Satellite Wave F150 automatic time reception
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eric.S

Thread: Satellite Wave F150 automatic time reception

Hi,

It's been about 6 months since I bought my Satellite Wave F150 and I don't fully understand how the automatic time reception works.
    In the user manual it's stated that for the automatic time reception 4 conditions need to be met: no update done during the past 6 days, the time of the day must be between 6 AM and 6 PM, no power reserve mode activated and watch receiving strong light for 20 seconds at least.
    I have checked if the watch gets an automatic update under similar conditions and it seems that sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.
    For example, I've been out in the open several times on a sunny day with temperatures of 28-30įC and no clouds. The watch was in no power reserve mode, the time was between 6 AM and 6 PM and I suppose the watch was receiving enough light (when pressing the upper button all the hands were pointing to 6 o'clock). And still the watch refused to update all day. This happened many times, but at the same time I know that the automatic time reception does work because once every few weeks I check if the time is in sync and it is (second hand pointing to OK when pressing the lower button).
    Do you guys have any idea if there's some additional condition that has to be met and that is not listed in the user manual? Like maybe a strong light intensity variation that would trigger a check of the 4 conditions? I wouldn't imagine that a piece of code is constantly running and using up resources between 6 AM and 6 PM just to check if the 4 conditions are met...

Any remarks? Did somebody else noticed the same kind of behavior?

Thank you!

I briefly owned this watch. I was a bit confused too especially from owning multiband 6 which syncs daily.

My understanding is that the satellite wave does NOT sync automatically EVERYDAY even if all the criteria are met. It only syncs if the last sync was more than 6days ago. If it was just synced a couple of days ago, even if you are between 6am-6pm with sufficient power and gps reception, it still wonít automatically sync.

For same reason if you press button to check sync status, it will always point to ďokĒ if last sync is within 6days ago. In other words, if it synced on Monday, it will still show ďokĒ on Friday.

And my own speculation for that is because itís factory stated accuracy is +/- 5sec per month which means about 1sec every 6days. So it is set to sync every 6days to make sure itís accurate while still save power for not syncing everyday.
    tzin1 likes this.

Yes, that's right! It's supposed to sync every 6 days and this is indicated in the user manual, but in my case I am checking the sync status by pressing the lower button, the seconds hand points to "no" (so no sync in the past 6 days), then I point the dial straight at the sun for several minutes or just wear it normally for several hours and when I check again still no sync. Sometimes when I just bring the watch to the window on a sunny day, after 20 sec it syncs and other times wearing it into strong sunlight for several hours (at a race track, at the beach, etc) doesn't trigger a sync.
    I'm imagining it's the intensity of the light variation that counts like if I'm out at 8 AM under a morning sun (maybe not strong enough) and the light intensity gradually increases, this doesn't trigger a sync. But if I keep the watch in the shade at noon and then take it out into the strong sunlight, that might trigger a sync.
    I have no idea if this is how it works... Citizen support confirms that only the 4 criteria count and recommend I send it in for a check if I think the watch is not functioning normally.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Satellite Wave F150 automatic time reception

Not got a Citizen but one of my G Shocks is GPS and it took an absolute age to lock onto a satellite and alter the time. It was the middle of winter and I nearly froze to death in the garden while my stupid watch looked for a friendly satellite to chat to. Needless to say I wasn’t very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Not got a Citizen but one of my G Shocks is GPS and it took an absolute age to lock onto a satellite and alter the time. It was the middle of winter and I nearly froze to death in the garden while my stupid watch looked for a friendly satellite to chat to. Needless to say I wasnít very impressed.
    I was actually super impressed with Citizen F150 that I had. Even when I was indoors on my couch, any time I pressed to manual sync, it did that successfully within 5sec if itís just syncing time, and within 50sec if syncing location as well. Every time! Iím almost converted to GPS from MB6, not to mention gps automatically recognizes your time zone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nplus1 View Post
    Yes, that's right! It's supposed to sync every 6 days and this is indicated in the user manual, but in my case I am checking the sync status by pressing the lower button, the seconds hand points to "no" (so no sync in the past 6 days), then I point the dial straight at the sun for several minutes or just wear it normally for several hours and when I check again still no sync. Sometimes when I just bring the watch to the window on a sunny day, after 20 sec it syncs and other times wearing it into strong sunlight for several hours (at a race track, at the beach, etc) doesn't trigger a sync.
    I'm imagining it's the intensity of the light variation that counts like if I'm out at 8 AM under a morning sun (maybe not strong enough) and the light intensity gradually increases, this doesn't trigger a sync. But if I keep the watch in the shade at noon and then take it out into the strong sunlight, that might trigger a sync.
    I have no idea if this is how it works... Citizen support confirms that only the 4 criteria count and recommend I send it in for a check if I think the watch is not functioning normally.
    Iím not sure. I suspect it might be sensitive to consistent light, if you are wearing it as normal, your movement might make it inconsistent? To be honest no idea but I was never bothered at all. If I wanted to sync, I just press a button and 5sec later, itís done.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    I was actually super impressed with Citizen F150 that I had. Even when I was indoors on my couch, any time I pressed to manual sync, it did that successfully within 5sec if it’s just syncing time, and within 50sec if syncing location as well. Every time! I’m almost converted to GPS from MB6, not to mention gps automatically recognizes your time zone as well.
    Just goes to show how experiences can vary. One of my G shocks is GPS or BlueTooth and I tried to capture a satellite indoors with it - no chance so I went BT instead.

what do you mean by BT?

Quote Originally Posted by cary9719 View Post
    what do you mean by BT?
    BlueTooth

I think it must be related to light intensity variation.
    After several days with strong sun and clear skies, but no time sync I noticed that on an overcast day the watch just synced fine. So probably as long as the watch face gets enough light (hands pointing to 6 o'clock) the condition check is triggered by a variation in light intensity.