Legibility question about two paper-dial +/-5 spy Citizens
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Legibility question about two paper-dial +/-5 spy Citizens

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Legibility question about two paper-dial +/-5 spy Citizens

White dial or black? I've been looking at these for a few months now, and finally decided that I want the no-lume models. So the choice is between the white dial (AQ4020-54Y) vs the black dial (AQ4020-03E).

Has anyone seen them in the metal? Which one seems more legible? If I go by photographs alone, the white wins for legibility. I ask because sometimes I've found the non-lume sword hands get lost if the dial is reflective. But these paper dials have a matte-finish effect, so both of them ought to be more legible. What do you think?

--Greg

--Greg

Re: Legibility question about two paper-dial +/-5 spy Citizens

Quote Originally Posted by GregNYC View Post
    White dial or black? I've been looking at these for a few months now, and finally decided that I want the no-lume models. So the choice is between the white dial (AQ4020-54Y) vs the black dial (AQ4020-03E).

Has anyone seen them in the metal? Which one seems more legible? If I go by photographs alone, the white wins for legibility. I ask because sometimes I've found the non-lume sword hands get lost if the dial is reflective. But these paper dials have a matte-finish effect, so both of them ought to be more legible. What do you think?

--Greg
    Since the hands on both are reflective silver, the choice is silver on black vs. silver on white:

Higher contrast usually means higher legibility, so to me the choice is obvious - black dial wins the legibility test hands down.

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

I wish they'd also do thermally blued, not just high-polish, as an option on the light dials. Or a more contrasting color of high-polish metal, like titanium nitride coating or rose gold PVD. Also wish they'd do some alternate hand shapes...Breguet, leaf, or spade. Heck, even lance hands are clearer than dauphine.
    GregNYC likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

These watches have also a high tridimensional effect coupled with high polished faces. Therefore even if the white dial could seem less contrasted, you should also consider the reflections of the many sides (the hands and the indices) as well as the different planes of the object in the dial which are able to help the readability. Also consider that the paper is matte while the rest of the elements are polished or brushed to this also helps a lot.

If you have the chance, I highly suggest to see it personally for a final judgment. If you cannot do that, I suggest you to go on youtube and look for the reviews. In fact obesrving the watch from several points of view and with "real light" (that is not with studio pictures) is completely different.
    Miguel likes this.

HAQ and AW moderator

Greg, have you checked to see if any of those models are in the Citizen store in Manhattan?

Ronald, I called the NYC store just last night. They have a waiting list, about 35 people, for these models. The one they have is the steel-cased AB9000-61E. I usually prefer matte-finish dials. But, I think you have inspired me to go in from Queens, NY to Manhattan and actually take a look.

Dicioccio, good idea to peruse the Youtube reviews.

Gangrel, I agree. If they had come out with a blued-hand model, I would probably own one already!

Gaijin, in your photos, the black wins. In Seiya's pictures, the white won out slightly. I will check some Youtube videos.

Thanks all!
    ronalddheld likes this.

--Greg

I decided to go for the white one (AQ4020-54Y). I asked Seiya if he could visually check it before shipping, to make sure about the second-hand alignment. He had done this twice in the past for me, but this time he politely declined. Maybe he won't be able to look before buying. He suggested that if alignment is important to me (it really is), I should buy from a store. That probably won't happen unless I travel to Tokyo. Any suggestions about where I could go from here?

--Greg

I decided to go for the white one (AQ4020-54Y). I asked Seiya if he could visually check it before shipping, to make sure about the second-hand alignment. He had done this twice in the past for me, but this time he politely declined. Maybe he won't be able to look before buying. He suggested that if alignment is important to me (it really is), I should buy from a store. That probably won't happen unless I travel to Tokyo. Any suggestions about where I could go from here?
    I bought mine from Seiya. Also have the Exceed 510 and an Attesa RC. All of them with perfectly aligned second hands. I think Citizen QA in this area is excellent.

Cheers,

Miguel

RPF

--Greg
    Depends on the ambient light. If it's dim indoors, the white dial wins hands down. In bright sunlight, the black dial is superior. For expensive watches, black dials also allow the applied markers and polished hands to catch the light and offset against a dark background, accentuating the jewelry-like sparkle. A white dial reduces the glitter effect.

I prefer white dials these days, all things considered.

Citizens feature list for the AQ4020 shows automatic correction for the "needle" but I'm not sure that relates directly to alignment with the markers.

Second hand stop function
    correction early date
    calendar update feature just 0 when
    the time difference correction
    amount of charge display function
    Charge warning function
    Overcharge prevention function
    shock detection feature
    automatic correction feature needle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information