Morgenwerk minute hand play. Is it normal?

Thread: Morgenwerk minute hand play. Is it normal?

Morgenwerk minute hand play. Is it normal?

I got my new Morgenwerk M1-3 today. It's amazing. But an observation makes me worried a bit. When I lightly shake the watch, I can move the minute hand 1/10 of a minute, just enough to cause a small change in the alignment with minute marks on the dial, second hand has a small play too, but this is smaller in magnitude. Is this normal, within tolerance limits? Can you reproduce it? Or is it a totally a pathological finding?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Rigel; January 27th, 2020 at 19:52.

HAQ and AW moderator

Re: Morgenwerk minute hand play. Is it normal?

I do not own that model. Have you done a search here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/morgenwerk-778179.html

I can't speak for your model either. I own the M1-X. There is no play in the minute or second hands. Have you tried pressing 1 and 3 to perform a hand alignment and see if that fixes it? If not, next step is to contact the dealer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There is a very small amount of slack indeed, form a normal distance it is not there. But you have to look very closely to see it. My OCD is back in business. Actually, it is quite less of a problem than most analog watches with alignment problems. I am relieved somehow today after seeing the photographs of other M1's on the internet with much worse alignments, some of them are perfect midway between minute marks, mine ticks right at the bulls eye at least. And if you vigorously shake it, the minute moves a 10% of a minute at most which is more than acceptable to me after the first 24 hours with it. The torque release system may have something to do with it according to Arne. I am not annoyed with it any more. But checking the accuracy is my new obsession. The watch's perfect precision/accuracy is more annoying than anything. You look for a very small deviation in vein, you spend a lot of energy to observe a millionth of a second deviation, it is exhausting.

Well, there is some offset, perhaps as much as .4 seconds in places. Here's quick video (shaking included).
    https://youtu.be/z03Za0-IVGw

I don't like second or minute hands missing the mark, but I'll settle for the best I can get and this model works for me.
    Last edited by signum8; January 29th, 2020 at 01:35.

Thread Information