Question on Omega X-33

Thread: Question on Omega X-33

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Question on Omega X-33

I have often found this watch interesting but I've heard on various forums that it goes through batteries pretty often. Can any owners comment?

Re: Question on Omega X-33

Quote Originally Posted by brettbarnes1
    I have often found this watch interesting but I've heard on various forums that it goes through batteries pretty often. Can any owners comment?
    I've had no problems.John Wilson

I have often found this watch interesting but I've heard on various forums that it goes through batteries pretty often.
    I have never heard about that...
    Who is General Failure and why is he reading my harddrive?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Can any owners comment?
    Now I can...

I bought my X-33 in January 2004. I wore it almost everyday since then, using most of the features several times a day, alarm in the morning, countdown timers all over the day, backlight whenever I needed it, which was very often. Today I pushed the backlight button but all that happened was the second hand switching to end-of-life indication and thus jumping every 5 second now.

Unfortunately I can't say how long the watch was already running with this battery when I bought it.

BTW: Did anyone change the battery himself yet? I'm planning to do this now (first have to google for the battery type, I only have CR2016 lying around).

Quote Originally Posted by zaphod
    Now I can...

I bought my X-33 in January 2004. I wore it almost everyday since then, using most of the features several times a day, alarm in the morning, countdown timers all over the day, backlight whenever I needed it, which was very often. Today I pushed the backlight button but all that happened was the second hand switching to end-of-life indication and thus jumping every 5 second now.

Unfortunately I can't say how long the watch was already running with this battery when I bought it.

BTW: Did anyone change the battery himself yet? I'm planning to do this now (first have to google for the battery type, I only have CR2016 lying around).
    Screws are small,watch out! They are about $2.33 each.Get all the screws loose,leave them in the backcase,lift out the back with all screws still in.I find a cap that's a smaller diameter,also a little high,and put the back on it. You will also have a second domed back,it sit's (or floats)on a gasket,look along the edge of the batt,you'll see a notch,put in a small screw driver,flip it out.Make sure you have the dome back centered. You will have to redo time,date.John Wilson http://www.swatchbattery.com/

Thank you very much for your help John, will try this tomorrow evening and post about my (hopefully) success.B-)

Quote Originally Posted by zaphod
    Thank you very much for your help John, will try this tomorrow evening and post about my (hopefully) success.B-)
    E-mail me if you need to,but I think you'll be OK. John Wilson.

Only had Omega Uk change the battery after I bought my first generation X-33 off of Ebay. Since then, I have the alarm going off each morning (it's the only one that wakes me up, it's that loud!), have the backlight on often at night and have even used it as a flashlight when needed, and it's still going strong after a year.

The battery is supposed to last 24 months with normal use of alarm and backlight (not sure wat is meant by normal use...maybe once a day for each:-S) or 36 months without the use of the alarm and backlight, according to the manual. Maybe all those reporting the battery becoming drained too quickly bought pre-owned or a new watch that had been at the dealer's for a long time?

Love my X-33 because it's a great watch when you're travelling and the alarm is the loudest I have ever heard on a quartz watch of any kind. Just wish that the WR was greater than 30m.....most pilot's watches are atleast 50m. Guess the lack of water in space meant compromising on the WR.

Zaphod,

According to Omega, the battery is not meant to last longer than 24 months if the alarm and backlight are used regularly (no use of the alarm and backlight means 36 months of battery life). So you actually got more out of the battery than Omega's apparently conservative estimate. You almost got 31 months, given you bought the watch in Jan 2004 and used the alarm, etc far more than most would. So I think the reports of the battery becoming drained too quickly on the model is exaggerated imho.

I'll be interested to see how you get along with replacing the battery yourself and what battery is in the watch. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Stala
    You almost got 31 months, given you bought the watch in Jan 2004 and used the alarm, etc far more than most would. So I think the reports of the battery becoming drained too quickly on the model is exaggerated imho.

Yes, you are right, I thought about it and I'm satisfied with 31 month.
    After all changing the battery (CR2320) was no big deal, I don't mind doing this every 2 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Stala
    I'll be interested to see how you get along with replacing the battery yourself and what battery is in the watch. Good luck!

Next post...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information