New Seiko Astron GPS 5X movement an HAQ?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By DayDatenut
  • 2 Post By DayDatenut

Thread: New Seiko Astron GPS 5X movement an HAQ?

New Seiko Astron GPS 5X movement an HAQ?

Hi everyone

I have been sitting back waiting for these Astron Solar GPS watches to get practical (ie wearable on a 7 1/4 inch wrist)

40-42mm is about my size.

The new Astron Solar GPS with the 5X movement is the smallest GPS watch ever made (according to Seiko) comes in at 42.9mm x 12.2mm

Though unsync'd the movement is only +/- 15 sec a month? Would you all consider with GPS sync it is more of an HAQ?

Apparently the movement syncs automatically each day it first sees daylight and then once more each day at a user selected interval.

Radio Atomic Sync is impractical for me as I don't live anywhere near a tower.

How accurate to atomic time is GPS sync?

Thanks

Re: New Seiko Astron GPS 5X movement an HAQ?

No

Quote Originally Posted by hughesyn View Post
    No
    Sure.

Do you know the answers to my GPS sync question? How accurate is it?

I am attracted to this watch because with daily automatic time sync on two occasions and a solar battery that for all intense and purposes never needs replacing..... it kind of acts like an HAQ right?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you use the search function at the upper right on this forum and search for "HAQ definition", it will take you to this thread --> https://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/haq...haq+definition

That should answer most of your questions.

Also, if you had a RC watch on one wrist and a GPS watch on the other and they were both recently sync'ed, you would not be able to tell any difference in the displayed time.

I hope this helps you...
    wappinghigh and bmfang like this.

HAQ and AW moderator

HAQ now is <=10 s/y by performance not manufacturer spec.

That helps a lot!

Thanks everyone!

Sure... it all comes down to practical semantics...

I think I will get two quartz watches this year...

One with a Seiko GPS 5X movement (practical "world time", sports watch) and the other " a true" HAQ...>
    One with a Citizen Ca, 0.0100 movement (when I am in "purest" mode). Hopefully there will be a slightly smaller ...say 40mm...dress style variety :)

Both solar
    Both never replace the battery (practically speaking)
    Both highly accurate (in their own ways)

Who said Quartz was dead?!

Exciting times for Quartz lovers....

Are there any links on GPS vs Radio accuracy (to Atomic time) ?

thanks!!!
    Last edited by wappinghigh; January 14th, 2019 at 23:30.

https://www.gps.gov/applications/timing/

Quote in blue text comes from link above:

In addition to longitude, latitude, and altitude, the Global Positioning System (GPS) provides a critical fourth dimension – time. Each GPS satellite contains multiple atomic clocks that contribute very precise time data to the GPS signals. GPS receivers decode these signals, effectively synchronizing each receiver to the atomic clocks. This enables users to determine the time to within 100 billionths of a second, without the cost of owning and operating atomic clocks.
    wappinghigh and SlowRunner like this.

Yep everyone is so helpful on this forum.

First up, I am going with this Seiko movement... finally a Solar GPS that is a decent and practical size...

I am more than happy with the accuracy of an automatic twice daily set and forget GPS sync'd time on a wrist watch with analog hands!...

Each time it drifts a second (or a bit less?) a day... KBOOM... it snaps right back again automatically next morning...

Seiko (and later Citizen with their .0100) will be hitting the Quartz ball outta the park this year!

thanks everyone !

W

GPS receivers should be able to produce a time reference which is spectacularly accurate, 0.1 millionth of a second is theoretically do-able. They just need a decent lock on multiple satellites.

It is interesting to note that GPS and Solar seem to exist hand-in-hand in watches - I understand that this combo typically needs about four times as long to charge in a given light source for the same run time as a comparable non-GPS solar watch. This is due to the increased current drain caused by the GPS receiver of course.

I built a homebrew GPS disciplined digital clock recently to use as a handy master time reference for testing/calibration some prototype HAQ digital clocks - the GPS receiver works fine indoors, typically receives around 10 satellites (receiving both GPS and GLONASS) and I'd say that that for most horology-related uses GPS can be considered near enough perfect as a reference.

Thread Information