Some Quartz Advice Please
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Some Quartz Advice Please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Some Quartz Advice Please

I’ve convinced my wife to let me get her a nice watch. However, she hates the hassle of automatics. I am between the Grand Seiko SBGV205G and the Omega Aqua Terra Quartz. As far as I can tell the GS has a superior movement, but I just wanted some general feedback from anybody with experience with these watches. Thanks in advance. Pics from the net.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Some Quartz Advice Please

The GS has a high accuracy movement, it will keep within 20 seconds per year or better. Whereas the AT will be 15 seconds per month or better.

Quality wise, the GS is streets ahead.
    Omega really cheaper out on that model of quartz AT.
    It lacks the applied indices and logo of its automatic sisters.

The GS has no lume, so if that's a deal breaker go for the AT.
    Otherwise, Grand Seiko all day long.
    BillSWPA and Miguel like this.

The GS ought to do a lot better than 20 seconds per year. They are spec'd to 10 seconds per year (except for the 5 SPY limited editions) and the two that I have owned have always performed much better than this.

The GS also includes a very simple rate trimmer, so if your watch ever drifts past 10 SPY (or if you want to get a bit closer to the mythical 0 SPY) then you can make the appropriate adjustment yourself.

That being said, Grand Seikos cal. 9F is not a particularly advanced movement. Citizen's AQ4030-51A is solar powered, 5 seconds per year, has a perpetual calendar, independently adjustable hour hand and the date changes at midnight. It also has lume. It does not have a rate trimmer and there is evidence to suggest that you might have a hard time getting it properly regulated if it drifts off-spec, but in most respects it is a better movement than either the GS or Omega.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have the quartz AT. Bought it around March of 2017 and the only adjustments I’ve had to make were when DST came and went. It was less than two seconds off each time and isn’t an HAQ movement. I may have gotten lucky and the dial and movement are a downgrade from the previous model, but comparisons aside I have no complaints, and I’m one of us WIS types. I’d let her pick the style she prefers and not worry about the performance.

HAQ and AW moderator

Joe, if you do not want an HAQ watch,I can move this thread to the PF for more responses.

I appreciate the advice guys. I’ll check out that Citizen movement, and ultimately let the boss decide.

My humble opinion is that the GS is the better watch with higher end technique, I also like the appearance more, especially with the applied indexes. Anyway, it is your call :).
    Burnt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by watchhimgo View Post
    My humble opinion is that the GS is the better watch with higher end technique, I also like the appearance more, especially with the applied indexes. Anyway, it is your call :).
    I agree the GS is the way to go if an HAQ movement is a requirement, but I think the idea here is to find something the wife enjoys for esthetic reasons. Unless she’s a WIS like many of us I doubt she’ll notice a few seconds or minutes a year. If she IS like us, I need her to talk some sense into my wife as that particular Grand Seiko is a very good argument for me spending more on yet another watch!

Just a thought but I reckon a non-WIS would be more likely to find attributes such as long life battery or solar power and perpetual calendar more convenient than ultra accuracy. In any case, with The Citizen, you can have it all.

OP just wondering if you want your wife to pick your next watch? I mean you already mansplained to her she needs a nice watch, now you are going to take the next step and tell her why she should like the watch you choose. Pretty gutsy move.

Just saying I like to pick my watches and my wife can figure out her jewelry and watches. Take her to a nice AD that carries a bunch of nice watches, I doubt if she cares if it is HAQ. Cartier, B&M, Longines, Breitling, and others have quite a few quartz offerings and are extremely popular with women and count as nice watches to most.

As to which one is better between that Omega an GS, that depends on which one she likes. Their both nice watches, you can't really rate luxury goods based on just performance specs.
    X2-Elijah and GlennO like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information