Large Semi Dressy HAQ- Sweeping Seconds?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Large Semi Dressy HAQ- Sweeping Seconds?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Large Semi Dressy HAQ- Sweeping Seconds?

Hi All-

This is my first post on this sub forum. Apologies if my google skills are weak but I can't seem to find a large (45mm+) HAQ that would qualify as semi-dressy. These terms are subjective I know. I have an 8 inch wrist and many pieces 40mm and smaller are just too dainty for me and often are not very legible. Im looking for something without a dive style bezel and many chronographs are too cluttered for my taste.

I would ideally like something with a sweeping seconds feature, sapphire crystal, and great lume, if such a beast exists. I'mnot too concerned with price or brand. I am a noob to HAQs but I own a couple of mechanical watches and a spring drive tuna.

In looking around I've seen a few cool Bulovas like the 96b158, the UHF military, and the Lunar Pilot. I do not much care for the styling of most of the Percisionist line. Grand Seikos are very cool but many of their JDM models just aren't big enough for my taste.

Let me know what is out there. Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by jpress76; September 27th, 2018 at 05:55. Reason: Spelling and grammar

Re: Large Semi Dressy HAQ- Sweeping Seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by jpress76 View Post
    Hi All-

This is my first post on this sub forum. Apologies if my google skills are weak but I can't seem to find a large (45mm+) HAQ that would qualify as semi-dressy. These terms are subjective I know. I have an 8 inch wrist and many pieces 40mm and smaller are just too dainty to me and often are not very legiable. Im looking for something without a dive style bezel and many chronimeters are too cluttered for my taste.

I would ideally like something with a sweeping seconds feature, sapphire crystal, and great lume, if such a beast exists. Im not too comcerned with price or brand. I am a noob to HAQs but I own a couple of mechanical watches and a spring drive tuna.

In looking around I've seen a few cool Bulovas like the 96b158, the UHF military, and the Lunar Pilot. I do not much care for the styling of most of the Percisionist line. Grand Seikos are very cool but many of their JDM models just aren't big enough for my taste.

Let me know what is out there. Thank you for your time.
    I have a Bulova Lunar Pilot and a blue Lobster. You could dress up the Lobster, but the lume is just OK and the crystal is mineral. The Lunar Pilot is one of my favorite watches. The lume is also just OK but the dial is easy to read, the crystal is sapphire with AR, and it looks a heck of a lot like an Omega Speedmaster. Make sure that if you want the bracelet, you buy it with the bracelet. The bracelet and strap versions of the Lunar Pilot have lug holes in different places, so you can't fit a bracelet on the strap version. But you could always buy an aftermarket strap for the bracelet version.

hanks Aardy. I saw a pvd version of the lunar pilot I really liked. I could always pay a watch guy to put obscene amounts of lume on as a project. A moon watch should glow, right?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You just described a Bulova Sea King with a bracelet. This watch was discontinued the last time I checked, but you may still be able to find one. Either the Black Ionbond non-chronograph model or the stainless chronograph model might suit your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must really be living in an alternate reality - things just don't make logical sense anymore.

First:

Quote Originally Posted by jpress76 View Post
    Im looking for something without a dive style bezel ...
    The response:

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    You just described a Bulova Sea King with a bracelet.

or

In what reality are all these elements congruent?

Rant over/
    brandon\ likes this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I must really be living in an alternate reality - things just don't make logical sense anymore.

First:

The response:

or

In what reality are all these elements congruent?

Rant over/
    Ok, so 1 box is not checked. The rest are checked nicely. The OP may just as easily take or disregard my suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the suggestion Bill. Something in a compressor style case with an internal bezel MIGHT do, but that tractor-tire is a no go. You are right however in that in other respects it meets the criteria.

Gents- Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Besides Seiko/Citizen, Omega, Brietling, and Longines, and Bulova, whom should I be looking at? Are there "boutique" HAQ brands that might meet my requirements?

Not HAQ. And you’d have to buy used. And they don’t surface very often - maybe some Watch Recon and eBay alerts and want-to-buy posts will turn something up for you. But the Maratac Pilot quartz (large is what you’d be looking for). It ticks at 4 beats per second.

"Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Nice! Ill keep an eye out. I'm on WatchRecon often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information