UniformWares watches with PreciDrives, and ETA's making changes

Thread: UniformWares watches with PreciDrives, and ETA's making changes

UniformWares watches with PreciDrives, and ETA's making changes

Noted over at Watchville. They're posted over on UniformWares.com. 37 and 40mm sizes, no dates showing but that's just as well, cuz they're using a SMALL movement. F03.401. 17.2mm. With ETA F-series, the number before the dot relates to size. ETA web site does show this as a PreciDrive movement, so supposed to be good to QCOSC, 25 SPY.

Also, it turns out that ETA is phasing out ALL the existing basic Precidrive movements. They came out with what they call Heavydrive, which is a feature relating to handling hand weights and shocks and whatnot. There's a blurb from ETA online. But all the .401 (3 hand, no date) and 411 (3 hand, date) movements are being replaced with 402/412s with the Heavydrive.

In addition, there's a 42mm chronograph with a 251.474 variant. They don't note the variant but do claim 10 SPY.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Re: UniformWares watches with PreciDrives, and ETA's making changes

A nice set of watches for folks with smaller wrists. The lug less design means they will wear even smaller. Noticed they quoted 10 spy for every model, not sure about them meeting that spec, but for me it is kind of irrelevant.

The watch is too small and won't fit me, the max size wrist it will fit is 7 1/4." In addition the smaller movemnt, particularly on the chronograpgh, moves the date window towards the center of the dial, to me it just looks wrong.

Just guessing here but these smaller movements are probably cheaper and designed for woman's watches, and would look better in smaller case sizes.

HAQ and AW moderator

I will not be complaining about smaller lighter watches with specs ~10 s/y.
    Anyone going to purchase one and take data on it?
    Last edited by ronalddheld; October 19th, 2018 at 00:06.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    Noted over at Watchville. They're posted over on UniformWares.com. 37 and 40mm sizes, no dates showing but that's just as well, cuz they're using a SMALL movement. F03.401. 17.2mm. With ETA F-series, the number before the dot relates to size. ETA web site does show this as a PreciDrive movement, so supposed to be good to QCOSC, 25 SPY.

Also, it turns out that ETA is phasing out ALL the existing basic Precidrive movements. They came out with what they call Heavydrive, which is a feature relating to handling hand weights and shocks and whatnot. There's a blurb from ETA online. But all the .401 (3 hand, no date) and 411 (3 hand, date) movements are being replaced with 402/412s with the Heavydrive.

In addition, there's a 42mm chronograph with a 251.474 variant. They don't note the variant but do claim 10 SPY.
    All the 3-hand movements are without an independently-adjustable hour hand, so for me they're useless as HAQs.

The chrono, however does have IAHH and I could be interested in this one. The three sub-dials look a bit weird, being tightly jammed together. Price is a bit steep at £800, which makes the Certina DS-2 continue to look like excellent value.

Still no perpetual calendar for the PreciDrives. And, of course, no end-user regulation.

Well if the movement is the thing, and small and light are important, than the Longines Conquest at 36mm uses the 251.474 za varient. Subdial and date look more appropriate. Costs a little less too. Pretty confident that the Certina DS Action (the non-diver) version in titanium will be lighter and just a little bigger but not much.

Not sure how well the 251.474 will perform, but based on the performance of all those F series watches here over the last couple of years, the odds of these watches hitting 10 spy are pretty slim.

But like any watch; size, looks and performance are important. They definately are a different style, and an option for folks with smaller wrists.

Strangely enough, over on the Public Forum a recent thread "I'll fix that for you" is about watches where it is obvious that based on the subdials and or date the movement is too small for the case. These will fit in over there nicely.

ETA's press release:

https://www.eta.ch/sites/default/fil...avyDrive_e.pdf

What is the target market for these movements, analog G-Shocks?

Quote Originally Posted by tmathes View Post
    ETA's press release:

https://www.eta.ch/sites/default/fil...avyDrive_e.pdf

What is the target market for these movements, analog G-Shocks?
    Based on my experience - It means that they are addressing problems with hands going out of sync...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rather suspect they are available fairly cheap...between the small size and the fact they're being phased out.

Good point that they'll wear smaller, being lugless.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

UniformWares.com - sorry, they look cheap :(

Thread Information