Servicing Citizen A660
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Servicing Citizen A660

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Servicing Citizen A660

After a several year search, I was finally able to find and buy one of my grails: the Citizen Campanola CTS57-0701. For those unfamiliar with it, it was manufactured in 2000-2001 and contains the A660 movement.

Due to age and condition, I'd like to have it serviced rather than just getting a battery change. Does anyone have recent experience getting Japanese models like this serviced "through" Citizen's US service department?

I contacted Citizen's global service email and they said I could either
    1. send the watch directly to Japan
    2. contact my local service department to have them send my watch to Japan.

However, when I called Citizen in California, they were bewildered by this request and they stated they don't send watches to Japan. Based on past posts here, this contradicts what they've done for others. When they replied to my email request (forgot I did this before I called them), they advised that I contact Citizen's global email, even though I already did this and included the email in my email...

Any suggestions on my next step? Should I just send my watch to COA and see what they do with it? Or do I need to pony up $100 to send it directly to Japan?

HAQ and AW moderator

Re: Servicing Citizen A660

I bought mine from Huguchi so I sent it to Katsu and he sent it to Citizen. That was many years ago.

Try [email protected] before you go any further. The Head Office in Japan should be able to clarify the situation with your local service centre. I had my local service centre send mine off to Japan for me, but while the local outfit did do some of the liaison work on my behalf I found that due to their lack of HAQ knowledge I ended up doing a lot of the talking to Japan myself.
    ronalddheld likes this.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-HK View Post
    Try [email protected] before you go any further. The Head Office in Japan should be able to clarify the situation with your local service centre. I had my local service centre send mine off to Japan for me, but while the local outfit did do some of the liaison work on my behalf I found that due to their lack of HAQ knowledge I ended up doing a lot of the talking to Japan myself.
    Thanks. That's who I started this conversation off with and who told me I had the 2 options I listed. I did reply back to both their global service email and Citizen's US service department trying to clarify what should be done but I haven't heard back from either.

I'll wait for their response before doing anything.

Knowing the Japanese culture aimed at perfection and pleasing others, I'd either send it directly to Japan, or to one of the Japanese dealers who have no problem working with Americans. My $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarif1fan View Post
    Knowing the Japanese culture aimed at perfection and pleasing others, I'd either send it directly to Japan, or to one of the Japanese dealers who have no problem working with Americans. My $.02.
    Do Higuchi and others work with those who didn't purchase from them? I assume if they do, it's for a fee.

I haven't heard back from Citizen's global service email, but got a response from Citizen US service department. Now they're saying they're the only authorized facility to service Campanola models... I'm going to take them up on that and leave them to send it to Japan when they realize they can't service an A660.

EDIT: Citizen's global service group finally got back to me, and they confirmed their original recommendations. I can send it directly to Japan, but it's both faster and easier to send it through the US service department. I already took the latter route and my watch is in California. Now I'm just waiting to hear back about timing and cost.
    Last edited by Citizen V; August 26th, 2019 at 18:51.

I thought this next update was worth a new post rather than an edit.

I surprisingly received a repair estimate from Citizen's US service center. They quoted me the cost for battery change and water resistance check. For the other repairs I requested (calibration if needed and case refinishing) they said it can't be done at their US center.

Naturally, I called them to clarify the situation. The rep (different than previous one I spoke to) was equally bewildered by the idea that their service center would send a watch to Japan. He stated the following:

1. The A660 is a simple quartz movement. In the case it doesn't run within its specification, they replace it. They don't do servicing on quartz nor adjustments for accuracy. He's also under the assumption all Citizen quartz movements have "jewels" and "the good stuff".
    2. The US service center is capable of "servicing" any watch that Japan is able to. There's no equipment they lack.
    3. The service center has never forward watches on behalf of customers to Japan, since #2, there's no reason to.
    4. They don't have the capability to refinish/refurbish watches. They can only clean them.

Despite telling him my information came from their global CS HQ, he says its untrue. He's going to follow up with them, but I don't have high hopes...

I can either take the services they offered, which are relatively expensive to what I could have done locally, or ask for the watch back and eat the cost of the initial shipping.
    Last edited by Citizen V; August 30th, 2019 at 03:35.

It sounds as though there is a lot of confusion with your local service centre. I would get back in touch with Citizen Japan and work out how to send it to them directly.
    ronalddheld likes this.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-HK View Post
    It sounds as though there is a lot of confusion with your local service centre. I would get back in touch with Citizen Japan and work out how to send it to them directly.
    Yeah, all interactions with their US CS have been a mess. The first time I asked them about my watch, I provided the model and caseback number and they said they couldn't service it because it was a non-US model based. The second time, I called it a Campanola, and they changed their answer: "No one is authorized to service a Campanola other than our Torrance facility."

Citizen's global service email did provide me with instructions. For everyone's knowledge: they actually recommend sending watches to their CS department in their HQ in Japan rather than directly to their service center. Apparently, their HQ is better equipped to handle foreign customers.

My current concern is the money I already spent on shipping it to CA. I opted for overnight and insured, which was not cheap. I'm hoping the Torrance facility will come to a consensus with "Citizen's customer service headquarters" and just send my watch to Japan.
    Last edited by Citizen V; August 27th, 2019 at 23:31.
    parv likes this.

I have an exciting update.

Citizen has sorted this out internally. The US service department has rarely received a request like this, so they didn't remember this was a service they provided or have a set process in place for it. They confirmed that both this watch can only be fully serviced in Japan, and that they will send the watch to Japan.

For anyone curious, I was quoted a repair estimate of $360 for "full service" from Citizen's global service email, which includes shipping back to me. The final cost ended up being a little less. It's more expensive than I expected but I figured it's worth it for the peace of mind. It also allows me to start out fresh with this pre-owned watch and hopefully only have to worry about battery changes for the next decade or two.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information