Need Advice on Purchasing New Citizen Watch
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Need Advice on Purchasing New Citizen Watch

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Need Advice on Purchasing New Citizen Watch

Hi,

Need a new everyday, versatile watch for less than $300. Looking for something stylish that can be worn in all circumstances but also functional.

Specifically looking at these 3 watches:

1. Black Citizen Nighthawk BJ7000-52E

https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/p...J7000-52E.html

2. Citizen Perpetual Calendar Chrono Stainless Steel Band AT4008-51E

https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-D.../dp/B005BSEOXK

3. Citizen Perpetual Calendar AT9010-52E

https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-D.../dp/B00DBUVIVQ

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Need Advice on Purchasing New Citizen Watch

The first and third ones can show the time in a second time zone, which may be a useful feature, depending on your needs.

The second one has a chronograph, but if I recall correctly it requires fiddling with the crown to change modes. Some models, like those with the H800 movement, allow accessing the chronograph via the buttons alone, which is nice.

The second and third ones are radio-controlled. I find this to be a useful feature, but if you don't live in an area that's supported then it may be of no use to you. These two do have a perpetual calendar, which would be useful even without radio control. The third one supports many more radio-controlled time zones than the second one.
    Pneuma and adnj like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    The first and third ones can show the time in a second time zone, which may be a useful feature, depending on your needs.

The second one has a chronograph, but if I recall correctly it requires fiddling with the crown to change modes. Some models, like those with the H800 movement, allow accessing the chronograph via the buttons alone, which is nice.

The second and third ones are radio-controlled. I find this to be a useful feature, but if you don't live in an area that's supported then it may be of no use to you. These two do have a perpetual calendar, which would be useful even without radio control. The third one supports many more radio-controlled time zones than the second one.
    Thanks.

I do live in an area that has atomic time radio reception so it would definitely be a useful feature. I don't have the need to display more than 1 time zone at once.

I did read that the third watch (AT9010) has 23 mm lugs. Does this make finding watch straps difficult? I would like to put a silicone or leather strap on it occasionally.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hurley81388 View Post
    Thanks.

I do live in an area that has atomic time radio reception so it would definitely be a useful feature. I don't have the need to display more than 1 time zone at once.

I did read that the third watch (AT9010) has 23 mm lugs. Does this make finding watch straps difficult? I would like to put a silicone or leather strap on it occasionally.
    It would be easier to find good fitting straps if the lug width were 22mm or 24mm. That said, three of my four Citizens have a 23mm lug width.

24mm silicone or leather straps can squeeze into a 23mm lug width, but the spring bars that come with the strap may need to be changed because they are likely too long.

It would be easier to find good fitting straps if the lug width were 22mm or 24mm. That said, three of my four Citizens have a 23mm lug width.

24mm silicone or leather straps can squeeze into a 23mm lug width, but the spring bars that come with the strap may need to be changed because they are likely too long.
    What is the best source for finding silicone and leather 23 mm straps?

Do you think it's worth the extra $100 for the perpetual calendar and radio control?

Aesthetically speaking, is the Nighthawk better looking?
    Last edited by hurley81388; May 26th, 2019 at 03:24.

I haven't seen a big selection of 23mm straps, but they are probably available in various places. I see that WatchGecko has some 23mm leather straps. I bought their 23mm Zuludiver 178 NATO straps for my two Citizen divers.

https://www.watchgecko.com/old-chest...atch-strap.php

I like having the perpetual calendar and radio control, but only one of my four Citizens has these features. It's not that much trouble to adjust the date on short months, but having accurate time on the RC models is nice.

I like the looks of all of them, but the Nighthawk may be the best looking and most iconic of the three. I've also seen a radio controlled version of the Nighthawk, without the GMT (airplane) hand.

I haven't seen a big selection of 23mm straps, but they are probably available in various places. I see that WatchGecko has some 23mm leather straps. I bought their 23mm Zuludiver 178 NATO straps for my two Citizen divers.

https://www.watchgecko.com/old-chest...atch-strap.php

I like having the perpetual calendar and radio control, but only one of my four Citizens has these features. It's not that much trouble to adjust the date on short months, but having accurate time on the RC models is nice.

I like the looks of all of them, but the Nighthawk may be the best looking and most iconic of the three. I've also seen a radio controlled version of the Nighthawk, without the GMT (airplane) hand.

I've read in a few places that the clearance between the watch and spring bars is very tight on the Nighthawk and that aftermarket straps are very difficult to fit. Is this true?

Metal bracelets are great, but I find leather and silicone to usually be more comfortable. I definitely want to have this option if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by hurley81388 View Post
    I've read in a few places that the clearance between the watch and spring bars is very tight on the Nighthawk and that aftermarket straps are very difficult to fit. Is this true?

Metal bracelets are great, but I find leather and silicone to usually be more comfortable. I definitely want to have this option if possible.
    I don't have a Nighthawk, but I wouldn't be surprised. All three of my 23mm lug width Citizens have pretty tight spacing between the spring bars and the watch case.

I don't have a Nighthawk, but I wouldn't be surprised. All three of my 23mm lug width Citizens have pretty tight spacing between the spring bars and the watch case.
    Do you think buying a Promaster Diver (BN0150-28E) with the rubber strap at $139.99 from Amazon would be a better watch?

And then buying an aftermarket 20 mm stainless steel bracelet? Looks like those run around $30-$40 on Amazon. Some cheaper, some more.

I’m wearing my Nighthawk right now. I bought it a few months ago from Creation Watches. Mine doesn’t have the Nighthawk name on the dial, which suits me just fine. I don’t like the bracelet and am mostly wearing it on a Perlon strap, more occasionally a Nato. It’s by far the better looking of your three choices. Good lume too. It’s a cheap and cheerful watch that does exactly what it’s required to do.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information