Swiss quartz vs Seiko. Question more about Omega quartz.
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Swiss quartz vs Seiko. Question more about Omega quartz.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Swiss quartz vs Seiko. Question more about Omega quartz.

So anyway seiko grows their own quartz and they use it in the most accurate watch in the world (that isn't digital) so I figure that they're the best, yet swiss quartz demands an obscene price for my opinion but I don't know if I'm right in my logic.

Quartz is very cheap so what you're basically paying for is a $35 AT MOST movement with all the best trappings and casing that automatics would have, yet you're still paying 2k or more. I'm looking for a 300m seamaster and the quartz has a price just as high as the auto on the grey market and I would figure it would at least be half because you're paying for a very cheap movement in an expensive face and case. Why are swiss quartz so expensive despite them not being as good as japanese yet you take the best part out of the swiss watch and it's near the same price.

I mean...it's hard to put this in to words. I guess I should say are swiss quartz really that much better than seiko as to ask these prices?!

Re: Swiss quartz vs Seiko. Question more about Omega quartz.

There is no such a thing as "best quartz".
    There is no such a thing as "most accurate watch".
    About Omega (or just Swiss) pricing: The main factor of pricing is demand (from the buyers)! According to your logic Seiko is the best but you are still after the Omega 300m Seamaster... Now that is demand and that keeps the Omega price pretty high up.

If I were considering purchasing a 'high end' or 'luxury' quartz watch, (as you mentioned Omega) I'd only be looking at Grand Seiko or Citizen Chronomaster range.
    In my eye's, there are no better quartz watches. By the way, the movements used in GS and Citizen are not $35 movements, not in a million years!
    One I purchased recently!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060. Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT. Omega Aqua Terra 8500. Omega Planet Ocean 8800. Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF. Casio MRG-7600-1AJF. Casio MRG-7700-1AJF. Casio GMW-B5000-1ER. Casio GMW-B5000TB-1ER. Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

They all good if we talking about high accuracy quartz. ETA had great non HAQ modules with high jewel count but they uncommon. These will be better than regular Seiko but we talking about 2000-3000$ worth of the watch.
    Seiko has their movement sealed so no service, no dirt... ultimate accuracy over the years.
    Point here there is far more than just mere quartz crystal determining accuracy and quality of the watch.
    It should be special!

Second the vote for a Grand Seiko quartz. Great watch that is hand made and yes does probably cost more than $35. Nothing wrong with the Swiss just bang for the buck is with GS by a landslide. Good hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get the feeling Omega are backing away from quartz altogether. As far as the Swiss, Longines (with ETA), however, are embracing HAQ. The Conquest VHP movement is outstanding and the watch is a bargain. I'd get one myself but for a sporty watch like that, it should have a way better water resistance rating imo. Japan-wise, Citizen are really pushing the boundaries of human timekeeping with their 0100 movement. If it performs near spec, it's a game changer. Practically an on-wrist, self-contained atomic clock (as opposed to radio sync). Grand Seiko also seem firmly committed to HAQ. Personally I'm finished with automatic movements and their never ending fuss and fragility.

I believe Citizen can claim making "the most accurate watch in the world". The cost of manufacturing a movement is a small part of the retail price for all watches. There are many other charges that push the retail price way beyond the cost to manufacture a complete watch. If you are looking for a highly accurate quartz watch then consider products from Seiko, Citizen and Longines. And there are others. If haq isn't of interest then find a quartz watch that you enjoy the look and fit of. You really should not spend much time guessing at the markup because all watches are sold at significant margins over cost.
    ronalddheld, Rocket1991 and pdsf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    I believe Citizen can claim making "the most accurate watch in the world"...
    Which one is that? Any manufacturer can claim and most of them do claim but one thing is claiming or promising and one is delivering.
    Last edited by ppaulusz; December 17th, 2018 at 23:55.

Any manufacturer can claim and most of them do claim but one thing is claiming or promising and one is delivering.
    That is for sure. A number of years ago I bought a Precisionist based on their claim of +- 10spy. Mine never came close to that claim. (Actual performance was closer to 60spy) I also had three Seiko's with 8F33 movements, with accuracy claim of +- 20spy. When worn to the recommended pattern, those came very close to spec. and all three performed significantly better that the Precisionist. My sample sizes are so small that nothing can be said about statistical significance of my results, other than I believe most manufactures overstate the accuracy of their products. I believe there are too many environmental unknowns for them; such as the user living in the tropics or the arctic, mechanical shocks or vibrations, users inadvertently subjecting watches to magnetic fields, etc.
    10-4 on the claim is one thing while delivering is quite another...
    tomchicago likes this.

Very interesting. Not the first I've heard of this either. Would be interested to hear from owners of latest movement Citizen HAQs. I've heard good feedback on those so far.

Quote Originally Posted by DayDatenut View Post
    That is for sure. A number of years ago I bought a Precisionist based on their claim of +- 10spy. Mine never came close to that claim. (Actual performance was closer to 60spy) I also had three Seiko's with 8F33 movements, with accuracy claim of +- 20spy. When worn to the recommended pattern, those came very close to spec. and all three performed significantly better that the Precisionist. My sample sizes are so small that nothing can be said about statistical significance of my results, other than I believe most manufactures overstate the accuracy of their products. I believe there are too many environmental unknowns for them; such as the user living in the tropics or the arctic, mechanical shocks or vibrations, users inadvertently subjecting watches to magnetic fields, etc.
    10-4 on the claim is one thing while delivering is quite another...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information