WUZ - The Watch U Zimmer is finished!

Thread: WUZ - The Watch U Zimmer is finished!

WUZ - The Watch U Zimmer is finished!

I have mentioned a couple of times that I would do timings, this or that, "once I get moved in to my room"... I will have to use some other excuse as the WUZ, WatchUZimmer is finished!

The youngest kid finally graduated from college this May so the study he grabbed became officially free... He isn't coming back! (... maybe. You know kids ) I cleared it out. The wife painted it (so I would stop using the dining room for all "your darn watch stuff!" ). And I've moved in.

It is amazing how having an allocated space, away from the TV and Internet, can make you more productive. I now actually have a fairly good idea how many watches I have (about 120 after some culling). I can store my tools. The collection is all in one spot (pretty much) and the documenting and repairing has begun.

The cooler will both heat and cool. Some thermocompensation experiments are in it's future!! The shelving is cheap and strong. I kept the bottom shelf high enough so the Roomba floor sweeping robot can get underneath.

The graphic on the wall provides needed color in an otherwise almost all white room.

The desk is a drafting table that is set up to be higher than a normal desk. That makes detailed work easier but work needing magnification needs more elevation than this arrangement gives. Right now I'm just using some books covered with a rubberized white mat similar to what is covering the desk now (non-slip drawer liner... works great!).

Putting the work tools on a wheeled cart was a good idea... I may get a second one.

The diffusion light in the upper left of the picture is my substitute for a light box. I went to buy a light box on eBay and found I could buy three studio diffusion lights which were almost unused for only twice the money. I leave one set up for watch photos. (I can do that now that I have my own room! )

(Note the Roomba on the floor in the background... I like them so much I have two.)

Some of the current collection. The stands are cheap ones I bought in bulk off a Fossil dealer... turned around so you can't see the Fossil lettering.

The round device in the corner is a HEPA air filter... I will see if I can avoid dusting

You can never have too many winders!

It is so much easier to work when everything is available, in a known place, and won't walk away if you take a break of a day or two

The smartest thing I did was the white floor. To date most of my pathetic attempts to work on watches have inevitably ended up with me on my hands and knees looking for something I dropped. With a white floor you find everything right away... zero frustration!!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Re: WUZ - The Watch U Zimmer is finished!

I enjoyed that....looks like you've got a nice setup now and as someone who also has spent too much time on the floor looking for parts, I really can appreciate that white floor!

Thanks for sharing.

Totally fantastic, Jim! Great job on the room. Very thoughtfully set up. (Especially the lubricant in the cooler. )

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bruce reding View Post
    totally fantastic, jim! Great job on the room. Very thoughtfully set up. (especially the lubricant in the cooler. B-))
    +1

I know you like the horse-racing graphic, but I really appreciate seeing inside your watch-surgery.

The clean white, the pose-able lamps, the crash-cart. All you need is a nurse to pass you tools and mop your brow.

Try sticking a magnet to the front of your Roomba and see what you actually pick up under the shelves and in the corners.

Looking forward to seeing the renovation!

HAQ and AW moderator

Impressive setup. No way that could be donw in an apartment.

Thread Information