Longines VHP Ti (174.2) manual?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kidblue

Thread: Longines VHP Ti (174.2) manual?

Longines VHP Ti (174.2) manual?

Finally got my hands on a gorgeous NOS VHP Ti ó came with the box and tag, but no manual.

Anyone seen a Longines manual/booklet scan for this specific model? I see plenty of data-sheets on the l174.2 (dual oscillator) and ETA caliber itís based on, but nothing specific from Longines up.

Also, if anyone has one of these and anything to share about itís functionality (specific to this model), Iíd love to hear it! Been a few years since a nice thread about these!

Thanks!

watchcrank likes this.

Re: Longines VHP Ti (174.2) manual?

Hi

I have one of these in a drawer I think somewhere. At the time I absolutely hated huge watches and absolutely loved my VHP. Now Iím the other way round!

The only story I have is that I used to wear it in the sea, and I think even scuba dived with it once, and the gold started to come of the bracelet!

Longines replaced the bracelet under warranty. Eventually the titanium tab on the bracelet that holds the clasp closed broke and in the drawer it went.

If I find it I will take a pic.

Nice to see one again. There cannot be many NOS ones out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kidblue View Post
    Finally got my hands on a gorgeous NOS VHP Ti ó came with the box and tag, but no manual.

Anyone seen a Longines manual/booklet scan for this specific model? I see plenty of data-sheets on the l174.2 (dual oscillator) and ETA caliber itís based on, but nothing specific from Longines up.

Also, if anyone has one of these and anything to share about itís functionality (specific to this model), Iíd love to hear it! Been a few years since a nice thread about these!

Thanks!
    I bought the exact same watch new over 30 years ago. Longines had already started their infuriating practice of including a generic instruction book, which made no reference to this specific watch and movement. They were still doing this in the early days of shipping the current VHP.

The documentation has long since disappeared from ETA's web site, but I do have scans of 5 pages of a technical document. If you want them please PM me an email address.

Not much to say about operation. Pull the crown one click to adjust the hour hand in either direction. Go through 24 hours to advance or retard the date. Two clicks to adjust the minutes and hack the seconds.

Don't rely on the integrity of the seals after all these years. This model is rather prone to moisture ingress, and you'll see many on eBay with pitting on the hands and dial, and flaking lume. Yours looks very good. Mine was my daily wear for 24 years and eventually died of internal corrosion caused by faulty sealing after a battery change by Swatch Service.

I found the date just about impossible to read except in perfect lighting. At the first battery change I got them to swap the date wheel for the one from the next model (identical except a much more robust bracelet). This was black numbers on a gold disc and was infinitely better. Here's a picture of the later watch (I got one of these NOS a couple of years ago). Note that the second hand is actually gold, not black.

Name:  IMG_0480.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  1.54 MB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi

I found my Ti one along with my later SS one. Here is a picture taken the other day. Apologies for the GS sneaking into the picture.

Name:  IMG_3899.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  1.96 MB

Thread Information