Solar powered HAQ watches?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Solar powered HAQ watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Solar powered HAQ watches?

Hey guys,

Went down a rabbit hole for watches and am slowly narrowing down the type of watch I would want. From automatic -> quartz -> HAQ. What are some of the cheaper options for solar HAQ watches? Anything under $500?

Thanks

Re: Solar powered HAQ watches?

You might find something from Citizen with a cal. E510 on the Bay for around $500. One of the best movements Citizen ever produced.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

Only Citizen does HAQ solar. And yeah, the Exceeds are likely the only ones. They're not E510s now; they're G530's. Not sure the E510's are in any current production stuff.

Citizen Exceed AR-400x models.

?????_?????? ?CITIZEN-????????

You want the Pair models; they make matching gent's and lady's models on this one. Scroll down about halfway.

eBay, Amazon maybe. Also Japanese sellers like ShoppingInJapan.net; I've used them with no problem. Seiya is worth checking but I don't think he had any. These are JDM pieces, unfortunately.

Otherwise, there's nothing at your price point. The other option would be solar RF. Almost all the major makers' RF watches are also solar. Junghans (might be a bit over your budget), Casio, Seiko, and Citizen are all possible. Casio and Seiko tend to hold a big chunk of their RF models back, and market them only at home. One thing to ensure: that it'll receive the signal where you are. Seiko and Citizen have quite a few that only receive the Japan signal.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I had forgotten about the G530. Such a shame they retired the E510. Never have been able to work out why they would lower the spec of the replacement movement, but I suppose they had their reasons.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

If solar RF is acceptable, Citizen has quite a few models to choose from, in the US they're sold as "Atomic Timekeeping" watches.

I have one, it receives the WWVB signal in central North Carolina without a fuss, the vast majority of nights it's signal strength is "High" (using the watch's self-check function). It's this model:

https://us.citizenwatch.com/us/en/me...T4008-51E.html

It can be hand for under $500 easily (if you search and are also patient, quite a bit less than $500). The entire line is sold globally. The particular model I have has been made for quite a few years now and seems to be one of the more popular models since I've seen it in many stores. I got mine at a national chain department store.

I've had mine for 3 (4?) years now and it's been an excellent time piece, it's my "don't ever have to set it and forget it" watch; always correct time, always shows the right date, hands all hit the markers pretty much spot on and I never have to bother with DST changeovers. I love that last feature in particular.

Thanks for all the responses.

I can't find any E510's in my area. I did some searching and found that they're hard to service since they aren't in production. Not sure how true that is.

Can't do RF since I'm in Australia, otherwise I would have went down that route.

I'll have a look at the G530. Is there an easy way to search Citizen watches by their movement?

You might be able to search the Citizen web page, but IIRC, they don't offer movement as an option. Use the link in my earlier post. I *believe* all the models using the G530 are in the Exceed lineup...AR-400x model numbers as I also noted above.

No Aussie time signal...well that kills that. GPS would be another way to go, but I don't think any of those are in budget.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Quote Originally Posted by Splashy View Post
    Thanks for all the responses.

I can't find any E510's in my area. I did some searching and found that they're hard to service since they aren't in production. Not sure how true that is.

Can't do RF since I'm in Australia, otherwise I would have went down that route.

I'll have a look at the G530. Is there an easy way to search Citizen watches by their movement?
    If you have an iphone there is an app to set RC watches, think it's called clock wave. Not sure if they have one for android. So an RC watch is doable in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    You might be able to search the Citizen web page, but IIRC, they don't offer movement as an option. Use the link in my earlier post. I *believe* all the models using the G530 are in the Exceed lineup...AR-400x model numbers as I also noted above.

No Aussie time signal...well that kills that. GPS would be another way to go, but I don't think any of those are in budget.
    AR4001-01L looked pretty nice. Shame there's no calendar on it but it's not a terrible loss. I could possibly find it for $500 if I waited long enough for an eBay sale.

How big of a deal is it to only have 1 year international warranty? How often do you guys service your watch and how much does it cost to get it repaired in Japan as opposed to locally?
    Quote Originally Posted by wbird View Post
    If you have an iphone there is an app to set RC watches, think it's called clock wave. Not sure if they have one for android. So an RC watch is doable in Australia.
    Yeah I read about it. From what I read it takes about 15 min for it to work and I doubt I'd be bothered to do it regularly. May as well just sync it manually myself.

HAQ and AW moderator

Allocate more funds and go with GPS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information