Rolex stolen by airport security at JFK
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Rolex stolen by airport security at JFK

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Rolex stolen by airport security at JFK

My father stills travels a lot. On his last flight (which was early AM, so very few people going through security / milling about), he put his carry-on to be x-rayed, it went through and he was then told he had to have a "random/mandatory" pat down. Queue a few minutes later he was let through and recuperated his carry-on bag on the other side of the X-Ray machine.

Each time he travels, he purposely buries his Rolex deep in his carry on luggage so as to specifically not have to take it off when going through security / risk it being stolen.

On this occasion, up boarding the flight, he went to put on his watch, only it wasn't there.

As it was buried to deep in a bag in a pocket at the bottom of the bag, covered in other items (a computer, two book, a pen case with two Mont Blanc pens etc etc etc), the only way anyone could know it was there was by the X-Ray. They specifically took the watch and had carefully replaced everything else back the way it had been. So, as there was almost no one near the security checkpoint, the only conclusion is that it was stolen by someone working for Airport Security or who had seen it in the X-Ray, or who had been told about it by someone working the X-Ray machine.

Needless to say, he is really, really pissed. But trying to claim it was stolen by airport security is impossible.

Lesson learned: think twice about flying with a valuable watch. Even the security is full of thieves.

Re: Rolex stolen by airport security at JFK

crazy.. never heard this until now. Maybe if he files police report (serial numbers, etc) and hopefully will be found somewhere....
    FBPB likes this.

Sorry to hear, but why is "trying to claim it was stolen by airport security . . impossible"? It unfortunately happens all the time & he could file a police report in JFK when he returns. PITA, yes, & unlikely he will recover the watch, but not impossible & it would at least help w/an insurance claim.
    FBPB likes this.
    ------------------------------------

(Almost) every watch a tool watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your responses. His Rolex was purchased in the mid 1980s, unfortunately he did not keep the box and paperwork, so there's no way of knowing the serial number.

So, even though he knows when/where it was stolen, there is no way to prove it.

The porters in the airport are often cashing in on the thefts. Bad, but still a lesson.

I never remove my watches when going through security and never have an issue being asked to remove them. I go through the 360 scanner where you put your arms in the air and also the walk through scanner and both times no issues. In fact one time I took off my wedding ring (which is just a cheap titanium ring) and the guy told me not to take it off or my watch and I should always keep it on.

They have cameras all over the security area. I cannot believe the police would not be able to at least check the cameras? Worth a try right?

I have taken my watch off before when asked (although that is rare) and put it in the tray, but at least that way, if it gets swiped the time frame is only 30secs, meaning the thief should be identifiable.

I had an entire gear bag go "missing," on a flight back from Okinawa. When I went to file a claim with United, I was told that I had to wait 30 days, just to see if the bag would turn up.

After 30 days and still no bag, I filed a claim. A month later, I get a letter stating that because I waited so long to file a claim - the implication being that I should've filed a claim immediately...you know...liked I'd tried to do - that I didn't give United a fair opportunity to locate my bag and could pound sand with no further ability to appeal. I lost over $2000 worth of gear in that bag, including a hand-made set of tonfa given to me as a gift from my hanshi (which was worth more to me than everything else in that bag combined).

So yeah, I absolutely believe airport personnel steal from customers.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

Happened to me one time. I was in a rush as I arrived at the airport a bit late for my flight. I put my iPhone in the tray and by the time I got through security on the other side of the security my phone disappeared. Instead there was a $10 flip phone! This was a small airport and there were no other passengers at the security check.

When I asked them what happened to my phone they said someone must have taken it. When I persisted they called a woman who had accidentally mistaken my iPhone for her flip phone. I bet this was organized thinking people who were in a hurry wouldn’t notice.
    FBPB likes this.

So there's literally nothing you can do with such a high valuable item? There has to be some security footage or something

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information