New release Chronomasters
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: New release Chronomasters

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

New release Chronomasters

I don't think these have been mentioned yet; I searched on the model number and nothing showed, other than the comment I'd made earlier in the 0100 thread.

AQ4040 series. 3 models, titanium, standard dial rather than paper dial. 2 regular edition on bracelet, one eagle-stamped 5 SPY LE on strap, linked here:

https://citizen.jp/product/the-citiz..._no=AQ4040-06A

Nice size, too, altho I suspect the lug width is gonna be the slightly awkward 19. Well that's why I bookmark strap sites too. :)
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

Re: New release Chronomasters

The eagle stamp looks great!
    Igorek and brandon\ like this.

Nice watch. Compared to the washi paper models, the elimination of the crown guards gives a more formal look. The upper picture shows a polished rehaut that's missing on the second pic. If that's how the watch is really made, it also adds to the formal look.
    The minute hand is slightly short of reaching the markers but gets closer than most Citizens. The lumed hands are even shorter on the washi paper AQ4020 models - enough to keep me from buying one. Wonder if the A060 movement doesn't have sufficient torque so the hands are shortened to compensate for the added weight of the lume?
    In general, short hands seems to be a Citizen design trait.
    Tom-HK likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    I don't think these have been mentioned yet; I searched on the model number and nothing showed, other than the comment I'd made earlier in the 0100 thread.

AQ4040 series. 3 models, titanium, standard dial rather than paper dial. 2 regular edition on bracelet, one eagle-stamped 5 SPY LE on strap, linked here:

https://citizen.jp/product/the-citiz..._no=AQ4040-06A

Nice size, too, altho I suspect the lug width is gonna be the slightly awkward 19. Well that's why I bookmark strap sites too. :)
    19mm is easy, a 23mm lug width is the tricky one. Citizen has 23mm spaced lugs in several of their watches and it's a royal pain to find a strap for them. In my case I had to resort to a custom made strap since the 23mm spacing also required curved spring bars due to the tight case/spring bar spacing (I could not squeeze a 24mm strap in there and not scrape the strap at the case contact point).

One of my Longines automatics uses 19mm and it was very easy to find a great looking replacement at several price points, colors and styles. You won't have a problem finding a 19mm replacement from many reputable vendors unlike a 23mm.

I'm still seriously wondering what watches will get the eagle stamp moving forward, once the 0100 is released. 5 SPY suddenly loses some luster. Not a lot; it's still bloody awesome, IMO. But it won't be king of the hill any more, which would seem to be the purview to wear the gold eagle.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post

AQ4040 series. 3 models, titanium, standard dial rather than paper dial. 2 regular edition on bracelet, one eagle-stamped 5 SPY LE on strap:
    gangrel, Thanks so much for posting this! I didn't know about it. I think I like this even more than the white washi-paper AQ4020 model, for reasons I'll mention below.....

Quote Originally Posted by Watch19 View Post
    Nice watch. Compared to the washi paper models, the elimination of the crown guards gives a more formal look. The upper picture shows a polished rehaut that's missing on the second pic. If that's how the watch is really made, it also adds to the formal look.
    The minute hand is slightly short of reaching the markers but gets closer than most Citizens. The lumed hands are even shorter on the washi paper AQ4020 models - enough to keep me from buying one. Wonder if the A060 movement doesn't have sufficient torque so the hands are shortened to compensate for the added weight of the lume?
    Watch19, I couldn't agree more. I began to think about the short-hands issue in 2010, when the classic Rolex Explorer went from a 36mm case to a 39mm case but kept the same shorter hands. Ever since then, I've been on the lookout. I just can't enjoy a watch if the hands are too short. I can't un-see short hands.

On these "The Citizens," I think you may be onto something about the lumed vs. un-lumed hands. The lumed hands are a little wider and shorter. I was talking to the manager of the Citizen Boutique in NYC. He said something in passing about the intended design of these Chronomasters being a dressy watch, and that the designers have the non-lumed hands in mind. The many times I have seen The Citizen displays in Tokyo at Yodobashi and Bic Camera stores over the years, most of the vast majority models are not lumed. (Same for Grand Seiko non-sport models.) I prefer the non-lumed models. And I wish they were a little longer or thicker at the tips.

I had been favoring the Washi-paper AQ4020-03A. But now I think I prefer this new (to me) AQ4040-06 for the sake of legibility. I do see it on some Japanese sales sites. I might ask Seiya about it.....
    Last edited by GregNYC; January 29th, 2019 at 00:21.

--Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Watch19 View Post
    In general, short hands seems to be a Citizen design trait.
    Small correction: The AQ4020 models don't have lume; the AQ4030 models do. Also, the AQ4030 line is slightly bigger (38.4mm v. 37.5mm) than the AQ4020, so that may add to the perception of shorter hands.
    ------------------------------------

(Almost) every watch a tool watch.

Quote Originally Posted by tmathes View Post
    19mm is easy, a 23mm lug width is the tricky one. Citizen has 23mm spaced lugs in several of their watches and it's a royal pain to find a strap for them. In my case I had to resort to a custom made strap since the 23mm spacing also required curved spring bars due to the tight case/spring bar spacing (I could not squeeze a 24mm strap in there and not scrape the strap at the case contact point).

One of my Longines automatics uses 19mm and it was very easy to find a great looking replacement at several price points, colors and styles. You won't have a problem finding a 19mm replacement from many reputable vendors unlike a 23mm.
    You can get 23mm straps that are made for Fitbit. I have a black leather one I got for my Citizen Satellite Wave GPS. The buckles are not super nice, but they do fit.

I think the LE is nice but I wonder how many people will kick out the extra 1000$ for the blue titanium model, versus the stainless steel version. The case size is very similar, and obviously the titanium version will be much lighter but strangely enough it is slightly thicker. I think the bracelet and hands on the new models looks much nicer and better than what is on previous models.

Nice to see Citizen popping the A060 movement in new cases, but honestly how about a new HAQ movement with say a chronograph. Maybe a moonphase that is the most accurate quartz one in the world. A HAQ triple date, perpetual calendar, moonphase, chronograph would be something that would bear comparisons with finest watches in the world.
    dicioccio and Persecki like this.

I'm just looking at the US site right now, but Citizen doesn't do clean full-calendar displays at all, as far as I can see. Most are in the Promaster line...severely busy with subdials and stuff. And moon phase? I don't think there's a single one, unless it's a Campanola. Same with Seiko, IIRC. Direct motor control of a moon phase should make for near-perfect accuracy; you don't necessarily have to find the perfect gearing. There are some nice, pretty clean 2- and 3-register chronographs. Perhaps the problem here is, all of Citizen's HAQs are dress pieces. Perhaps it's a perception thing...the buyer of a sporty watch isn't perceived to be looking for that kind of accuracy, that's the province of the office.
    dicioccio likes this.
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information