Rolex stolen by airport security at JFK - Page 3
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Rolex stolen by airport security at JFK

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Rolex stolen by airport security at JFK

With the recession around the corner one has to wonder what these people will be capable of doing should there be a repeat of 10/24/1929:(

I was asked to take my watch off many times. Once another passenger tried to swap my Rolex for his cheap watch! I caught him in the act and was about to lunge at him but a police officer intervened. I was happy to get it back but angry I couldn’t punch the bastard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your story sounds pretty far fetched. Or maybe he forgot the watch on the dresser of the hotel he was staying at? Did he call to inquire? When tasks become habitual/ repetitive, sometimes our mind plays tricks on us, and although we’re certain we’ve done something, it turns out it’s just a recollection of a previous instance in which a particular action was performed and not recently.

You’re story isn’t impossible, but how likely is it that TSA personnel would spot his watch, have sufficient time to investigate whether it’s worth stealing, remove it from his carry-on luggage, returning everything to its original place without anyone including your father noticing? I’m aware there have been instances of TSA personnel stealing luxury watches, but in all those cases the watches were just taken out of the trays they were lying in. In none of the instances the watches were stolen while contained in luggage at security checks.
    Last edited by T1meout; 2 Weeks Ago at 19:06.
    mharris660 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by T1meout View Post
    maybe he forgot the watch on the dresser of the hotel he was staying at?
    You’re story isn’t impossible, but how likely is it that TSA personnel would spot his watch, have sufficient time to investigate whether it’s worth stealing, remove it from his carry-on luggage, returning everything to its original place without anyone including your father noticing it.
    This - While it's possible it was stolen, the TSA person would've had to have been a master pickpocket to pull of such a maneuver and the guy didn't realize until HE WAS BOARDING THE PLANE??

If that's how you manage your expensive stuff on the go it's only a matter of time before it's gone.

So:

(1.) Buy insurance, it's < $100 / year.

(2.) Buy pre-check, don't pack your watch, it'll set off the detector unless it's a Sinn, have the dude hold it in his hand in front of you, i've done that for years

(3.) Before you accuse someone of theft, consider your process and accountability - if he didn't check immediately before and after security, and observe the entire time then it's ridiculous to accuse someone.

In this case, there's a 80% probability the guy misplaced it. He might as well accuse the gate agent too. Or the passengers, they probably did it.

This dude misplaced his watch, or was irresponsible keeping track of it, and now he can't take accountability for his mistake so he's trying to blame others.

"it could only be security??" come on, tell your dad to man-up and take a little responsibility.
    Last edited by GrussGott; 2 Weeks Ago at 19:05.
    MBGuy and mharris660 like this.

I'm not buying the story, even on the balance of probability, that it was the TSA. It could
    be.

The watch bears a serial number and it should have been recorded. It would also be on
    service records. The theft should have been reported immediately when it was discovered,
    pictures taken of the area (meaning staff), and a police report filed. You can check with lost
    and found and also on the stolen watches forum.

I'm sorry for the loss and hope it is recovered.
    GrussGott and mharris660 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MBGuy View Post
    I'm not buying the story, even on the balance of probability, that it was the TSA. It could
    be.
    It definitely feels this-is-why-you-can't-have-nice-things

Quote Originally Posted by T1meout View Post
    Your story sounds pretty far fetched. Or maybe he forgot the watch on the dresser of the hotel he was staying at? Did he call to inquire? When tasks become habitual/ repetitive, sometimes our mind plays tricks on us, and although we’re certain we’ve done something, it turns out it’s just a recollection of a previous instance in which a particular action was performed and not recently.

You’re story isn’t impossible, but how likely is it that TSA personnel would spot his watch, have sufficient time to investigate whether it’s worth stealing, remove it from his carry-on luggage, returning everything to its original place without anyone including your father noticing? I’m aware there have been instances of TSA personnel stealing luxury watches, but in all those cases the watches were just taken out of the trays they were lying in. In none of the instances the watches were stolen while contained in luggage at security checks.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    This - While it's possible it was stolen, the TSA person would've had to have been a master pickpocket to pull of such a maneuver and the guy didn't realize until HE WAS BOARDING THE PLANE??

If that's how you manage your expensive stuff on the go it's only a matter of time before it's gone.

So:

(1.) Buy insurance, it's < $100 / year.

(2.) Buy pre-check, don't pack your watch, it'll set off the detector unless it's a Sinn, have the dude hold it in his hand in front of you, i've done that for years

(3.) Before you accuse someone of theft, consider your process and accountability - if he didn't check immediately before and after security, and observe the entire time then it's ridiculous to accuse someone.

In this case, there's a 80% probability the guy misplaced it. He might as well accuse the gate agent too. Or the passengers, they probably did it.

This dude misplaced his watch, or was irresponsible keeping track of it, and now he can't take accountability for his mistake so he's trying to blame others.

"it could only be security??" come on, tell your dad to man-up and take a little responsibility.
    Both good points. The wild assertions in other posts are just mind boggling.

Every millimeter of the screening area is covered by cameras. If it was taken, then it is on camera - but - let's look how this could have been orchestrated:

Three TSA agents would have had to have been involved -

The screener that requested the pat-down
    The screener monitoring the x-ray machine
    The screener that removed the watch from the bag - in full visibility of the public and the supervisor (and the cameras)

A screener looking through a bag without the traveler present would have aroused suspicion.

When was the watch put in the bag? Why bury it in the bag? I always put my valuable (basically everything from my pockets) into a clear zippered bag that goes into an empty pocket of my carry-on. Upon leaving the screening section, I sit down on one of the benches, put my shoes back on (if I had to remove them) and check the clear bag. If I have time, then I put everything back in my pockets at that time or I put the bag back - but I always check it whenever it is out of my sight.

There is something else odd about the story. If the traveler didn't have pre-check, then why was the computer in the bag? If the customer had pre-check, then why did he take his watch off?
    mharris660 and GrussGott like this.

I am so sorry this happened. That is how i lost my headphones in a similar manner and by time I found out, I was in a plane and it was too late.

I see somebody mention insurance, so maybe someone here can perhaps PM me on insurance and what to pay for? I always have been interested in insuring my watches...

Besides the possible magnetization, was there a reason why he did not wear the watch?

those areas are under camera surveillance and you are never separated from your carry on. This story seems odd to me. I travel quite a bit and every hand search of my carry on has been done with me standing right in front of those doing the search. I think that's airport policy.

I can't speak for JFK, but I can tell you I personally witnessed a family member losing her watch at the Dubai airport. The pre-screening security a few years back - before the actual check in counters at the doors - she walked in - put her personal possessions on the scanner and her watch didn't make it out. My sister had someone walk away with her laptop. No matter how many cameras - airports are prime places for things to get stolen. I appreciate the suggestions of wearing your watch. I'm not sure about how that works with TSA Precheck tho as you have to through a metal detector instead of that body scanner and they tell you to take off all metal items. Can you request to keep your watch on? I've always taken off my rolex before but if that's the case at least in the US I won't.
    eric.nielsen likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information