Longines VHP vs. the field
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Longines VHP vs. the field

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    PJR

Longines VHP vs. the field

I have an HAQ itch that needs to be scratched but don't know that much about them.

The Longines L37164966 (41mm, blue dial) has definitely caught my attention but I am wondering what else is out there.

Is there anything in the same approximate price range and size that is comparable that I should consider? My preference is an HAQ without radio, GPS, smartwatch, etc.

Re: Longines VHP vs. the field

Longines VHP is an outstanding bargain. I really don't think you can do better for the price. I wish they made a less sporty looking version. The water resistance rating is too low for me to consider it for a sport watch, yet too sporty looking for a dressier watch. The movement is outstanding, however, as is the finish. Second hand tick mark alignment is spot on, the perpetual calendar is sweet, and the shock protection is outstanding.
    Nietzsche_Darko likes this.

The other downside is it's not solar, and I dislike cracking a case for a battery change.

There's Certina, which is a step down in most respects (but also cheaper) and Seiko (Dolce and some Grand Seiko). No solar there. Solar HAQ is Citizen; the Exceed line is only a couple models, all of which are JDM only, but can be found here and there. And the Chronomaster/The Citizen line is their Grand Seiko equivalent. The Certinas are mostly casual to sporty; the Citizen and Seiko are dress watches.
    PJR and Shark-sandwich like this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

To clarify a little. If you want 5 spy at 750$, which is what that Longines is going for than there is nothing else in that price range. The Exceed line has literally two models at about 700$, their slightly smaller at 38.5mm and 10spy. As far as I know you are going to have a hard time finding any Grand Seiko or other HAQ Citizen below 1000$ even used. Seiko Dolce, not a clue what's out there or what they cost.

Certina like gangrel said has a bunch of offerings from 3 hand dress, to diver, to chronographs in the price range with the precidrive movement. The movement is specd at 10 spy but they tend to run a little ouside that. A bunch of other watch brands out there with that movement, for example you can search for a pretty common movement like the f0X.411 or 412 where X is equal to 4,5,6, or 7.

Of course there are the Bulova's with the UHF movements they tend to run about the same as the Certina's but nowhere near as accurate as the Longines.

Now of course we are talking about a watch, and like a car there are a lot of other factors. If when you are buying a car for the best gas mileage at the lowest cost and that's all you care about than Longines is your watch. If you are interested in a little less mpg or accuracy and want things like WR, chronographs, divers, etc. than there are options.
    PJR, drm7, tomchicago and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wbird View Post
    The Exceed line has literally two models at about 700$, their slightly smaller at 38.5mm and 10spy.
    Do you remember the model numbers of these 2 models ?

VHP looks like a fine watch to me and I am tempted by the 43mm version myself but I have read one or two people criticise the bracelet / clasp arrangement on VHP models lacking any fine adjustment, making a precise bracelet fit impossible.

I suppose it depends on how snug a fit the wearer is looking for - but is adjustment by removing and adding whole links good enough? I am assuming that Longines don't supply half links.

Also would be interested to know how difficult battery change is on these models. I know they last a long time but I read that DIY or non-Longines battery change may run into problems re-setting the watch especially regarding the perpetual date settings. Maybe that is a model specific issue?

Quote Originally Posted by SlowRunner View Post
    VHP looks like a fine watch to me and I am tempted by the 43mm version myself but I have read one or two people criticise the bracelet / clasp arrangement on VHP models lacking any fine adjustment, making a precise bracelet fit impossible.

I suppose it depends on how snug a fit the wearer is looking for - but is adjustment by removing and adding whole links good enough? I am assuming that Longines don't supply half links.
    The bracelet on the Conquest VHP comes with 5 removable full links and 2 removable half links - should be OK, no?

HTH
    Last edited by gaijin; January 22nd, 2019 at 19:11.
    SlowRunner likes this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Quote Originally Posted by dicioccio View Post
    Do you remember the model numbers of these 2 models ?
    On the Exceeds...the line is the AR4000. Specific model numbers: 4000 (bracelet, black dial), 4001, (blue croc strap and dial), 4002 (two tone). Can never know in advance which ones might be available.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    On the Exceeds...the line is the AR4000. Specific model numbers: 4000 (bracelet, black dial), 4001, (blue croc strap and dial), 4002 (two tone). Can never know in advance which ones might be available.
    Not sure if the 4000 is still part of their current line up, but the other two are definately there AR4001-01L, and the AR4002-17A. Both using the G530 movement. I have to correct my post, these are 37.5mm not 38.5mm. Citizen has them at a MSRP of closer to 800$ also.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The bracelet on the Conquest VHP comes with 5 removable full links and 2 removable half links - should be OK, no?
    Aha - I had not spotted the half links. Curious that the half links are machined flat on the side which is adjacent to the butterfly clasp unlike all the other full width links so I suppose OCD types may be offended by the lack of symmetry if they find they need to remove just one of them. Not exactly fine adjustment but better than I had appreciated - thanks for posting the pic.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information