Seiko grand quartz 9943 movement help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ronalddheld
  • 2 Post By chris01
  • 2 Post By Tom-HK
  • 1 Post By hi_bri

Thread: Seiko grand quartz 9943 movement help

Seiko grand quartz 9943 movement help

I have recently bought a seiko 9943 and the seller claims the watch seconds hand vibrates with a battery but doesn't run. No acid leak or water damage.

What would likely be the issue, sticky oils etc?

Does anyone have experience with getting the seiko twin quartz movements going again, any troubleshooting tips?

Also anybody here had a twin quartz serviced in the UK or europe and how much does it roughly cost? Feel free to pm me if you do not want to discuss prices on here.

Thanks!

Here's a pic of it, the dial and case shape won me over. Realistically returning it to =/- 10spy probably won't happen but anything close would be great!

oʞᴉǝS

HAQ and AW moderator

Re: Seiko grand quartz 9943 movement help

Quote Originally Posted by Unsolved_Mistry View Post
    I have recently bought a seiko 9943 and the seller claims the watch seconds hand vibrates with a battery but doesn't run. No acid leak or water damage.

What would likely be the issue, sticky oils etc?

Does anyone have experience with getting the seiko twin quartz movements going again, any troubleshooting tips?

Also anybody here had a twin quartz serviced in the UK or europe and how much does it roughly cost? Feel free to pm me if you do not want to discuss prices on here.

Thanks!

Here's a pic of it, the dial and case shape won me over. Realistically returning it to =/- 10spy probably won't happen but anything close would be great!

Too late to ask why you bought it in that condition?
    Unsolved_Mistry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    Too late to ask why you bought it in that condition?
    Great price and external condition is great, perfect ones are too expensive and even if I struggle to get it sorted now I will definitely get it serviced in the future.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk
    oʞᴉǝS

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

1. Have you tried a known good battery? Sorry if that's too obvious.

2. Can you post a picture of the movement.

If you're lucky it's just a duff battery. Otherwise, the cost of getting this movement working again may leave you wondering why you didn't wait for a better example to come along. Even if it's just 'sticky oils', the movement will need a complete tear-down. These days this is rarely done by technician-grade watch servicers whose primary function seems to be to swap old movements for new. So your watch will be passed up the chain for a more in-depth examination and service. You have now exceeded the cost of the watch before they have even told you whether or not they can fix it.

They probably will be able to fix it, of course. It may be that one of the gears is worn. Then comes the question of whether they can find the right replacement gear (maybe a donor movement?) or whether they could fabricate a gear (how much are you looking to spend?). A competent watch maker can do this or you could go via Seiko.

Seiko may say they can't fix it if they haven't got spare parts in stock, whereas an independent watch maker may be more willing to cobble together a solution from a donor movement. Seiko, on the other hand, are the only ones likely to be able to regulate the watch back down to 10 SPY. And it would probably have to go back to Japan for that.

Seiko have told me, in the past, that they would be willing to work on my Twin Quartz watches (if they were sent back to the factory), but the cost of doing so has always put me off. I am right now in the process of regulating a cal 9923 and it is a pain in the backside for reasons explained at great length elsewhere.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

so badly

Although some of our HAQ owning colleagues will cringe at this suggestion, if it is indeed some "minor" hardened oils, you could put the watch on a line-cleaning device (essentially a demagnetizer) and you might get it running again. You might need to expose the movement if it has a antimagnetic shield on the caseback. This is worthwhile if you just want it running and not running back at factory spec.

-Brian
    Unsolved_Mistry likes this.

Thread Information