BaselWorld 2018 Press Release: Kim-Eva Wempe of Wempe Jewelers Speaks

Thread: BaselWorld 2018 Press Release: Kim-Eva Wempe of Wempe Jewelers Speaks

BaselWorld 2018 Press Release: Kim-Eva Wempe of Wempe Jewelers Speaks

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 8.06.09 PM.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  66.4 KB

“Quality can be seen and felt.”

Kim-Eva Wempe talks about quality, jewellery premieres, and whom she would like to meet at the next Baselworld.

Baselworld: What was the most important premiere in your life?

Kim-Eva Wempe:
    The “Cosmora by Kim” jewellery line, inspired by metropolises around the globe, consists of thirteen fantastic one-of- a-kind rings. I don’t only love this masterpiece of haute joaillerie, I also fondly recall its premiere in Berlin in 2014. To present the rings to the journalists, we created twelve different stagings and transformed the Jandorf department store in Berlin-Mitte into a magical world.

Baselworld: Which “first time”, i.e. which premiere, awaits you in the future?

Kim-Eva Wempe:
    My first rally behind the wheel of my “youngtimer”. I don’t yet know which rally that will be! My Fiat Spider Volumex is still rather young, so it wouldn’t be eligible to participate in the Mille Miglia, for example. While I look for a suitable event, I’ll continue to drive my convertible only in Hamburg.

Baselworld: How do you recognise quality?

Kim-Eva Wempe:
    Quality can be seen and felt in the craftsmanship. Genuine quality results from excellent craftsmanship and it especially manifests itself in the love for details.

Baselworld: Which human qualities do you particularly value?

Kim-Eva Wempe:
    Conscientiousness!

Baselworld: What constitutes the quality of a watch or a piece of jewellery?

Kim-Eva Wempe:
    Quality manifests itself when the watchmaker’s craft and the goldsmith’s art interact with high-quality materials, e.g. gold and platinum, diamonds or emeralds. And the idea, i.e. the design, also makes an essential contribution to quality.

Baselworld: Whom would you like to meet (at Baselworld) and why?

Kim-Eva Wempe:
    I’d like to talk with the designer Marc Newson. He contributed to the design of the Apple Watch and, before that, he designed several variants of Jaeger-LeCoultre’s fascinating “Atmos”. He was already impressed by mechanical watches as a child, and as a teenager he was enthusiastic about Patek Philippe and ultra-slim watches from Piaget. This tension between modernity and mechanisms interests me. What inspired him in his work on the Apple Watch? Was he also influenced by the traditional watchmaker’s craft? These are questions that I’d like to discuss with him.

Baselworld: How are you preparing for Baselworld 2018?

Kim-Eva Wempe:
    Very objectively: with statistics and sales figures. Before I go to Baselworld, I need to know what items were especially well received by our clientele, what we ought to augment in our assortment, and which purchasing volumes we’re planning. I usually search for inspiration and ideas on trips in advance of the show.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 6.02.55 PM.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  73.3 KB

In the fourth generation, Kim-Eva Wempe has, since 2003, managed the fortunes of the homonymous, traditional, internationally active, Hamburg-based jewellery business, which was founded in 1878.

Last edited by CMSgt Bo; February 16th, 2018 at 04:23.

Thread Information