New 9F GMT vs 8F56
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New 9F GMT vs 8F56

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New 9F GMT vs 8F56

So my 35th birthday is coming up in November. For a while now I’ve been promising myself the black dial Grand Seiko 9F GMT (SBGN003). I already own a 9F (SBGX095) so the the movement has has already proven itself to me beyond its stated capabilities.

Recently thought I’ve come to learn about Seiko’s other and lesser(?) HAQ watches and movements. One in particular is the SBCJ Alpinist with the 8F56 movement.

It’s quite obvious IMHO that the 9F is the far superior movement. Superior in accuracy and craftsmanship, but somehow I find myself drawn to the SBCJ.

For one, the price of a SBCJ is about 1/3 of the GS. Now, I have no problem spending $3k on a watch, be it mechanical or quartz, but in going with a SBCJ am I basically getting the same watch and saving $2000? Maybe even more?

Additionally, the SBCJs have a quiet, understated charm about them that is missing from the SBGNs (though I would agree that they are certainly less flashy than similar offerings) and this is something I really appreciate.

One of the main issues that’s holding me back from the Alpinists is the ruggedness and reliability of the 8F56 in the long term. Already (10-15 years on) there are reports of 8F56 movements losing accuracy and I’m not thrilled that you can’t reset the perpetual calendar on your own if needed. Again, the 9Fs would certainly be superior in this aspect.

Thoughts? Am I acting crazy by even putting these two timepieces in the same class or is this just the typical watch collecting neuroses that we all have?
    Last edited by DECO665; September 26th, 2019 at 15:58.

Re: New 9F GMT vs 8F56

One of the main issues that’s holding me back from the Alpinists is the ruggedness and reliability of the 8F56 in the long term. Already (10-15 years on) there are reports of 8F56 movements losing accuracy and I’m not thrilled that you can’t reset the perpetual calendar on your own if needed. Again, the 9Fs would certainly be superior in this aspect.
    I think you will find the 8F56 movement to be plenty rugged and reliable. It should continue running and be reasonably accurate long after the watch itself shows significant cosmetic wear. It won't be quite as accurate as when new but acceptable for an aging haq. The perpetual calendar can be reset at home when that 10 year battery finally gives out. The setting process is at best fiddly but can be done with steel tweezers or a small jumper. Those are my observations based on a Seiko SLT015 that I owned for about 18 years.

I would focus more on each watch as a whole rather than the movement. In your position I would be tempted by an Alpinist in really nice condition.
    Tom-HK likes this.

HAQ and AW moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DECO665 View Post
    So my 35th birthday is coming up in November. For a while now I’ve been promising myself the black dial Grand Seiko 9F GMT (SBGN003). I already own a 9F (SBGX095) so the the movement has has already proven itself to me beyond its stated capabilities.

Recently thought I’ve come to learn about Seiko’s other and lesser(?) HAQ watches and movements. One in particular is the SBCJ Alpinist with the 8F56 movement.

It’s quite obvious IMHO that the 9F is the far superior movement. Superior in accuracy and craftsmanship, but somehow I find myself drawn to the SBCJ.

For one, the price of a SBCJ is about 1/3 of the GS. Now, I have no problem spending $3k on a watch, be it mechanical or quartz, but in going with a SBCJ am I basically getting the same watch and saving $2000? Maybe even more?

Additionally, the SBCJs have a quiet, understated charm about them that is missing from the SBGNs (though I would agree that they are certainly less flashy than similar offerings) and this is something I really appreciate.

Thoughts? Am I acting crazy by even putting these two timepieces in the same class or is this just the typical watch collecting neuroses that we all have?
    Have you done any searches in this forum, to help you decide?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have 8F's and 9F's. Both have been trouble free. Same for my 7A's and 5856's, some more than 30 years old.
    Money wise, the 8F Alpinists are classic and unlikely to lose value while the SBGN's are fairly new, still in production and can be found at a discount. The SBCJ's are also a smaller size, uncommon in GS's current lineup.
    Buy what looks good to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    Have you done any searches in this forum, to help you decide?
    Yes, sure have. Was able to learn a lot. Again, the 8F56 appears to be very highly regarded but what worries me most about the movement is its serviceability.

I know the 8F has been out of production now for a while and, though Seiko will service the battery, from what I've read they are unable to service the movement itself. Also, from what I've read, the 8F cannot be regulated.

Agree @Watch19. The SBCJs are certainly smaller. Something that greatly appeals to me. Though, the SBGNs are not that much bigger, 2mm max.

Quote Originally Posted by DECO665 View Post
    ...I know the 8F has been out of production now for a while and, though Seiko will service the battery, from what I've read they are unable to service the movement itself. Also, from what I've read, the 8F cannot be regulated...
    - Seiko can service the 8F movements (they can service even older movements as well).
    - The 8F movements can be regulated (by pattern cutting) however the steps of adjustments are fairly coarse and limited and practically non-reversible (but that is still better than the no regulation option found with some other watches).
    - The search engine of WUS is very good, use it!
    Last edited by ppaulusz; September 28th, 2019 at 07:44. Reason: spelling
    Tom-HK likes this.

ppaulusz posted
    - The 8F movements can be regulated (by pattern cutting)
    I do not know what pattern cutting is -sounds interesting

I did try and did read the 'help' but still failed to get anywhere.
    pattern cutting or (pattern cutting) returned hundreds of hits because it looked for words 'pattern' & 'cutting'.
    "pattern cutting" returned
    -the following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search-
    Am I doing something wrong ?
    Wempe Quartz Marine Chronometer, Longines VHP, GO Senator Excellence

HAQ and AW moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    Spot on, thanks
    ronalddheld likes this.
    Wempe Quartz Marine Chronometer, Longines VHP, GO Senator Excellence

Quote Originally Posted by ppaulusz View Post
    - Seiko can service the 8F movements (they can service even older movements as well).
    - The 8F movements can be regulated (by pattern cutting) however the steps of adjustments are fairly coarse and limited and practically non-reversible (but that is still better than the no regulation option found with some other watches).
    Interesting, interesting. That would certainly be a plus.

I've gone ahead and have a call into the service center for Seiko USA as well as an email. I'll let you know what they say

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information