Question about Cartier quartz movements

Thread: Question about Cartier quartz movements

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    109

    Question about Cartier quartz movements

    Looking at the Cartier Tank line of watches I see that they use a variety of quartz movements, which I assume to be ETA? What are the key differences between these movement numbers? I'm much more familiar with automatic/manual movements, so please excuse my ignorance if this has already been discussed ad-infinitum

    - Tank Francaise small: Cartier Caliber 057
    - Tank Francaise medium: Cartier Caliber 175 A
    - Tank Solo small: Cartier Caliber 157
    - Tank Solo large: Cartier Caliber 690
    - Tank Louis Cartier small: Cartier Caliber 057
    - Tank Louis Cartier large: Cartier Caliber 688
    - Tank Americaine small: Cartier Caliber 157

    Are these considered to be on the higher end of quartz movements?

    cheers,
    elapsed

  2. #2
    RPF
    RPF is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,810

    Re: Question about Cartier quartz movements

    They are inhouse calibres, unfortunately. Ebel uses a couple of them too, under a Ebel calibre designation.

    To my knowledge, the parts/movements are only available from them.

    Accuracy wise, they're normal, meaning +-15s/month, like 99+% of quartz watches.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    2,266

    Re: Question about Cartier quartz movements

    Although the Cartier quartz movements do not, in general, produce the kind of accuracy that we have tended to associate with HEQ (± 20 sec./year seems to be our unwritten standard), these movements are, from pictures I've seen, beautifully finished--like the watches themselves. I have one Cartier quartz (a must de Cartier from around 1990) that has stayed within about 4 seconds a month for years. Although one can't infer much from a sample of one, the Cartier quartz movements, although not thermocompensated, may, as a group, beat the usual ± 15 sec./month standard because of more careful set-up and calibration, and better quality materials and assembly. Perhaps others have looked into this in more detail.

    Have you tried corresponding with Cartier aboout their movements? A quick stop at the Cartier boutique on Howe Street might get you the name of a contact person who could answer your questions. The Otto Friedl shop in the Hotel Vancouver service Cartier watches and might have some answers.

    Last edited by South Pender; July 26th, 2010 at 16:34.
    Vancouver

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,107

    Re: Question about Cartier quartz movements

    Quote Originally Posted by South Pender View Post
    ...
    I have one Cartier quartz (a must de Cartier from around 1990) that has stayed within about 4 seconds a month for years. Although one can't infer much from a sample of one, the Cartier quartz movements, although not thermocompensated, may, as a group, beat the usual ± 15 sec./month standard because of more careful set-up and calibration, and better quality materials and assembly. Perhaps others have looked into this in more detail.
    ...
    All the decent quartz models will beat the 15s/month when kept in a rather controlled temperature interval - the 15s/month is for good manufacturers just a more secure limit for more unusual temperatures! Pretty much all my quartz models are somewhere under 10s/month (except Casio models which are lame without radio reception), and a sensible percentage of them are even under 5s/month!

    Generally I find more elegant and same/better finished some of the JDM high-quality models where you also have the advantage of a real HEQ with certain 8N / 8J / 0330 calibers ...
    Last edited by Catalin; July 26th, 2010 at 17:02.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    109

    Re: Question about Cartier quartz movements

    Quote Originally Posted by RPF View Post
    They are inhouse calibres, unfortunately. Ebel uses a couple of them too, under a Ebel calibre designation.

    To my knowledge, the parts/movements are only available from them.

    Accuracy wise, they're normal, meaning +-15s/month, like 99+% of quartz watches.
    So with quartz movements, inhouse is not necessarily a good thing? This has always been a strong selling point to me when purchasing a mechanical watch! From pictures I've seen of Cartier quartz movements, they appear to be very well finished.

    Though I wouldn't expect Cartier to be +/-20s/year, I would have thought they would have a higher accuracy than $100 department store watches. Then again, I'm not really purchasing a watch for accuracy, I travel so often between timezones that I would never see the watch gain or lose more than 20 seconds.

    cheers,
    elapsed

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,107

    Re: Question about Cartier quartz movements

    Quote Originally Posted by elapsed View Post
    ...
    Though I wouldn't expect Cartier to be +/-20s/year, I would have thought they would have a higher accuracy than $100 department store watches. Then again, I'm not really purchasing a watch for accuracy, I travel so often between timezones that I would never see the watch gain or lose more than 20 seconds.
    Many of the really interesting HEQ models have the feature to adjust in steps of 1 hour without stopping the seconds - very handy on DST change and obviously on certain trips!

  8. #7
    RPF
    RPF is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,810

    Re: Question about Cartier quartz movements

    Quote Originally Posted by South Pender View Post
    Although the Cartier quartz movements do not, in general, produce the kind of accuracy that we have tended to associate with HEQ (± 20 sec./year seems to be our unwritten standard), these movements are, from pictures I've seen, beautifully finished--like the watches themselves. I have one Cartier quartz (a must de Cartier from around 1990) that has stayed within about 4 seconds a month for years. Although one can't infer much from a sample of one, the Cartier quartz movements, although not thermocompensated, may, as a group, beat the usual ± 15 sec./month standard because of more careful set-up and calibration, and better quality materials and assembly. Perhaps others have looked into this in more detail.
    I have neglected to quote the spec properly. It's +-15s/month between 15-35 C or a suitable 20C band. There is a temperature band associated with accuracy of any timepiece, quartz or mechanical. This is a concise description of quartz resonance with temperature.

    I do agree the more expensive watches, like Omega and Cartier, appear to be factory calibrated to better than 5s/month. But my statement is anecdotal at best.

    Some Swiss quartz lose time, contrary to Japanese quartz, which I have found to be consistently fast.

    On a side note, that footer ad is huge overkill. Chrono24 must have spent big bucks to have its name plastered all over. Bit of a poor taste eh?

  9. #8
    Member Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: Question about Cartier quartz movements

    Quote Originally Posted by RPF View Post
    ...

    On a side note, that footer ad is huge overkill. Chrono24 must have spent big bucks to have its name plastered all over. Bit of a poor taste eh?
    It is a reciprocal link. They will soon link back to WUS on every page.

    There is a thread in Public discussing the details. I would not assume they will stay around but Ernie makes the decisions.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Mission Viejo, California, United States
    Posts
    136

    Re: Question about Cartier quartz movements

    FYI:

    Cartier shares movements designed and made by sister company Piaget. They are decorated and signed differently, but otherwise are identical. IE: the Cartier cal. 690 is the same as the Piaget 690P. They are very expensive movements, but probably about the same quality as a standard ETA. They are not HAQ, as these buyers probably place more importance on the fine finish and style of these timepieces. If they fail they must be returned to the factory, and usually you are looking at $1,000 USD minimum for a movement swap. These are about the only ultra luxury Swiss brands left making their own quartz movements, likely more to differentiate them from lower priced brands and justify their high prices. Most others just use ETA. I believe Breitling uses a modified ETA, rather than a true in-house movement for their Super Quartz models. Omega and Longines, once in-house, now also use modified ETA Standard TC Quartz calibers for their top models.

  11. #10
    HAQ and AW moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,762

    Re: Question about Cartier quartz movements

    No need to have bumped this thread.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •