Seiko SBDJ010 -- Wow!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Tom-HK

Thread: Seiko SBDJ010 -- Wow!

Seiko SBDJ010 -- Wow!

This watch is accurate!

it's a JDM solar diver, titanium case.

I've had it for only a month, and I realize that's not long enough for a significant review, but since I set it precisely about three weeks ago, it's varied by well under one second.

I've worn it most of this time.

Is is this typical of these watches? Will this level of accuracy hold?

Re: Seiko SBDJ010 -- P.S.

I meant less than a second for the entire time, not per year or whatever.

Re: Seiko SBDJ010 -- Wow!

No, it's not; the movement is a typical 15 SPM quartz. Sometimes you get lucky, tho.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Read some of the stickies. Watches with 'ordinary' quartz movements (even expensive ones) may be very accurate but they are not guaranteed to be so. 15 seconds per month, or 20, or in some cases the guarantee is as loose as 30 seconds per month.

Quartz crystals vary in quality and it stands to reason that a certain number of crystals that passes QC for a 15SPM-rated watch may perform significantly better. Also, you have been wearing the watch regularly and this helps to keep the temperature reasonably stable for much of the day. Besides the quality of the quartz crystal which may determine the outer thresholds of guaranteed accuracy, changes in temperature cause quartz oscillators to speed up or slow down.

On this forum we like to see watches that employ some form of thermocompensation to guarantee accuracy to within seconds per YEAR, but wearing a watch all the time may have a similar effect - instead of compensating for changing temperatures it reduces the degree of temperature change by using your wrist as a constant heat source.
    The 4.19 MHz Collection
    Casio - SP-400, module 75
    Casio - SP-410, module 75
    Casio - SP-400G, module 75
    Citizen - Crystron 4 Mega, cal. 7370
    Citizen - Exceed 4 Mega, cal. 1730 SOLD
    Junghans - Prototype, cal. 667.20
    Junghans - MegaQuarz, cal. 667.26 SOLD
    Omega - Prototype, cal. 1522

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-HK View Post
    On this forum we like to see watches that employ some form of thermocompensation to guarantee accuracy to within seconds per YEAR, but wearing a watch all the time may have a similar effect - instead of compensating for changing temperatures it reduces the degree of temperature change by using your wrist as a constant heat source.
    Well, at least some claim that the movement should be in the seconds per year range. TC is the most common, but it's not per se required. And it's all the movements; single examples of any quartz may perform surprisingly well, but there's no reason to think any other will.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

Is there any measurement or specification that focuses on the quartz accuracy? Something like BPM?

Quote Originally Posted by muhibtv View Post
    Is there any measurement or specification that focuses on the quartz accuracy? Something like BPM?
    For the quartz crystal oscillator itself the closest equivalent to BPM would be Hz (usually kHz, occasionally MHz). This doesn't necessarily tell you anything concrete about accuracy, though. As with mechanical watches, faster is usually more accurate for quartz watches, so you may expect a watch containing a 4.19 MHz quartz crystal oscillator to be considerably more accurate than one containing a 32kHz oscillator. In practical application, however, high frequency quartz oscillators are presently to be found only in Bulova watches (using 262kHz oscillators) whilst the crown for the world's most accurate watch goes to those brands that use thermocompensation technologies alongside 32kHz crystals.

As a complete package (not just looking at the oscillator), the accuracy of quartz watches is usually stated in Seconds Per Month (SPM) or, in the case of HAQ watches, Seconds Per Year (SPY).

5 SPY watches using 32kHz oscillators can be purchased from Citizen and pre-ordered from Longines; whilst Grand Seiko occasionally bring out a 5 SPY Special Edition.
    1 SPY watches using 32kHz oscillators can be purchased from Morgenwerk and Hoptroff.
    Last edited by Tom-HK; July 13th, 2017 at 13:20.
    The 4.19 MHz Collection
    Casio - SP-400, module 75
    Casio - SP-410, module 75
    Casio - SP-400G, module 75
    Citizen - Crystron 4 Mega, cal. 7370
    Citizen - Exceed 4 Mega, cal. 1730 SOLD
    Junghans - Prototype, cal. 667.20
    Junghans - MegaQuarz, cal. 667.26 SOLD
    Omega - Prototype, cal. 1522

Quote Originally Posted by abstruse1 View Post
    This watch is accurate!

it's a JDM solar diver, titanium case.

I've had it for only a month, and I realize that's not long enough for a significant review, but since I set it precisely about three weeks ago, it's varied by well under one second.

I've worn it most of this time.

Is is this typical of these watches? Will this level of accuracy hold?
    No pics?

MY SBGX119 (9F61) is running at 1 second loss for the past 14 weeks, at a less than 4say rate. Hard to tell really but it is closing in on a full second behind. So I calling it a second. More time will tell.
    Last edited by Boomerdw; July 27th, 2017 at 04:18.

Thread Information