Why haven't thermo compensation found its way to more affordable watches ?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Why haven't thermo compensation found its way to more affordable watches ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why haven't thermo compensation found its way to more affordable watches ?

Or maybe it have ? as an electronics engineer it seems that TCVCXO can gives decent results in a very low cost

Reference: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/the...ents-2087.html

RPF

Re: Why haven't thermo compensation found its way to more affordable watches ?

Quote Originally Posted by or_rs View Post
    Or maybe it have ? as an electronics engineer it seems that TCVCXO can gives decent results in a very low cost

Very simple. Because accuracy does not sell watches.

Ordinary quartz is good enough. To provide accuracy as a specced feature, brands have to be prepared to develop dedicated service networks that currently do not exist for quartz watches. Otherwise, warranty claims cannot be processed. It's an expense that few brands want.
    stolen-gmt-master and tmathes like this.

I doubt enough people care for the manufacturers to care.
    tmathes likes this.
    If I fail to reply to your inane post just assume you are on the ignore list.

I bought a knackered clock.... https://carlsclock.blogspot.com/ Updated 29/4/19

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Other than even better accuracy, what would be the point. Simply increasing the frequency will effectively deliver better accuracy without the need for TC. Sure, it's require for COSC certification but that's mostly a vanity certification now. Besides, with RF time correction now readily available in a variety of watches, who would pay extra for TC?

Very few people care about the level of accuracy offered by HAQ watches. Scientists, engineers and OCD people are really the only market for these watches. Me, I'm OCD and proud of it!

Name:  IMG_1873 - Copy.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  254.7 KB

Those who really care for accuracy have access to the official time that is based on atomic clocks. Simple quartz is good enough.

Accuracy may have a good following among the members here but in the big wide world cost is king and thermo compensation costs.

Quote Originally Posted by or_rs View Post

What do you define as affordable?
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

I care about accuracy but find quartz generally good enough. I bought my latest G shock 8 days ago and it's not a second out yet. On the other hand, my Tissot T-touch expert solar regularly loses around 10 seconds a month and it annoys me. I don't understand how some quartzes are different than others.

I've also got a radio controlled G-Shock which is accurate as it gets the signal. And I have a Bulova precisionist I never wear because I don't like its looks. I only bought it because its 262khz. It certainly seems to be accurate, more so than my other watches. My favourite watch is this Rado which has a chronograph, Timer, Alarm, day date etc. and looks good - it's only out by about 3 seconds a month. That's good enough to me. It would be good, though to find a watch that was under 10 seconds out in a year. Actually I think my Bulova probably is.

HAQ and AW moderator

Ordinary quartz accuracy is not good enough for us in this forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information