A nice find in the wild
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Texas Don

Thread: A nice find in the wild

A nice find in the wild

This watch was a totally unexpected surprise. I occasionally drop in at one of several local Goodwill stores in my area. I've donated to them for years and usually while there, I'll browse the watches and lamps. I purchased my Dazor 2324 articulated lamp that illuminates my watch work station at a Goodwill store for less than $20 once upon a time. This visit, I found a totally unexpected little prize.

It was a Seiko 8F32-0019 manufactured in May/1998 still new in the box. It was offered for $21 as it wasn't working. I purchased it and brought it home, then began researching this particular watch. It was given as a game premium at the Big XII Championship Game, sponsored by Dr. Pepper, Inc. Probably in the 1998 game but that isn't certain. It could have been later. These watches had a commemorative dial installed and were presented to coaches, staff, players, etc. I suspect that this one was placed on a shelf in a closet and totally forgotten. The CR2412 (10 year battery) died and the watch lost its program. There it sat until someone donated it to Goodwill. In addition to replacing the battery and reprogramming the watch, I noted that the date changed at 21:30 instead of midnight. Also the second hand was off by 1/2 the distance between marks.

These watches were almost certainly supplied to Dr. Pepper by a specialty advertising company who changed the dials and did a sloppy job of reinstalling the hands. I've corrected all of that. When I opened the watch, it was obvious that nobody had been inside it since it was new. Even the thin red insulating material was still installed beneath the battery. There were no marks on the various points that you short to the positive side of the battery while programming it either. I've been over the watch with magnification and a strong lite and I can't find a single scratch anywhere. Literally it is in new condition. The tag in the photo was still attached to the bracelet as well. The only thing missing that I can see is the instruction book. This one will be worn by me in my regular rotation. Name:  Seiko8F32.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  1.48 MB
    Last edited by Texas Don; January 11th, 2019 at 03:02.
    bmfang and BillSWPA like this.

Re: A nice find in the wild

Great find!

Re: A nice find in the wild

sweet!

Thread Information