Citizen Eco Drive Replace Crystal...

Thread: Citizen Eco Drive Replace Crystal...

Citizen Eco Drive Replace Crystal...

Some ass has gone and bumped into me in the street today and my watch has jarred against a stone wall - the crystal is ruined.

I called Citizen service centre and they have said they can replace the crystal for me for approximately £70, but it will be replaced with exactly the same type of crystal that the watch was manufactured with.

The watch is a U600-S076226 and they have said that means it originally came with a mineral glass crystal. It seems this picks up scratches easily compared with a sapphire crystal. I have read other posts here and it seems other users have had success getting their Eco-Drive mineral crystal replaced with sapphire crystal, is this possible in the UK?

I don't want to send it off to Citizen UK and pay to just have it replaced with a mineral crystal again if I can possibly avoid it...

Re: Citizen Eco Drive Replace Crystal...

They're not in the UK, but they will replace a mineral crystal with a sapphire on some models at least, I asked about having a BM8180 crystal swapped.

https://www.hurleyrobertsservice.com/

I haven't used them personally, but others here on the forum have, a search will find you some info. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    They're not in the UK, but they will replace a mineral crystal with a sapphire on some models at least, I asked about having a BM8180 crystal swapped.

[link removed]

I haven't used them personally, but others here on the forum have, a search will find you some info. Good luck!
    I am not sure about sending the watch internationally. I have tried to find a jeweller who is relatively local (a hundred miles or so away in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter) and they all are refusing to touch it, pointing out this watch has 'DO NOT OPEN SERVICE CENTER REPAIR ONLY' printed on the case back.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 6226 View Post
    I am not sure about sending the watch internationally. I have tried to find a jeweller who is relatively local (a hundred miles or so away in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter) and they all are refusing to touch it, pointing out this watch has 'DO NOT OPEN SERVICE CENTER REPAIR ONLY' printed on the case back.
    Yep. But Hurley is an authorized Citizen Service Center. So...it's a last resort if nothing else haha

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    No help to the OP, but did they say they would do a BM8180?
    On the wrist: Orient Mako II Pepsi, Polaris GMT; Citizen Nighthawk, BN0151, BM8180; Dan Henry 1963, 1972; Svalbard Einzeiger
    In the pocket: 1899 Hamilton 924, 1907 Illinois, 1939 Hamilton 912, Belair stainless

If you can get it out and measure it both diameter and thickness you can order sapphire cheap to replace. It cost me around 10 dollars for a sapphire from china. Took a few weeks to get here but really nice outcome.

Name:  SxQV6EX.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  4.40 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 6226 View Post
    it originally came with a mineral glass crystal. It seems this picks up scratches easily compared with a sapphire crystal. ... I don't want to send it off to Citizen UK and pay to just have it replaced with a mineral crystal again if I can possibly avoid it.
    Do whatever it takes to get a sapphire crystal, whether it means sending it off to a third party, buying an individual crystal online or overseas and having it installed locally, etc. Mineral crystals are junk and they always scratch. Sapphires aren't expensive, it's synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by drooartz View Post
    No help to the OP, but did they say they would do a BM8180?
    They said they would indeed! But ultimately I ended up selling it off and buying a JDM titanium Promaster instead.

Thanks. I may have to look into the upgrade. I wear the little BM8180 a bunch, and the minor worry of scratching the crystal is my only negative for the watch.
    On the wrist: Orient Mako II Pepsi, Polaris GMT; Citizen Nighthawk, BN0151, BM8180; Dan Henry 1963, 1972; Svalbard Einzeiger
    In the pocket: 1899 Hamilton 924, 1907 Illinois, 1939 Hamilton 912, Belair stainless

The trouble with citizens and sapphires is the standard glass on most citizens is random say 33.8mm
    Readily available Sapphire crystals usually come in just whole sizes say 33mm or 34mm
    This is my experience anyway

Thread Information