Quartz in Tag Heuer acqua racer 41mm
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nokie

Thread: Quartz in Tag Heuer acqua racer 41mm

Quartz in Tag Heuer acqua racer 41mm

Dear Quartz fans;
    I'm enjoying a Grand Seiko 9F as weekend watch. I love the style and it's always accurately keeping the time which makes me happy.
    I'm now trying to find the best "beater"..a watch I can wear more easily, relatively cheap, toss here and there without being too much worried about.
    The Tag Heuer acquaracer line seems a potential candidate, as frequently retail for about 1000€ and with 300m of water resistance.
    I understand they use the Ronda 6003 on the date version and Ronda 4003.b on the date/alarm version.
    Unfortunately the accuracy of those movements seems standard with -10/+20 month.
    Anybody has experience with those watches?
    Can the Ronda 6003 (date at 3) be swapped with a high precision ETA? (Like the flatline E64.111) ?
    Would you think that would be worthwhile exploring?
    The other non quartz candidate I have in mind is the Tudor black bay 36..
    Any additional idea?

Re: Quartz in Tag Heuer acqua racer 41mm

Nothing wrong with a GS beater, in my book, but if you're after something a bit less shiny and a bit more robust, then what about a Sinn UX?
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-HK View Post
    Nothing wrong with a GS beater, in my book, but if you're after something a bit less shiny and a bit more robust, then what about a Sinn UX?
    I had my eyes on Sinn for a while; but 44mm is rather big for my taste. 2000€ for a bracelet version also is above what I consider worth spending on a watch I would like to treat without too much care.. it's a great watch but not what I'm looking for I'm afraid..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One of Certina's HAQ's perhaps?
    Barbababa likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    One of Certina's HAQ's perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokiechris View Post
    I didn't know that collection.. And I've to say the titanium model with rotating bezel looks very nice, well prized And with 300 m of water resistance. I'll have to find a store to check how it wears as 43mm is might be too big for me. I remember I tried once the ph200 heritage which is a 42mm and felt it to big..

Quote Originally Posted by Uhhman View Post
    Dear Quartz fans;
    I'm enjoying a Grand Seiko 9F as weekend watch. I love the style and it's always accurately keeping the time which makes me happy.
    I'm now trying to find the best "beater"..a watch I can wear more easily, relatively cheap, toss here and there without being too much worried about.
    The Tag Heuer acquaracer line seems a potential candidate, as frequently retail for about 1000€ and with 300m of water resistance.
    I understand they use the Ronda 6003 on the date version and Ronda 4003.b on the date/alarm version.
    Unfortunately the accuracy of those movements seems standard with -10/+20 month.
    Can the Ronda 6003 (date at 3) be swapped with a high precision ETA? (Like the flatline E64.111) ?
    Any additional idea?
    I had a WAY1112.BA0928 a few years back. I gifted it to one of my sons... I am pretty sure it had a Ronda, and I am pretty sure the newer models have ETA. Like all quartz movements they will perform better when worn. I can say that it´s a heavy watch. The Certina, and especially in Ti should be a better candidate I think.

Dear Quartz fans;
    Any additional idea?
    Well I've had a Tag and have a Certina. I can give a few of my experiences with both brands and watches. I think the case, bezel alignment, bracelet, and detail on hands and dial are nicer on the Tag. The Tag also weighs a little more, I like that others might not. As for accuracy, the Certina will be better, how much you notice this difference well that depends on the individual.

Could you swap the movement, maybe. You might try it on an older non-working Tag. Easy enough to match up the widths and thicknesses of the movements, the key thing will be will the date wheel align with the window, and if you could reuse the hands. Not very cost effective to do on a new watch, not sure how cheaply it could be done on an old watch. Of course your frakenwatch will void any warranties, but probably not as big a deal with quartz.

If you can't live with Tag accuracy, than you can look at used Breitlings, new Certinas, and the lowest cost option a Bulova with a UHF movement. Obviously they are all sportier than anything Seiko or Citizen offer in their HAQ lines, but they also tend to be bigger. Lastly your other option is an Apple watch if you have an Apple phone, yes it is HAQ, and fits into the beater category for a lot of people.

Trying to answer your questions... ;) I am pretty sure you can swap movement with out any problems if its the newer Aquaracers with ETA caliber. I swapped my Longines La grande classic movement to a Precidrive. Same dimensions on everything, even the hands :) If you find all the specs of the Ronda 6003 you can find the specs on the E64.111 on the ETA webpage for comparison.
    As a cheap beater I would also point you to the Tissot PR100 COSC. Cheap and versitile with Precidrive, also avalible in Titanium with regular Precidrive.

Grand Seiko SBGN003 is my beater watch, exactly right size and more streamlined (takes less hits) than a diver, which usually are the most popular beaters.

Here it is at work, camp II on Aconcagua (strap from Hamilton Field Khaki):

Name:  GS_9F_Aconcagua.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  276.3 KB

I also have a Certina DS diver with ETA 2824-2, and if you can get one of those with HAQ caliber it certainly makes a good traditional beater, but vastly more accurate of course.

I used to have one chronograph with the best Ronda quartz mechanism, and while it is not HAQ, it was running at about +15 SPY, not bad at all.

Thread Information