Citizen AT8010-23A Limited Edition World Chronograph A-T
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Citizen AT8010-23A Limited Edition World Chronograph A-T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Citizen AT8010-23A Limited Edition World Chronograph A-T

I've scoured the internet and this forum and haven't been able to find a dedicated review for this watch, so I thought I'd do my first with this one.

Overview:

To start this watch was everything I was looking for in a daily watch:
    -Leather strap
    -Numbers instead of indexes (I have this huge infatuation with them)
    -Eco drive (I was debating between this or a Tissot Visodate, which is an automatic)
    -Sapphire crystal
    -radio controlled (perpetual calender is implied)
    -Displays day and date

Extras:

The Movement is calibre H800, its antennae is at the 9 position
    -Power reserve
    -World timer for 26 cities (I believe 24 full hours and 2 half hour time zones) This in my opinion is great for travelling abroad =)
    -24 hour display (this was part of what made this watch the clear choice as I do a lot of long distance calling, having this handy knowing if its A.M or P.M is nice)
    - 60 minute Chronograpd that is accurate to 1/20th of a second

Here are a few taster pics for you guys =)

Disclaimer: I couldn't upload my own pics through the site , so I had to use a third party site. I also don't have very good camera gear, all photos taken are with a Samsung galaxy s3

I absolutely love this watch, this is one of those few instances where everything I wanted landed on the same timepiece .

Pros:

Size:
    The watch is wide, but not too much so. My small wrist aside this watch , with all that it has going on I personally find it a very efficient use of space on the dial.

Dial:
    I'm not sure if it shows up in the pictures, but the dial is textured adding to the depth of the watch. It may seem a tad busy to another person; but once you make sense of what's going on the watch could have been much more busy. For example: Water resistance and Sapphire crystal that's written on some models (not exclusive to citizen) which unnecessarily crowds the dial. Everything on this dial is functional and the blue hands on the subdials compliment the white dial very well. The rose gold numbers on this watch is HUGE, which works for me because I'm a firm believer of making the watch bigger so I don't have to hold the watch up (as far) to see it, First-world-Problems I know . Not bashing on small watches at all (think Hamilton Intra-matic in 38 mm <3, sigh, another story altogether). The date display is also a fair size, especially with the different shade of white which works well with the rest of the textured dial , and the rose gold outline on the date display.

Case:
    This is one of the most exceptional parts of the watch that shows the level of refinement and details that went into this watch.

The bezel, chronograph buttons are polished and the rest of the case is brushed. However, as the pictures may display, there is also a line of polished stainless steel that runs on the outside of the lug. This polished streak runs from top to bottom, I find this strategically brilliant because these corners and edges are where a big watch is bound to scuff. Polished steel , to me, seems to show less wear and tear than brushed.

H800 movement and chronograph:
    I'm not much of a watch maker, but I quite like this calibre because the chronograph can be accessed without pulling out the crown! I wasn't keen on the chronograph function at first, but I personally found that it works great for keeping track of parking, cooking and time spent procrastinating AMAZING USEFUL! Setting the watch isn't too hard either, it'll probably takes 15 minutes (anybody tried setting a SKYHAWK? oh .... buddy.....), but the instructions are very accessible online and the mini-cd that comes with watch that has a voice what walks you through if you choose not to read.

Power reserve and day:
    The power reserve is displayed at the 12 o'clock sub dial and the day is on the 6 o'clock sub dial. To get a reading on the power reserve, one has to push the lower chrono button. These features are a bit of a rarity with Citizen (working in a watch store, I stare at 90 pieces daily) so I commend Citizen for putting these features on in the fashion that they did without crowding the dial.

Crocodile Strap:
    Its Legit, I personally had to punch a hole between two holes. I'm currently sitting at the third last hole giving a very pleasant amount of tail with a single keeper ( single keepers are a personal preference of mine). The strap also tapers in thickness ( starts off at 4 mm at the lugs) and width ( 23 mm tapers to 20 mm). The straps are held by curved spring bars (quite a shock to find out because I didn't notice the strap ends were curved). This is a nice addition because the watch has a tad bit of height ~13mm and the straps do a great job of hiding this.
    The depoloyment clasp on it seems well made and I personally feel that its equal to the strap its on (I've ordered a few straps custom made, AND YOU BET YOUR SOCKS THAT I'D BE PUTTING THAT RHD DEPLOYMENT ON, Shout out to Bob Davis at mywatchmaker.net for customer service SO GOOD, its mind-blowing.)

Alright now for the CONS... because that's a part of every review, but I'd like to note that most of these things aren't really the fault of the watch.

I can't seem to get a sync from the Radio tower in Fort Collins,Denver (I'm in BC, Canada) anywhere I put the watch (in the house). Through extensive research and venting I've concluded its not the watch's fault but my geographic placement. Apparently there are these hills, called the Rockies, between Denver and I and I GUESS I can accept that those hills are in the way, but the watch advertises that I'm to receive a signal in North America. If I did know otherwise I may have reconsidered my purchase. What also didn't help the situation was when I emailed Citizen Canada about the matter, the rep gave me a rather generic answer that's out of the manual and didn't really seem to be genuine in helping me at all really.

here's the email:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Sam,

If the 2:00 a.m. reception is successful, the 3:00 a.m. reception attempt will not occur. The “on-demand” feature allows the user to activate radio reception manually. However, depending on the time of day, weather, radio nterference, etc., the on-demand feature may not result in a successful radio signal update and the watch may have to be manually set, such as when changing radio signal zones.

NOTE: Based on signal strength, it can take from 2 to 30 minutes to complete the radio reception update process. During the update process, the watch must not be moved otherwise the transmission signal may be interrupted
    resulting in an unsuccessful time/calendar update.

If your watch is not fully charged, then it will not receive the on demand signal. Please ensure that your watch is fully charged, and note that if you try the on demand reception many times every day, it will just use up the charge and prevent the watch from receiving the signal. Try leaving the watch on your bedside table to allow it to receive the signal between 2 - 3am, then check to see if it worked in the morning when you wake up.

If your watch still does not receive a signal, it is probably not set up correctly, and you can follow the link below to obtain reset instructions. Simply enter H800 as your movement calibre number, then click on get setting instructions and an interactive video will come up, guiding you through each step required to reset your watch.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-ca/support/setting-instructions/

Regards,
    Victoria

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"
    if you try the on demand reception many times every day, it will just use up the charge and prevent the watch from receiving the signal."

This bit was a tad condescending , after reading that I was thinking, "Well, No.effin..... Sherlock" But Alas, this is not the fault of this watch. Through asking around, I found that these radio controlled signals are rather dependable, and work for people and customers in general on a regular basis. I was just unhappy with the post-sale service of Citizen Canada. After this email was sent, there was no follow up , I also replied with questions regarding cost for pins I wanted to buy or at least get the specs for the pins (the thickness of the ends) which were also not replied.

The second bit that irks at me, is the clasp. This is also not the fault of the watch because I have a small wrist and I need a "medium" sized strap vs regular straps. Due to the the fact the the buckle end is too long (I think) the deployment clasp isn't sitting centred under my wrist. Because of its curved nature (of the clasp) it tries to correct itself under my wrist which drives the head of the watch to my outer wrist. Again not the fault of the watch, I just have small wrists (6.5 inch wrist).

WHAT IS THE FAULT OF THIS BLOODY WATCH IS:
    23 mm lugs, Its simply a bloody pain to find straps for this lug width. And sizing up in width makes it difficult to find straps in my length. I'm told that putting 24mm straps in these are fine and recommended, but this also comes with its own complications, but not feasible for my wrists. Therefore I'm had straps custom made by CADstraps (I'm not sure if he's a sponsor but he's def a regular on this forum) and Cloudyskyleatherworks <--- the later is a college guy. His work isn't professional, he's just started out, but as an aspiring student I appreciated his effort in starting his own business and being an all-round nice guy to deal with.
    Review for these straps when I get them (if you guys like this review ) =P

Well that wraps up my review, thank you for spending the time to read this amateur review, but its my way of giving back to this wonderful watch and community. Critics are welcome and appreciated. Please pardon my poor writing and pictures though, along with my blatant comma abuse.

Cheers

Last edited by Chrono-blueprint; March 26th, 2013 at 09:39.

Re: Citizen AT8010-23A Limited Edition World Chronograph A-T

There is ONE more con, but its momentarily slipped my mind =D

I'll add when I realize

Appreciate the excellent review Chrono-blueprint. Sorry to hear about your problem with the nightly time sync - hopefully it will work at least once in a while. I can confirm that there is seldom a reception problem from Ontario (which is mostly flat). Enjoy the watch!
    citizen skyhawk a-t titanium, world perpetual a-t limited, world chronograph a-t limited, satellite wave gps freedom, promaster blue angels skyhawk a-t
    omega seamaster professional, deville
    longines master collection moonphase
    seiko astron sast025
    lum-tec m25
    tissot racing-touch
    tag heuer 2000 professional
    casio lov-02b, prx-2000t, gwa-1000d, prw-6000y

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

^ sometimes, I'm so envious of the East coast.

thanks for reading =)

Very NICE! I actually have the blue angels version of this watch on layaway , but I think I'll see if the dealer can order this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono-blueprint View Post
    ^ sometimes, I'm so envious of the East coast.
    Don't assume we're much better off -- at least when it comes to radio reception in the building-forest of Manhattan...

JML

The antenna on that movement is beneath the "9" on the dial, as you know. At 2 am (or 3 am) leave the watch near a window, with the dial facing upwards and with the "9" pointing in the direction of Denver, Colorado.
    Last edited by JML; April 18th, 2013 at 02:15.
    ** Aérowatch Pilot Chronograph ** Casio Edifice EQSA500B-1AV ** Casio Edifice EQW-A1200RP-1AER ** Casio Oceanus OCW-T2600L-1AJF ** Centric Lightwell Chronograph ** Casio ProTrek PRW2500-1A ** Citizen AT4008-51E ** Citizen AT8020-54L ** Filson Mackinaw Chronograph 11000310 ** G-Shock GW3000BD-1ACR ** Limes Cartouche ** Limes Nightflight Vintage Black ** Maratac SR-35 DLC-X1 ** Seiko Seiko SRPA21 PADI Mod ** Seiko SRP777 Mod ** Sinn 356 Flieger ** Stowa Flieger Classic 40 HW ** Traser P6506 Commander **

Hi Chrono-blueprint,

I also just bought this watch and thinking what to do if I want to change the strap to black.
    You mentioned on your review:
    Crocodile Strap:
    Its Legit, I personally had to punch a hole between two holes. I'm currently sitting at the third last hole giving a very pleasant amount of tail with a single keeper ( single keepers are a personal preference of mine). The strap also tapers in thickness ( starts off at 4 mm at the lugs) and width ( 23 mm tapers to 20 mm). The straps are held by curved spring bars (quite a shock to find out because I didn't notice the strap ends were curved). This is a nice addition because the watch has a tad bit of height ~13mm and the straps do a great job of hiding this.
    The depoloyment clasp on it seems well made and I personally feel that its equal to the strap its on (I've ordered a few straps custom made, AND YOU BET YOUR SOCKS THAT I'D BE PUTTING THAT RHD DEPLOYMENT ON, Shout out to Bob Davis at mywatchmaker.net for customer service SO GOOD, its mind-blowing.)
    that the straps are held by curved spring bars.
    Does it mean that I have to get a strap that has curved slot also to fit with this curved spring bars?
    What strap do you end up getting?
    A photo would be nice.
    Also thanks for your review, it helps my buying decision earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjmoon View Post
    Very NICE! I actually have the blue angels version of this watch on layaway , but I think I'll see if the dealer can order this.
    I don't know if I am allowed to quote myself or not.......but, I actually ended up with the watch you reviewed and you nailed it! I actually really like this watch and try to put it into my daily rotation. Im going to pick up the black version with the red piping on the strap soon from a local retailer who only sells Eco drive, literally the largest selection I've ever seen!

Sorry to hear about the time problem. good luck and enjoy!

Name:  AT8010-23A.jpg
Views: 5676
Size:  27.9 KB
    The day my ship comes in, I'll probably be at the airport

Quote Originally Posted by QuidNYC View Post
    Don't assume we're much better off -- at least when it comes to radio reception in the building-forest of Manhattan...
    I don't have the AT8010-23A (beautiful watch, btw), but I do have the AT8025-51E. I can confirm that the radio sync also doesn't work in Chicago. I love both of the watches - they are beautiful. But can anyone confirm that they have gotten the Citizen AT syncs to work - location too?

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information