Omega X-33 accuracy

Thread: Omega X-33 accuracy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega X-33 accuracy

Hello,

How is the accuracy adjusted on the Omega X-33?

Does anyone know?

Can any watchmaker do this for me?

My X-33 gains +3s every week. It used to be max +1s per month. It got worse after Omega Biel-Bienne have repaired it. Although my watch is still under waranty, I've lost confidence in Omega Bienne.
    They also managed to misallign the bezel, and the pushfunction of the crown also isn't what it's supposed to be after it returned.

Greetings,
    Frank

Re: Omega X-33 accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by frank_be
    Hello,

Does anyone know?

My X-33 gains +3s every week. It used to be max +1s per month. It got worse after Omega Biel-Bienne have repaired it. Although my watch is still under waranty, I've lost confidence in Omega Bienne.
    They also managed to misallign the bezel, and the pushfunction of the crown also isn't what it's supposed to be after it returned.

Greetings,
    Frank
    Hi Frank. I'm not specifically familiar with the movement in the X-33, so I can only give you some general comments.

1. It is not thermocompensated, and so 12 seconds per month is probably in spec. for it.

2. It's a shame that it came back with new problems (and a bit surprising as Bienne has a good rep). I would consider asking them to address these issues. A pain in terms of time and hassle, I know.

3. I suspect that they could regulate it while there. You might ask them to fine tune the regulation. Of course, given your experience, there's no guarantee that this would work.

Sorry I couldn't help more, and best of luck with it!

HAQ and AW moderator

I should have posts quoting the yearly error.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The accuracy for the X-33 is +/- 0,1 sec/day or +/- 36,5 sec/year.
    Breitling Airwolf
    Citizen Crystron 4 Mega (Cal 7370)
    Longines Conquest VHP Perpetual Calendar
    Omega Marine Chronometer (Cal 1511)
    Rolex Datejust Oysterquartz (Cal 5035, Mark I)
    Seiko Prospex Perpetual Calendar
    Seiko Twin Quartz (Cal 9923)
    Sjöö Sandström ORC Extreme Black

Panos
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by panosd
    The accuracy for the X-33 is +/- 0,1 sec/day or +/- 36,5 sec/year.
    Thanks for the info, panosd! With that info, Frank's is definitely running well out of spec. since coming back from Bienne. Given this and the other problems, I'd return it and insist that they address all of these issues.

I wonder if this implies that the X-33 is thermocompensated? I would guess not, and conjecture instead that it is just more carefully adjusted than normal, but I would be open to correction.

My Omega X 33 is slow (-1.5s per week). I do not expect it to be spot on accurate, but it annoys me when a watch is slow.

Some Quartz watches seem to have a screw inside which allows to adjust the watch. Does anybody have any experience in adjusting the X33 themselves please?

Thank you!

CFR

Quote Originally Posted by frank_be View Post
    Hello,

Does anyone know?

Greetings,
    Frank

Sorry to hear this, Frank. I've had a 1st-generation X-33 for about 6 years, and I've found that accuracy has varied over time. When the X-33 was introduced, the Owner's Manual said accuracy should be +/- 0.1 sec/day (see pics). Lots of people like me returned their X-33s to Omega for adjustment when they failed to come anywhere near this right out of the box. I THINK Omega eventually eliminated the "precision" spec from the manual -- panosd, if you're reading this, do you know if that 0.1 sec/day spec is printed in the 2nd-generation X-33 manuals?

My dealer agreed to try an experiment with me: One day he set all the X-33's he had in stock to atomic time (I think he had 5 of them) and left them untouched in the safe for a few weeks. When he checked them, only 1 was keeping time within the 0.1 sec/day (3 sec/month) spec . . . and that, of course, was the one that I bought! Since then, it has gotten worse, although I can't give you a number (but I did just set it -- it was 12 sec. fast -- so I can check again in a few weeks). I think it's better than 3 sec/week, though. I wish I knew more about how to adjust it -- it'd be nice to know. If I were you, I'd send it back to Bienne -- sounds like it can't get much worse!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by CFR; January 21st, 2007 at 02:07.

HAQ and AW moderator

For several years I have posted my X-33 accuracies. You can check into those.

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    My dealer agreed to try an experiment with me: One day he set all the X-33's he had in stock to atomic time (I think he had 5 of them) and left them untouched in the safe for a few weeks. When he checked them, only 1 was keeping time within the 0.1 sec/day (3 sec/month) spec . . . and that, of course, was the one that I bought!
    That's quite the subtle tactic! I predict that more than one of us accuracy obsessed HEQ WIS's will attempt to emulate this.

Belgium - Louvain ( near Brussels ) = UTC +1

Hallo Frank,

Nice to meet a Belgian watch-lover

Op deze site spreekt men van 36 seconden per jaar....

http://www.bobthayerjr.com/wb5apd/quartz-accuracy.html

Wil je echt een hele precieze, dan kan ik je de Breitling B-1 aanbevelen.

Mods: sorry for a little Flemish talk !
    Just happy to meet antother Belgian !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information