WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Looking for a quality/accurate Swiss watch

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ronalddheld 
#1 ·
Hi,
Hoping I am posting in the proper forum. I have been looking at purchasing a Swiss quartz watch either from Victorinox or Tissot. Not sure if either company edges out the other in terms of accuracy and overall quality. The Tissot PR 100 looks great but I am after quality craftsmanship and accuracy above all.
Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
For serious accuracy, in the 10 to 15 seconds a year range, even ordinary quartz doesn't do it. You need a thermo-compensated (TC) movement. There are several such movements made by ETA and fitted to a variety of different makes. Breitling offer several and there is a German one by Sinn. There are several others and I'm sure other people will be happy to suggest specifics to you. My preferences seem to lead me to Japanese models but that's only because I haven't seen a Swiss model that is aesthetically appealing as well as functionally satisfying.
I don't believe either Victorinox or Tissot offer any TC movements at the moment, but I may be wrong.
I hope other members will be able to help you and that you find something you like.

#5 ·
I wholeheartedly agree with Chris!!!! I got a DS-2 Precidrive myself and i was so impressed I bought a DS First chronograph also!! Certina makes a wonderful watch for the money you will very hard pressed to beat them!! They are like a little secret here in the U.S. that on a true WIS will know anything about the brand, but the quality, fit and finish are impeccable! Certina is definitely a top notch maker.

#7 ·
I don't know what size watch cases you're used to wearing but I shouldn't think 39mm would present a problem for a skinny wrist. Mine are pretty skinny, at just under 7inches, and I have been fairly comfortable up to 40mm. I prefer 37 and 38mm, it's true, but 39 should work.
Good luck, anyway!

#8 ·
At the risk of becoming a Certina bore, if you are interested in a chronograph and want a brand-new, wholly Swiss, and highly accurate watch, then the Certina DS-2 PreciDrive ticks all the boxes at an extremely good price. You may find it mentioned occasionally on this forum
Good suggestion.

#9 ·
This has been accurate to the second since I first set it three weeks ago.

No messing about with changing the date on March 1 either, that will not happen for another two years

Sent from my banana using pataspork

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.