What are your thoughts on Bulova Curv?
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What are your thoughts on Bulova Curv?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What are your thoughts on Bulova Curv?

I recently discovered the Bulova Curv and fell in love with its sleek design and how it curves around your wrist. I think the display back on a quartz movement is actually really cool!

I haven’t seen one in person but thought I would check with anyone that has owned one. How do/did you like the watch?

This is a photo I found online. I can’t decide if I like the rose hold hands or the stainless steel with blue seconds hand.

Name:  IMG_5263.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  100.6 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Proliant likes this.

Re: What are your thoughts on Bulova Curv?

I think many of that line are very nice. Just a touch large though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A lot of info on this watch over on the Bulova forum. Definately a unique watch. Personally, I wasn't into the second hand. If it had a center sweep second hand I might have pulled the trigger and bought one.

But that's just me if you like it, hunt down the best price, there seem to be some bargain prices out there. Good luck.
    ronalddheld likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Like mine a lot, but technically they are not HAQ. The definition requires temperature compensation, which no Bulova movement has.

Proliant likes this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Quote Originally Posted by wbird View Post
    A lot of info on this watch over on the Bulova forum. Definately a unique watch. Personally, I wasn't into the second hand. If it had a center sweep second hand I might have pulled the trigger and bought one.
    There is no big sweep second hand, only small seconds on the 6H subdial, and no date wheel. most other 262 have one except the Curv models, they can't, it won’t fit under the crystal
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Like mine a lot, but technically they are not HAQ. The definition requires temperature compensation, which no Bulova movement has.
    - The current COSC for quartz requires temperature compensation not the definition of HAQ! Otherwise non-thermocompensated MHz-range watches would not qualify for HAQ but as we know they are very much HAQ!
    - Bulova do not officially mention (perhaps for marketing reason - it is a Citizen owned company!) thermocompensation as an applied technology in case of their quartz movements but that by itself would not necessary mean that thermocompensation is not applied in any of their movements. I subjected my Bulova Curv to extreme temperature tests and for me the end results would not rule out the presence of thermocompensation in that movement. Obviously, my test results cannot be interpreted as rock solid evidence for the presence of applied thermocompensation but I would definitely not rule out the presence of thermocompensation in case of that particular movement...

Quote Originally Posted by ppaulusz View Post
    - Bulova do not officially mention (perhaps for marketing reason - it is a Citizen owned company!) thermocompensation as an applied technology in case of their quartz movements but that by itself would not necessary mean that thermocompensation is not applied in any of their movements. I subjected my Bulova Curv to extreme temperature tests and for me the end results would not rule out the presence of thermocompensation in that movement. Obviously, my test results cannot be interpreted as rock solid evidence for the presence of applied thermocompensation but I would definitely not rule out the presence of thermocompensation in case of that particular movement...
    There's no official documentation or marketing literature I could find either but some of the write-ups in the watch on-line magazines/blogs (like A Blog to Watch) mention the 3 prong quartz crystal provides some inherent temperature compensation. I have no idea if that's truly the case but I do find in the four 262kHz Bulovas I own they seem to be more accurate than the 2 Certinas Precidrives I own. I attribute it to better trimming in production in the Bulova/Citizen production facility compared to the Swatch facility than how good/lousy TC is in this watch.

Regarding the original poster's question, I like my Curv. I bought the cheapest model, the one with blue accents and leather strap. I replaced the strap since it was too long and could never get a nice fit with it. The watch seems to 'roll' on my wrist more than other watches, the curved case seems to make it more prone to doing that compared to a flat case. It does wear smaller than the case size suggests though. One other minor irritant is due to the curved crystal, reflections are a bit more annoying since you can't just move your wrist a bit to make them go away. The dial detail is definitely better than many watches at this price point.

One piece of advice: avoid the rubber strap versions of this watch. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with them, it's that they're proprietary and you have to go to Bulova to get replacements. I had a watch once (different brand) with such a 'trick' strap and the mfr. discontinued making the strap 7-8 years after the watch was discontinued. We have no idea if Bulova will do the same but you can bet they will quit making it at some point and you're stuck with a watch that likely runs just fine but no way to wear it. I for one refuse to every buy any watch with a special strap that you can only buy from the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by tmathes View Post
    There's no official documentation or marketing literature I could find either but some of the write-ups in the watch on-line magazines/blogs (like A Blog to Watch) mention the 3 prong quartz crystal provides some inherent temperature compensation. I have no idea if that's truly the case but I do find in the four 262kHz Bulovas I own they seem to be more accurate than the 2 Certinas Precidrives I own. I attribute it to better trimming in production in the Bulova/Citizen production facility compared to the Swatch facility than how good/lousy TC is in this watch.
    The three-pronged crystal is an attempt to provide a more temperature-insensitive cut compared to a normal tuning fork. This is not quite the same as temperature compensation; at least, not in the way we think of when we talk about thermocompensation.

There could, of course, be some other sort of thermocompensation circuitry embedded elsewhere in the movement. (Not convinced, personally)
    ronalddheld and yankeexpress like this.
    Ask me about 4 MHz watches

HAQ and AW moderator

IMO Bulovas mayne more temperature insensitive than ordinary quartz watches. No idea if there is any TC in them, but I would need to be convinced.

I'm pretty certain we will never get enough data and results on this forum to make any convincing arguments or definitive conclusions on if Bulova employs any form of TC, or if the tri prong configuration is more temperature insensitive. Than again, based on the results over the years here, on watches with TC, I can't make that many conclusions on how well the TC they employ works either.

I mean can anyone answer the question as to who has the best TC between Breitling, Swatch, Citizen, Seiko, Morgernwerk, or Apple?

So as opposed to being skeptical about all the HAQ watches we know and talk about, l'm okay with, and accept the fact that Bulova UHF movements seem to be achieveing pretty impressive accuracy results. I have every reason to believe based on the results here that a Bulova UHF perform about the same or better than most Precidrive watches, just don't know how or why.
    tmathes likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information