Citizen 2100 AV0050-54A review
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Citizen 2100 AV0050-54A review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Citizen 2100 AV0050-54A review

A few months ago, after selling nearly all my collection, I decided what I really want was an affordable mechanical chronograph. Due to budget issues, I had to either buy a used watch, or a new quartz watch. I went for a new quartz, aiming at a mid-ranged swatch group watch. An hour into my search on the web, they all started to look the same (except for some Hamiltons).
    A friend of mine owns an Eco Drive chrono as a daily beater, for the last 6 years, with no faults. So, I went back to the web and was pleasantly surprised. Even though most Swiss alternatives have better aesthetics, to me it seems that Citizen has more character. Considering looks, size, features and price, I bought the citizen 2100 caliber with a sapphire crystal, and here it is:

Attachment 977385

Some clarification is in order for future reference:
    1. This is NOT a flyback chronograph. It does not restart when engaging the reset button.
    2. Chronograph operation is NOT mechanical. Seconds hand moves in 1/5 second increments which may cause confusion.

Movement has the following features: Alarm, 12H chrono, date, power reserve, solar power charge. Alarm operation is made with a single hand, indicating the hour hand location of the required time. This means that if you want to set it to, let's say, 13:38, you would have to guess where the hour hand would be. In addition, alarm crown operation is tricky due to its size. On the other hand, it chimes well and could be turned on/off easily. Chrono operation is good, with clear subdials and a tachymeter. Start/Stop pusher does require some pressure but I consider this a good feature against accidental operation. Date display is very clear. Mind you this is not a perpetual calendar. Power reserve dial is straightforward, showing 3 levels of charge.

Dial accommodates all these features quite well, IMO. I like the contrast of the solar panels and the white-silvery face. One complaint I do have is the "SAPPHIRE" lettering on the seconds subdial. It could do without that.

Attachment 977390

Crystal is flat AR sapphire. At some angels you see the blueish AR. No complaints here.
    Case and bracelet feel VERY solid and are very comfortable on my 7`` wrist. Case is mostly brushed with a polished bezel.
    Overall fit and finish are very good and I doubt a Swiss alternative would be better.

To conclude, I can recommend this watch without hesitation. These could be had for 300USD (mine was 390 including EMS shipping and local taxes), and for that price you get a lot. It is accurate, well made, looks good, and will probably out live most quartz watches in your collection.
    Last edited by marzook; February 18th, 2013 at 20:05.
    eskerbillion likes this.

Re: Citizen 2100 AV0050-54A review

Thanks for the review. I actually searched this model in the forum search. I was debating on getting this model (AV0050-54H) or the white faced version (AV0031-59A). The 59A only has the mineral crystal were the 54H has the Sapphire. I can also get the 54H for about $20 less. The only complaint I have heard of the 54H is that with the steel face it looks busy and you can easily lose the hands and complications in the dial face. What do U think of the steel dial vs. the white and is having the sapphire vs. mineral crystal a huge tradeoff for white vs. silver in your opinion?

In my opinion, always go for a sapphire version. I can`t stand marks and scartches on my crystal, and I am quite clumsy. There isn`t a tradeoff there. You can get either grey or white dial versions with a sapphire.
    As for the color of the dial, I would have to say I like the white much better. It has a nice contrast to the solar panel. I guess I would have to see the grey dial in person in order to tell how it looks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Noice! God choice.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Brandon

I heard Citizen can swap a mineral crystal for a sapphire at a cost. I didnt know if this is true or not

true, about 100 bucks, at least for skyhawk models

good review, thanks for info
    "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending".

Quote Originally Posted by Mjduct View Post
    true, about 100 bucks, at least for skyhawk models
    I wouldn`t like to pay an extra 100USD and might compromise water resistance, when you can pay the same initial amount and have an original model. One of the great features of an Eco-Drive is the fact you don`t have to fiddle with it. However, you can spend around 500$ and buy a titanuim-sapphire version.

I'm not sure if anyone can help me I'm looking for a spare link for my citizen eco drive calibre 2100

Cheers in Advance
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by aussiedave View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone can help me I'm looking for a spare link for my citizen eco drive calibre 2100

Cheers in Advance
    Dave

ebay or watchbands.com or just use Google Search.

BTW this is an ugly watch. Sorry but my initial Amazon review of it was dour!

When my fiance offered to get me an engagement item I mentioned the "original" Calibre 2100 watch. Funny thing was the hotel we stayed in during our engagement weekend at Mohegan Sun, CT had an official Citizen Dealership in the lobby. This was July 4th weekend and they told us they no longer carried the "original" 2100 and had the new version on sale. I was excited to test the waters and jumped right in the pool.

That weekend I spent some time wearing this "facelift" version to the original Calibre 2100 that I always wanted. I also own a steel Citizen Nighthawk and a gold/brown-leather-band Citizen Minute Repeater Calibre 9000. So I'm no newbie to their amazing watches.

Compared to the original 2100 this new version immediately looks cheaper when you put it on. The design is not original at all. It looks like it belongs on a Walgreens watch display carousel next to the reading glasses.

The bracelet, the crown and the push buttons all felt loose and cheap. The semi-square bezel and monster size lugs seems to suggest that the watch can't make up it's mind on whether to be classic or modern.

The fit on my wrist compared to other watches was difficult and most guys that have medium sized or smaller wrists like me will find a hard time fitting this watch to wear comfortably. The issue for me is the shape of the face and bezel being long and wide relative to the band so there is this feeling of imbalance between the hefty 44mm case width (approximately 1 3/4") and super thin bracelet.

That said, feature wise the watch didn't impress me when compared to what the original 2100 offers. The only issue the original 2100 had was the mineral glass would scratch easily. On this new 2100 a scratch proof sapphire crystal glass is used. This is basically the only improvement over the original model.

However, those that are considering buying the original version over this new version should rest assured that Citizen will replace the mineral glass on the original version 2100 watched with the sapphire glass for a fee of $100+ and a turn around of 2 weeks.

So instead of paying the list price of $699.99 (or the actual retail of $500+) for this facelift 2100 watch it would be wise to get the original 2100 that still sells brand new on some online retail sites for as cheap as $259 and then paying $100+ extra to upgrade it to the sapphire crystal.

BOTTOM LINE: If you can get past the odd look and awkward fit then you may be happy with the features of this watch. For me Citizen has ruined a classic watch with unnecessary modern touches and no real upgrade to the features that the original had. Also it just felt uncomfortable on my medium wrist because of its design. I had to leave this monstrosity back in CT. Even as a gift I couldn't accept it for the price paid because I would never wear it. This watch gets only 1 star from me.
    adi911 likes this.
    Watches Omega Speedmaster 3520.50 - SEIKO 5 SNZF15J1 Pepsi Diver - Orient Bambino V2
    Casio Pathfinder PAW1100T Tissot Le Locle T41142333

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information