SEIKO Majesta 9533-5000 1989
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ppaulusz
  • 1 Post By Tom-HK
  • 1 Post By nycddancer

Thread: SEIKO Majesta 9533-5000 1989

SEIKO Majesta 9533-5000 1989

Just wanted to share a picture of my SEIKO Majesta that I picked up a while back. I believe it is a twin mode quartz.Name:  IMG_2352.JPG
Views: 293
Size:  199.1 KB

Re: SEIKO Majesta 9533-5000 1989

Quote Originally Posted by EricSkiDude View Post
    Just wanted to share a picture of my SEIKO Majesta that I picked up a while back. I believe it is a twin mode quartz.
    It is not twin-quartz: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/sei...ml#post3931245
    Twin mode quartz? I do not know that...
    ronalddheld likes this.

From what I have read, the 9533 movement is not a twin quartz, but it does adjust for temperature. Not sure how this is accomplished. My Majesta is from 1989 and is a JDM watch. It is amazingly accurate for a 20 year old watch, but I have not timed it properly. I would estimate that it is around 2 or 3 seconds per month when checked against my atomic radio adjusted watch.
    Last edited by EricSkiDude; January 30th, 2019 at 02:04.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The OP didn't say it was a Twin Quartz but a Twin Mode Quartz. I see that the movement is quoted as being +/-20 SPY and in the absence of a Twin Quartz symbol (or, indeed, any evidence of a second oscillator in the movement), the options for having achieved HAQ status seem limited to:

1) Twin Mode Quartz (one XO with a special cut to combine both torsional and flexural modes);
    2) High Frequency XO; or
    3) Very Fine Adjustment

I have a very similar-looking Twin Mode Quartz Majesta from the same era in cal. 9063, and whilst I don't know what beats inside the 9533 I see no reason why it couldn't also be a Twin Mode Quartz.
    dicioccio likes this.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-HK View Post
    The OP didn't say it was a Twin Quartz but a Twin Mode Quartz. I see that the movement is quoted as being +/-20 SPY and in the absence of a Twin Quartz symbol (or, indeed, any evidence of a second oscillator in the movement), the options for having achieved HAQ status seem limited to:

1) Twin Mode Quartz (one XO with a special cut to combine both torsional and flexural modes);
    2) High Frequency XO; or
    3) Very Fine Adjustment

I have a very similar-looking Twin Mode Quartz Majesta from the same era in cal. 9063, and whilst I don't know what beats inside the 9533 I see no reason why it couldn't also be a Twin Mode Quartz.
    A gap in my knowledge - what does Very Fine Adjustment refer to? Is it simply a standard quartz watch whose mean rate has been very carefully regulated, but otherwise exhibits all the temperature and positional rate variance of any standard quartz? Or something else?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nycddancer View Post
    A gap in my knowledge - what does Very Fine Adjustment refer to? Is it simply a standard quartz watch whose mean rate has been very carefully regulated, but otherwise exhibits all the temperature and positional rate variance of any standard quartz? Or something else?

Yes, there were some early VFA watches in the pre-thermocomoensation days that were just that - carefully adjusted to give the best possible rate. I cannot think of a vintage VFA that approached HAQ spec, though (except, maybe, the old pre-2001 COSC spec?). Junghans 8 SPY MeisterMega is a modern take on the VFA principle (and, if the 8 SPY claim turns out to be true then they have at last cracked the HAQ barrier without TC or HF).
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-HK View Post
    Yes, there were some early VFA watches in the pre-thermocomoensation days that were just that - carefully adjusted to give the best possible rate. I cannot think of a vintage VFA that approached HAQ spec, though (except, maybe, the old pre-2001 COSC spec?). Junghans 8 SPY MeisterMega is a modern take on the VFA principle (and, if the 8 SPY claim turns out to be true then they have at last cracked the HAQ barrier without TC or HF).
    On the topic of the junghans, I finished the first part of my testing on Monday. After three weeks at 8C +/- 1C, the junghans was running at about 11spy +/- 4spy. Measurement was done using high-speed video using time on a PC screen as a reference synchronized over the internet using NTP. Estimated error includes 100ms sync error and 100ms measurement error.

ronalddheld likes this.

Here’s mine - shame I haven’t got an OEM bracelet - the accuracy is dead on the same as my iPhone ! Has a Titanium Nitrate case Sapphire crystal with Kanji date and what looks to be a paper dial -
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information