SD/HPM wrap up and an HEQ quaestion...

Thread: SD/HPM wrap up and an HEQ quaestion...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned

SD/HPM wrap up and an HEQ quaestion...

Hi all,

I just wanted to thank everyone who weighed in on the two recent threads that dealt with the Swatch HPM movement and the Seiko SD.

While, I'm not satisfied with the nomenclature of calling them 'quartz' watches, I do think I have a better; if not conclusive; understanding of how they actually work. It would be great if Seiko was a little more forthcoming with details but I doubt that will ever happen.

Anyway it was a great discussion, thanks for participating

Now my HEQ question.

Outside of a Thermoline caliber; what should I look for in a really good swiss quartz movement as far as accuracy goes?
    I see a lot of 955 and 956 calibers with jewel counts anywhere from 1 to 17.
    Also the stick up top is an excellent resource for technical; ie mechanical parts and servicing but I didn't come across anything with timing specs for the ETA pieces.

So, what should I be looking for in a really good Swiss caliber quartz?

Re: SD/HPM wrap up and an HEQ quaestion...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-Getty View Post
    Hi all,

I just wanted to thank everyone who weighed in on the two recent threads that dealt with the Swatch HPM movement and the Seiko SD.

While, I'm not satisfied with the nomenclature of calling them 'quartz' watches, I do think I have a better; if not conclusive; understanding of how they actually work. It would be great if Seiko was a little more forthcoming with details but I doubt that will ever happen.

Anyway it was a great discussion, thanks for participating
    Thanks, AG, for a stimulating topic. Also, as I should have said days ago, welcome to the forum.

I hope I didn't come across as cussedly obstinate. (I try to hide that, sometimes not so well. ) Just got caught up in the "search for truth".

I'll pass on your Swiss question, as others here are much more knowledgeable. I will say that, without being thermocompensated, there's probably not a strong differentiation among movements and brands in terms of accuracy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Reding View Post
    Thanks, AG, for a stimulating topic. Also, as I should have said days ago, welcome to the forum.

I hope I didn't come across as cussedly obstinate. (I try to hide that, sometimes not so well. ) Just got caught up in the "search for truth".

I'll pass on your Swiss question, as others here are much more knowledgeable. I will say that, without being thermocompensated, there's probably not a strong differentiation among movements and brands in terms of accuracy.
    I can be like a pit bull on a bone sometimes as well and hope no one took offense to anything I have said.
    There have been other discussions like this one on other forums and I don't remember any of them producing as much real info or actual thought about the subject as has been demonstrated here...most of those were of the 'religious' kind that always end with 'we will have to agree to disagree' and nothing concrete to help resolve the differing opinions.

I look forward to some input on the higher end quartz movements. The only swiss quartz movements I have in my collection are Ronda 715 and a Ronda 735. I imagine these are probably not much different than the ordinary Seiko 7N series in terms of time keeping, accuracy and construction/finish.
    I know that jewel count doesn't necessarily make one quartz movement better than another but my mechanical leanings make me feel better about a 13 to 17 jewel movement if or no other reason than the aesthetics...I open and look at my watch movements often

Thanks for the welcome. This forum has so much more to offer than the usual 'What are you wearing today' sites

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

WUS HEQ Forum kicks arse

Quote Originally Posted by Fatpants View Post
    WUS HEQ Forum kicks arse
    I'm hoping that's a good thing.

Of course

A row comparing the SD and HPM and I missed it - bugger! it was hilarious last time! Oh well, I'll have broadband back soon.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    A row comparing the SD and HPM and I missed it - bugger! it was hilarious last time! Oh well, I'll have broadband back soon.
    Ah, everyone took my word for everything... it's amazing how much respect you get when they hang 'moderator' under your name
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Ah, everyone took my word for everything... it's amazing how much respect you get when they hang 'moderator' under your name
    Oh Dear, so now everyone believes that Asulab should get the Nobel prize and that SD stands for Squirrel Droppings?

Actually, reading the other thread I think that I would have been redundant.
    I only have one question, I think I will pop over there and ask it!

Good job!
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca

I think that we all agree that SD is a quartz-accuracy watch which does not require any form of battery.
    No battery is a really good feature, but the solution is a very expensive technological tour-de-force and still has one big problem, the watch stops if you do not wear it.
    Perhaps this is why Seiko did not include a perpetual calendar.

At the end of 'is spring-drive quartz' M4tt sings the praises of tuning-forks.
    For me the exciting part of a site like this is to be introduced to new ideas and talk about their advantages & how they work.
    Since we got to religion, I suppose that we could spend years arguing whether SD was Quartz or Mechanical, & then have a schism with 2 different sites. Anyone mentioning SD on the Quartz site would be sent to hyperspace perdition.

So can we agree that this section should be open to new ideas, both HIGH END and QUARTZ should be interpreted in the most liberal way possible. As a demonstration of our liberality should we could include tuning-fork watches ?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information