What does the hivemind think of Credor HAQ?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What does the hivemind think of Credor HAQ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What does the hivemind think of Credor HAQ?

Looking at the Signo line (GCAZ). 35mm, 100m WR, super thin. Haven't heard a lot about Credor HAQs (or Credor period).

Name:  0589d186a5537326298002c02d406ada-1024x683.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  145.3 KB

Re: What does the hivemind think of Credor HAQ?

I am sure the watches are superbly finished, but from a HAQ point of view the old 8J movement is even less advanced than the 25-year-old 9F (and that's saying something!). No independently adjustable hour hand and, unlike the 9F, the 8J does not have a rate trimmer.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-HK View Post
    ...from a HAQ point of view the old 8J movement is even less advanced than the 25-year-old 9F (and that's saying something!)...
    From a HAQ point of view the 25-year-old 9F is not really bettered by any other thermocompensated watch! I sincerely hope that the main HAQ criteria is still accuracy/precision. If so then the Seiko 9F is still on the top of the tree. It has one of the most advanced thermocompensation scemes with superb algorithm.
    For some reasons the 9F has pretty poor PR here in this forum while other movements got more than their fair share of credits... Wonder why? After all this is the HAQ forum where accuracy/precision is (or rather should be) paramount.
    A year ago or so I visited my local Seiko service center (that functional as a shop as well) with my Horometer quartz tester. We measured the accuracy of one of my Seiko watches and their instrument and the Horometer had different results. It was obvious to me that their instrument was not properly calibrated but I could see that they did not necessary share my view so I thought I can demonstrate it by measuring their one and only Grand Seiko 9F "special edition" with the within 5 seconds per year accuracy claim that were on display behind glass. My demonstration was a complete success as it proved that both my Horometer and their Grand Seiko 9F were properly calibrated as the repeated measurements indicated an accuracy of 0,00 second/day for the Grand Seiko 9F. The 9F movement is nothing less than an etalon in the world of HAQ.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's true, I may be a bit harsh on the 9F. But that's partly because I like my SBGV009 so much that I bought it twice! My 9F-powered GS is one of my all time favourite watches. And yet... having to reset the time twice per year makes a mockery of its precision. And if I travel then I either have to leave the GS at home or else hack the watch yet again.

I love the bit of extra power that drives long hands all the way to the edge of the dial. I love the precision with which the second hand hits the markers. It really is superbly made. Most of all, of course, I love the fact that I can open it up and adjust the rate. This is what secures my GS's place in the top five of my collection, above current offerings from ETA and Citizen.

But given how much pride GS seem to take in this movement and given how much it costs, it really does bother me that they still haven't got around to adding a perpetual calendar or an independently adjustable hour hand.

And yes, the newly announced GMT model does finally add an independently adjustable hour hand but after more than two decades I would have hoped to have seen this in the three-handers before now. My 1975 Omega has independently adjustable seconds, minutes and hours and is even more accurate than my GS (by a hair's breadth, I'll admit), so whilst I don't doubt the supremacy of Seiko's algorithms, there's always the real world experience to take into account and for me the 9F always disappoints because it's so darned good and I feel Seiko have robbed it of the chance to be even better.

Anyway, I apologise for side-tracking a thread about a cal. 8J! I have an 8J in one of my watches. I can't remember which, off the top of my head. Not being able to adjust the rate rather dampened my interest in it. But since Credor don't use the 9F, I think the 8J is probably an adequate HAQ movement if the style and finishing of a Credor is what the OP wants.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

HAQ and AW moderator

While I am Mr. Moderator the main HAQ criteria is still accuracy/precision.

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    While I am Mr. Moderator the main HAQ criteria is still accuracy/precision.
    No argument with that. However, seconds per year (which can only be definitively measured over one year) is meaningless if your watch has to be rehacked for DST and every time you dare to venture abroad. A watch that you have to leave at home, and which is an hour fast or slow for half a year is a pretty silly advertisement for accuracy. Anybody can stick their expensive watch in a glass case and admire it daily, but the clue is in the name: "wristwatch".
    Last edited by chris01; September 7th, 2018 at 00:34.
    ronalddheld likes this.

Hi all, just to clarify that this Credor 8J model does have an adjustable hour hand, which my 9F SBGT237 does not
    watchcrank likes this.

Is there a list of the best HAQ watches or movements...rated by users or otherwise ?

I didn't look at all of em...but OPs model was the only one using the 8J86, which does have the IAHH. (EDIT: well, that and its brother...same dial, diff trim.) Most are the 8J81, which doesn't; there's some 2-handers as well, that are 8J80s.

It looks like Credor is predominately going for extra-thin. OP's watch is 8.5 mm ... nothing to sneeze at. The 8J81's were basically 6.5; one I saw was 6.7. Eek. Which is understandable I suppose; Credors are by and large pretty formal dress pieces.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

I agree that it has to have high precision to be in this forum, but part of the conversation is the features like perp calander and size which makes it a watch worth buying and wearing. Personally I'm not interested in a 35mm watch even if it was to have 1 spy accuracy.

Of course if you're into small thin HAQ watches this is a nice option.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information