Vintage AP Royal Oak 6005ST Quartz Quandary
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ronalddheld
  • 1 Post By Tom-HK
  • 4 Post By tomchicago

Thread: Vintage AP Royal Oak 6005ST Quartz Quandary

The watch in question today is an oddity pronounced "AUD"+OH+TEE... get it? 😂

Jokes aside the watch is a vintage first generation Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Quartz reference 6005ST produced 1977-1980.

A few years ago my mother had given me a gold Waltham pocket watch that she had picked up in the early 80's for next to nothing. Wanting to turn it into something that I could wear but still equate it as a gift from her, I found an international dealer that often dealt in trades. I wanted a straight up trade so all of the pocket watch's value could be fully transferred into a wearable watch that I would have no financial input into... In a way making sure all the sentimental and financial value was still a gift from my mother. Secondly my mother had to like the watch as well as it was still to be considered a present from her. She knew I had always wanted a RO(but would never be able to justify the cost) and she knew I liked oddball vintage pieces. At the time I was also complaining about wanting a watch with untraditional case shape. Out of the dealer's stock came this beautiful piece.

Many have hated on this watch because its not the traditional mechanical octagonal RO and I certainly did have my initial doubts as well. Furthermore it seemed slightly smaller than I was comfortable with (7.5" wrist)

The hesitation INSTANTLY went away the first time I put it on. This watch is EASILY the most comfortable watch in my collection. The way the Genta designed bracelet just flows is something that can't be described. It's so thin and light its like wearing a whisp of wind although strangely you never forget its on your wrist. The tapisserie dial is so understated and elegant. The way the light catches the watch at every angle is perfection. It wears larger than expected even on a bigger wrist like mine.

The movement requires high energy (12 month life expectancy) but delivers high accuracy. AP calls it caliber 2511 but from my research its essentially an Omega caliber 1370. Pressure on the center of the crown electronically moves the minute hand forward. Pulling the stem and rotating jumps the hour hand and synchronizes the position based on the minute hand. Its very cool operation. Audibly it only ticks every 4 seconds or so.

As far as completed work on the watch I've had it polished professionally by a watchmaker certified in Royal Oaks and had a broken case back screw drilled out and replaced. The watch keeps fantastic time other than for one small quirk: Every 3 months (give or take) I'll go into the watch box and find the watch time to be off by hours and needing the time to be set. Each time the watch is always still ticking. Once reset it keeps perfect time for months until I discover it had acted up at some point in the box.

Today I realized again the watch showed the incorrect time so I removed it from the case and it appears the battery is dead. This battery gave me a couple years of life so definitely no complaints there.

As long as I need to replace the battery I think I would like to have it serviced. I contacted AP and they had this to say:

"We regret to inform you that we no longer have the necessary components to repair or replace the vintage Quartz movement (caliber 2511) in our Royal Oak models 6005ST.

However, we invite you to send your timepiece to our Service Center in Clearwater, Florida for a thorough evaluation of the movement. This will help us determinate if your watch will be fully functional after the battery is replaced. This battery replacement will be complimentary."

Obviously I know the watch isn't "fully functional" but do you guys think they would be able to pinpoint the problem at least once they replace the battery?

Lastly if they can't service the movement is there any recommendations for a watchmaker that is qualified and experienced on this movement?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by flabbychucs; 3 Days Ago at 01:20.

HAQ and AW moderator

Re: Vintage AP Royal Oak 6005ST Quartz Quandary

Have you thought about crossposting to the vintage forum? Alternatively, I can move this post there or to PF, if you think you might get more responses.
    gaijin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flabbychucs View Post
    The watch in question today is an oddity pronounced "AUD"+OH+TEE... get it?

Jokes aside the watch is a vintage first generation Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Quartz reference 6005ST produced 1977-1980.

A few years ago my mother had given me a gold Waltham pocket watch that she had picked up in the early 80's for next to nothing. Wanting to turn it into something that I could wear but still equate it as a gift from her, I found an international dealer that often dealt in trades. I wanted a straight up trade so all of the pocket watch's value could be fully transferred into a wearable watch that I would have no financial input into... In a way making sure all the sentimental and financial value was still a gift from my mother. Secondly my mother had to like the watch as well as it was still to be considered a present from her. She knew I had always wanted a RO(but would never be able to justify the cost) and she knew I liked oddball vintage pieces. At the time I was also complaining about wanting a watch with untraditional case shape. Out of the dealer's stock came this beautiful piece.

Many have hated on this watch because its not the traditional mechanical octagonal RO and I certainly did have my initial doubts as well. Furthermore it seemed slightly smaller than I was comfortable with (7.5" wrist)

The hesitation INSTANTLY went away the first time I put it on. This watch is EASILY the most comfortable watch in my collection. The way the Genta designed bracelet just flows is something that can't be described. It's so thin and light its like wearing a whisp of wind although strangely you never forget its on your wrist. The tapisserie dial is so understated and elegant. The way the light catches the watch at every angle is perfection. It wears larger than expected even on a bigger wrist like mine.

The movement requires high energy (12 month life expectancy) but delivers high accuracy. AP calls it caliber 2511 but from my research its essentially an Omega caliber 1370. Pressure on the center of the crown electronically moves the minute hand forward. Pulling the stem and rotating jumps the hour hand and synchronizes the position based on the minute hand. Its very cool operation. Audibly it only ticks every 4 seconds or so.

As far as completed work on the watch I've had it polished professionally by a watchmaker certified in Royal Oaks and had a broken case back screw drilled out and replaced. The watch keeps fantastic time other than for one small quirk: Every 3 months (give or take) I'll go into the watch box and find the watch time to be off by hours and needing the time to be set. Each time the watch is always still ticking. Once reset it keeps perfect time for months until I discoverer it had acted up at some point in the box.

Today I realized again the watch showed the incorrect time so I removed it from the case and it appears the battery is dead. This battery gave me a couple years of life so definitely no complaints there.

As long as I need to replace the battery I think I would like to have it serviced. I contacted AP and they had this to say:

"We regret to inform you that we no longer have the necessary components to repair or replace the vintage Quartz movement (caliber 2511) in our Royal Oak models 6005ST.

However, we invite you to send your timepiece to our Service Center in Clearwater, Florida for a thorough evaluation of the movement. This will help us determinate if your watch will be fully functional after the battery is replaced. This battery replacement will be complimentary."

Obviously I know the watch isn't "fully functional" but do you guys think they would be able to pinpoint the problem at least once they replace the battery?

Lastly if they can't service the movement is there any recommendations for a watchmaker that is qualified and experienced on this movement?
    Nice story. Nice watch. Unfortunately, not HAQ. (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/fir...ml#post4455849)
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

AP did make a HAQ with a 2.4 MHz Omega movement in the '70s, but this isn't it.

That being said, someone like Simon Freese, who used to be the chief watch fixer at Swiss Time Services (and who has worked on my vintage Omega HAQ) would probably be able to breathe fresh life into your watch. He has gone independent, now, so his prices have probably gone up, but he definitely knows Omega movements and definitely knows how to sympathetically restore old quartz watches. The time he took with my watch; the tests he ran; the solutions he came up with - definitely worth the price if your watch is special.

I have also been fortunate enough on these forums to come across a chap who is mad about early quartz and who works in the servicing department of a high end brand. He was able to completely restore a vintage Citizen HAQ for me, including amazing microscope photos of the process and original parts sourced from Citizen in Japan as well as from his wide collection of vintage watches where replacement parts are no longer available. Sadly, this fella is not looking to be flooded with extra work as he already has a full-time watch servicing job through the brand that he works for and I agreed not to share his name.

BUT... the point is, there is a great wealth of knowledge on these boards. Sometimes you wouldn't know it, for all the nonsense you have to wade through, but stick with it and if you're passionate about this watch then someone out there is bound to share your passion and will be able to help you.
    ronalddheld likes this.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    Have you thought about crossposting to the vintage forum? Alternatively, I can move this post there or to PF, if you think you might get more responses.
    I thought about which forum would gather the most knowledge on this movement but my thinking was vintage is going to be more mechanical prowess?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-HK View Post
    AP did make a HAQ with a 2.4 MHz Omega movement in the '70s, but this isn't it.

That being said, someone like Simon Freese, who used to be the chief watch fixer at Swiss Time Services (and who has worked on my vintage Omega HAQ) would probably be able to breathe fresh life into your watch. He has gone independent, now, so his prices have probably gone up, but he definitely knows Omega movements and definitely knows how to sympathetically restore old quartz watches. The time he took with my watch; the tests he ran; the solutions he came up with - definitely worth the price if your watch is special.

I have also been fortunate enough on these forums to come across a chap who is mad about early quartz and who works in the servicing department of a high end brand. He was able to completely restore a vintage Citizen HAQ for me, including amazing microscope photos of the process and original parts sourced from Citizen in Japan as well as from his wide collection of vintage watches where replacement parts are no longer available. Sadly, this fella is not looking to be flooded with extra work as he already has a full-time watch servicing job through the brand that he works for and I agreed not to share his name.

BUT... the point is, there is a great wealth of knowledge on these boards. Sometimes you wouldn't know it, for all the nonsense you have to wade through, but stick with it and if you're passionate about this watch then someone out there is bound to share your passion and will be able to help you.
    Thanks Tom. I agree the right person for the job is out there... Just have to find them. I know a few accomplished watch makers but all of them haven't dealt with my mechanicals and I know this is a different beast.

Im thinking about taking AP up on their offer for the complimentary battery change. Worse case scenario I get a free battery and best case maybe they can identify or filter the cause of the problem.

Yeah definitely not a HAQ, just a regular quartz. This just needs a routine quartz service and will probably run just fine. Nothing fancy at all about AP quartz compared even to a $15 modern movement. Crystal, circuit, coil, rotor, gear train...done. Any competent quartz watchmaker should be able to fix it. Sounds like dried former era lubricants. If it were mine, I would just use this stuff: https://www.esslinger.com/quartz-qui...cleaner-spray/ , then relubricate with Moebius 9000 quartz oil, and she's probably good for the next 50 years. I never disassemble the gear train fwiw and with that spray they say u don't have to. I can never get the rotor back in! I've restored like 15 watches with this method and they all run beautifully. Good luck.

Thread Information