TAG Heuer Calibre S

Thread: TAG Heuer Calibre S

TAG Heuer Calibre S

The TAG Heuer web site ( www.tagheuer.com ) has updated some information on the long awaited Calibre S. Even if it is not thermocompensated, it will likely be of considerable interest to many HEQ enthusiasts with its unique and very logical chronograph display that is "thinking outside the box" from traditional analog chronograph displays. It will be available on the Aquaracer Calibre S Regatta and the Link Calibre S.

I am intrigued by the TAG Heuer statement on the Calibre S:
    " To pass the stringent quality test, each Calibre S has undergone 12,000 hours of testing without losing 1 second."

Re: TAG Heuer Calibre S

Quote Originally Posted by TCXO View Post
    ...I am intrigued by the TAG Heuer statement on the Calibre S:
    " To pass the stringent quality test, each Calibre S has undergone 12,000 hours of testing without losing 1 second."
    They claim 500 days without loosing 1 second... hmm... nice... Will they claim 500 days without gaining 1 second as well? If they do then I'll buy one!
    I must admit that marketing departments do keep me amused most of the time...

HAQ and AW moderator

Sounds more like marketing and not a real indication of accuracy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, it's a good way of indicating elapsed time very legibly. The disadvantage is that, while timing, you'd have to switch back to time mode to see the time (if that made sense). Other co-axial chronos (Sinn and Mido come to mind) get around this by having a separate, visually distinct minutes hand just for timing minutes. This way, you don't have to flip between modes to see the time or to see progress on the event timing. The downside of course is that you can only time things that are one hour in duration or less.

This is a nice looking implementation of this idea, but it's not new. My boss has an old Seiko that does exactly this. As to the accuracy, I agree that it sounds like marketing hyperbole.

Not having heard, or read, about the Calibre S before, I just read the Tag Heuer blurb about it and agree that the 12,000 hour (500 day) bit is hyperbole...... and rather naughty at that.

But the thing that struck me was that if, in the heat of an adventurous moment, you look at your watch to check the time or the elapsed time, you can't just take a quick glance, in order to be sure which you're looking at, you have to check the position of the semi-circular dial at the 7 position. I think that would be a serious disadvantage in some circumstances. I can imagine more intuitive mode indicators, though they would probably mar the symmetry.

didn't they mean "without loosing a second OF ACCURACY ??" that would be the same as, without gaining or loosing.

It would be too dirty to market, without loosing a second, if the watch would then gain a few secs...
    TAG Heuer :
    2000 Classic auto -steel
    S/EL Leather auto -steel/gold
    Formula 1 -1st edition -green
    Kirium F1
    Pure Link bracelet -steel
    Formula 1 ring -steel/black ceramic/dimond

Heuer :
    Carrera -1st re-issue -solid gold
    Monaco -1st re-issue
    trackmaster 1975

I have had no problems with my Tag Link Calibre S. It never switches modes unintentionally and accuracy is excellent. I wore it for a solid week on vacation, never took it off once, for sightseeing, going out, beach (sand), swimming, diving, hiking, running, biking (rides last > 1 hour), sleeping. Nice big modern face and VERY easy to read while working out. It was good enough to replace my dress, digital & dive watches, which was my goal with this experiment. I did replace the band to lighten it up and now I get lots of looks & compliments because it is so unique.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That may well be the case, it might be a nice looking watch, you get comments about it etc., but this watch isn't HEQ. Contrary to the cost of the watch and the marketing that is bundled with it, it fails on a number of levels, imo, to be considered as such. Mores the point, Seiko did this concept first back in the early 90's with this one...

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...02#msg_3963925
    Last edited by Fatpants; October 5th, 2008 at 14:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatpants View Post
    That may well be the case, it might be a nice looking watch, you get comments about it etc., but this watch isn't HEQ. Contrary to the cost of the watch and the marketing that is bundled with it, it fails on a number of levels, imo, to be considered as such. Mores the point, Seiko did this concept first back in the early 90's with this one...

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...02#msg_3963925

I will respectfully refer to this forums definition of HEQ and I am sorry that you do not agree with it:

"Any quartz watch which, by price point and marketing, places it equal to other generally recognized "luxury" watches from the same manufacturer."

The Tag Heuer Link Calibre S, by price point and marketing, is equal to the Tag Heuer Link Automatic Chronograph. More to the point, I am personally interested in who did it better, not who did it first. And wanting better is why we all are not wearing pocket watches strapped to our arms in leather cups. But I thank you for providing this info. I requested info on this type of watch when I first joined this forum. I actually plan on obtaining one of these watches now, perhaps from my German contact. I'll be sure to post pictures. Thanks.

Be a moderator in both the TAG and HEQ forums, I don't care where you post it... but maybe it should be here. I don't think folks realize TAG has taken to getting serious about its own set to calibres... Eta will still sell them movements but TAG is decreasing dependence on Swatch and is putting money into more than cases, bracelets, and marketing. It is worth following.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information