New HAQ, and a question
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Tom-HK
  • 2 Post By watchcrank_tx

Thread: New HAQ, and a question

New HAQ, and a question

Having only been a watch collector for a short time, I'm still discovering new kinds of watches. Recently I picked up my first HAQ, a Seiko SBCM009 "Pippin" with the beautiful teal dial (pictures don't do it justice.) It is in fantastic condition for being a nearly 20 year old watch, and came with the box and original paperwork showing it was purchased in 2002 in Saudi Arabia. The seller didn't know how to reset the perpetual calendar but a quick Google search yielded a You Tube video and I now have the Pippin running like new.

The only issue I have is the bracelet j-u-s-t fits me. It'd be nice to add an extra link so that it isn't as snug. Does anyone have or know where I can find one extra link, or perhaps a dead watch that I can salvage the bracelet from? I know it might be a long shot but I figure if anyone knows, it will be somebody here!

Name:  SAM_1398.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  245.9 KBName:  SAM_1399.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  194.7 KB
    "Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars." - Casey Kasem (1932-2014)

Re: New HAQ, and a question

It's always nice to have a HAQ perpetual calendar and Seiko's 8Fs have served me well in the past, so I hope you will get a lot of mileage out of your new watch. As I see it you have three options regarding the bracelet:

1. Get a new clasp for your existing bracelet. There are many generic clasps out there that can extend your bracelet by varying amounts. If you do this, be sure to keep the original Seiko clasp in case you ever sell the watch. It's people discarding spare links that leaves the world full of second hand watches that don't fit properly.

2. Keep scouring eBay for the appropriate model of bracelet or spare links or even a very cheap, very poor condition, non-working SBCM009 that is being sold for parts. Don't forget that similar or even identical bracelets will be found on other Seiko watches, so look at other Seiko 8F watches and in particular other SBCM models.

3. Try to find a generic replacement bracelet or strap. Given the lug design, your options here will be rather limited but there are sure to be some that will fit.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

Tom has given some very good pointers. You might also want to ask in f21, the Seiko forum here on Watchuseek.
    ronalddheld and BoppinVinnieB like this.
    - Stephen

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the responses, guys! As it turns out, the seller had 2 extra links that were supposed to have been sent with the watch but weren't. He's sending those to me, so all will be good. I have to say, the more I look at this dial the more I love the color! Now I may have to put feelers out for other SBCMs, lol.
    "Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars." - Casey Kasem (1932-2014)

My experience with the 8F was that it was insanely accurate as long as it was worn... if it took it off it would drop off to pretty much standard quartz accuracy at around +6s/month. Awesome bang for the buck movement nevertheless! 9F was another story, +3s/year worn or not, but of course, huge price difference.
    Last edited by Magic-Matt; September 25th, 2019 at 18:28.
    A wise man closes his mouth sooner that his doors!

Thread Information