X-33 LCD Display - Circular Polarizer? X-Post

Thread: X-33 LCD Display - Circular Polarizer? X-Post

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

X-33 LCD Display - Circular Polarizer? X-Post

It was suggested in the Omega forum that I re-post my question here, so here you go:

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Still learning about my new X-33 - sounds like an excuse for a gratuitous pic:

While driving around today, I noticed that the LCD display was perfectly legible AT ANY ANGLE while wearing polarized sunglasses.

This is much different than other LCD displays viewed while wearing polarized sunglasses which will "black out" when viewed at certain angles.

When I returned home, I took a polarizing filter and held it in front of various LCD display watches and rotated the filter - in every case, EXCEPT THE X-33, the display would "black out" at a certain angle. My Suunto Core, all my G-shocks, Seiko "Arnie," etc. all "blacked out."

The fact that the X-33 LCD display does not "black out" is very significant, IMHO. Significant enough to at least mention in the various reviews and specs I have read, but I have found no evidence of this feature anywhere.

But how is this possible? Do Omega use a circular polarizing layer in the LCD display? Anyone know?

.:thanks

Re: X-33 LCD Display - Circular Polarizer? X-Post

The 'blacking out' when using a polarizing filter comes from the reflection being polarized. It is possible the anti-reflective coating interferes with this phenomena.

I doubt the G-shocks has an anti-reflective coating... could it be the others don't either?
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I'm pretty sure that the AR effect is achieved by coating the sapphire with a material which has a refractive index about half way between that of air and that of sapphire. (Actually; it is far, far more complicated than this, but this is close enough without being boring.) This minimises the irritating boundary effects.

I'm not really sure if there is a material available that combines this effect with polarisation. I suspect a polarised crystal would be both very obvious and irritating.
    Last edited by M4tt; June 7th, 2008 at 08:19.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't believe the AR coating on the crystal has anything to do with this phenomenon.

A Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) is a sandwich of glass with a display layer and a polarizer layer. Without the polarizer layer, the digits on the display would be unreadable.

You can see details of how a "positive" (black letters/numbers on a light background) LCD display can be changed to a "negative" (light letters/numbers on a black background) by rotating this polarizing layer 90 degrees in some previous G-shock "how-to" threads.

The "black out" phenomenon observed on watches other than the X-33 is limited to the LCD display area only - not any watch crystal which may cover it.

Anyone know if the LCD's on the Breitling B-1 are also immune to this phenomenon?

Seeing as how pilots would be likely to wear polarizing sunglasses, I would think this would be good to know.

Any further thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Seeing as how pilots would be likely to wear polarizing sunglasses, I would think this would be good to know.

Any further thoughts?
    Just a small correction: Commercial jet pilots don't wear polarizing sunglasses, as they affect normal vision through layered glass heated windscreen panels.

Omega Marine Chronometer f2,4MHz
    Omega Speedmaster Moon display back
    Omega Speedmaster Mk III
    Omega Speedmaster Mk 4,5 5100
    Omega Speedmaster Speedsonic f300Hz
    Omega Chronostop Yachttimer
    Omega Speedmaster X-33 2nd edition
    Omega Seamaster 1040
    Omega Speedmaster Mk 40 Cosmos
    Omega Flightmaster 910 & 911

Quote Originally Posted by flyinghell34 View Post
    Hey gaijin,

Now what did I say. These guys got all the answers.

BTW. Great X-33. Love mine as well.

John
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see an answer yet ...

Yeh, but the discussion exists... we haven't given up yet!

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Why not get in touch with Omega and see if they can give a definitive answer as to what they do to the module in order to overcome the effect of "black out"?
    Last edited by Fatpants; June 7th, 2008 at 23:00.

Yes... and I would like to see another X-33 owner confirm the behavior. I'd do it but I have yet to find one I can afford

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Yes... and I would like to see another X-33 owner confirm the behavior.
    I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information