Citizen Attesa BY0094-52e (25th Anniversary Model)
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Citizen Attesa BY0094-52e (25th Anniversary Model)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Citizen Attesa BY0094-52e (25th Anniversary Model)

Inspired by a "City at Night" theme, this work of art by Citizen is a cold, unrelenting super titanium alloy masterpiece.

A magnificent Citizen expression of the fusion of technology with beauty. I'm sure you'll agree, this watch is very deserving
    of Japan's' 2012 'Good Design Award'. It is a Citizen 25th Anniversary Edition Eco-Drive, Radio Controlled and all Titanium alloy watch. It has a dual curve sapphire crystal.

Glancing at this watch I am reminded of something taken from a technologically advanced, seemingly utopian future
    (ala Minority Report or Artificial Intelligence), the design
    of the watch is far beyond its time and is the reason
    I decided to post this review... pure admiration and absolute awe at Japanese design.

I am by no means a watch enthusiast, however when I saw this watch (both in person and online)
    I knew this was a very special piece and I hope this review helps anyone thinking of buying one.

Name:  by0094-52e-18gg.jpg
Views: 3288
Size:  196.7 KB
    Name:  DSC_240GGggg3.jpg
Views: 3172
Size:  183.3 KB
    Name:  19545338krkjehggc6ppscvc.jpg
Views: 2883
Size:  231.8 KB

Design

The multi-faceted, layered design is an artistic expression of light and shadow with a strong emphasis on a three dimensional form.
    There is a strikingly handsome Citizen logo stamped on the inside of the sapphire crystal dome and it hovers ever so gracefully, adorning
    the front of the watch like a guardian angel, casting a black shadow across the dial. This is a small, unorthodox design feature that really
    adds a unique element to the watch.

Name:  DSC_23gg32.jpg
Views: 3210
Size:  271.0 KB
    Name:  DSC_234jj9.jpg
Views: 3141
Size:  162.6 KB

The dome itself is dual curve sapphire crystal and is ever so slightly raised to absorb (and reflect) light in all the right places.

The watch gives off strong reflections in all levels of lighting,
    adding great readability and clarity no matter how light or dark it is. The watch shines sharply, with razor edges that gleam with a mirror
    like finish akin to a samurai sword being unsheathed. These elements are carefully calculated to add depth, beauty
    and a high degree of visual appeal. Again, its hard for this to be portrayed in photos but in person its absolutely stunning.
    The blue luminescence is more than sufficient in low lighting and still visible in total darkness and looks wonderful.

Name:  DSC_2507gg.jpg
Views: 3203
Size:  149.2 KB

The case and bracelet is elegant and very eye-catching. They both utilise Citizen's Super Titanium alloy making
    it very light but highly durable with the watch also plated in Duratect DLC coating. This provides further scratch resistance making it
    about four times harder then its original form. Citizen uses a cylindrical titanium roller in the bracelet at each of the lugs.
    This Gyro Fit, is used for comfort but still looks great. The fit allows for better curvature around the wrist. The dual push
    button deployment clasp has a micro-adjustment that can be easily adjusted without needing any tools! This is very convenient if you
    want to adjust the bracelet length say for cold or hot weather, when blood-flow either constricts or dilates.

The watch is about 44mm wide, 14mm thick and weighs 95g. The thickness is accounted for with the deeply domed, dual curve,
    anti-reflective
    coated sapphire crystal. Its size and weight make it incredibly comfortable.

Name:  195513wlfmqblul7cz8kuj.jpg
Views: 2814
Size:  291.8 KB
    Name:  WP_20140520_15_46hhh0_Pro.jpg
Views: 3104
Size:  292.8 KB
    Please note: the following pictures are the only pictures I did not personally
    take.

Name:  $T2eC16d,!)0FIZ,tNuo+BSNoPYEmpw~~60_57.JPG
Views: 2900
Size:  183.0 KB
    Name:  by0094-52e_1.jpg
Views: 2783
Size:  142.9 KB
    Functionality

It gets better. The functionality of the watch is ingenious and EVERY function is effortlessly accessed with very little tinkering.
    The sub-dial closest to the 6 is your actual seconds counter while the chronograph seconds are counted by the
    second hand on the main dial (a small but particularly effective diversion from common design). To start or stop the chronograph
    simply hit the top right button (no need to pull the crown out), a very accurate chronograph (1/5th of a second up to 60 minutes)
    at your disposal any time with a simple push of a button!!

There is also a 24 hour counter at the 2 position which indicates AM or PM for the main clock.

This particular model has Citizen's Direct Flight technology which means that if you want to change the time zone well you're in luck.
    All you need to do is pop the crown out one click and start turning to cycle through 26 time zones seamlessly while the hands adjust
    themselves. Simply, elegant and damn good design. Furthermore, you can adjust Daylight Savings to be automatic or manual by
    pushing the lower right button (also with the crown out one click). This means you can retrieve Daylight Savings time adjustments
    automatically when the watch receives radio signals. The watch syncs to five radio stations located in four regions.
    The signal adjusts the time and calender (and if automatic Daylight Savings is on, DST as well). The stations are located at:

1. Japan (two stations, one in Kyushu, one in Fukushima)
    2. USA (Fort Collins station, Denver, Colorado)
    3. Germany (Mainflingen station, Southeast Frankfurt)
    4. China (Shangqiu, Henan)

Name:  DSC_249055.jpg
Views: 3134
Size:  228.5 KB
    Name:  DSC_24ggg80.jpg
Views: 3100
Size:  219.6 KB

The watch automatically recieves signal at 2am, if unsuccessful, at 3am, then 4am. You can also manually sync if needed.
    Near perfect accuracy, all day, everyday. Its wonderful peace-of-mind knowing you have such
    accurate time-keeping at your disposal.

Being an Eco-Drive watch, the watch can last an astonishing 4 YEARS in the dark when fully charged in sleep mode!!!!
    There is also a power level indicator at the 10
    which can be read after pressing the lower right button.

The Alarm is easily set by popping the crown out two clicks. To set the minute hand you simply turn the crown, then to set the
    hour hand you simply press the upper right button and turn the crown. Then you can turn the alarm on/off by pressing the right
    lower button. So easy!

CONCLUSION

One of the great things about it (and this surprised me the most) is that the Radio Controlled time works
    in Melbourne, Australia. With the time zone set to Sydney (+10) the watch automatically sets the
    receiving station to Japan (closest station). I actually wasn't expecting the watch to sync, but lo and behold, roughly
    every 2nd night, the watch syncs itself to the Japanese radio signal, ensuring I have accurate time all the time.
    That surprises me even more, as my other Radio Controlled watch the Citizen AT3014-54e
    (which also uses the Japan radio signal), does not sync anywhere near as often.

I cannot recommend this watch enough. It is definitely a dress watch and attracts attention due to its
    finely polished edges and mirror like finishing. It is the definition of technology fused with advanced design far ahead of its time.
    Keeping with its "City at Night" theme it captures the essence of smooth surfaces, light and shadow with deep multi-faceted
    layers
    that look absolutely extraordinary when viewed at different angles. Each time I look at this watch
    I'm absolutely captivated at
    how unique and advanced it looks. This one will be in my possession for
    many, many years to come.

Here's a final picture of the watch next to my other Citizen Attesa Eco-Drive Radio Controlled Titanium watch (AT3014-54e, my daily watch.)

Name:  WP_20140520_15_46_00_ProggggG (1).jpg
Views: 3057
Size:  291.1 KB
    Name:  DSC_2787hhhhhaghh.jpg
Views: 2970
Size:  249.8 KB

BONUS:

Found this excellent HD video that captures
    the wonderful light, shadow and reflections this watch gives off depending on angles viewed.
    A big thanks to the author of the Youtube video!

Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by grapedrink; June 19th, 2014 at 18:14.
    daveya, Shan S., Marrin and 2 others like this.

Re: Citizen Attesa BY0094-52e (25th Anniversary Model)

Great review, awesome watch! Attesas are great!

nice review. The watch is undeniably beautiful. Im amazed that you receive radio sync's in sydney all the way from japan! If it syncs in melbourne i might consider buying this watch!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by malignau View Post
    nice review. The watch is undeniably beautiful. Im amazed that you receive radio sync's in sydney all the way from japan! If it syncs in melbourne i might consider buying this watch!
    Thanks.
    I am in Melbourne :) I have updated my post, I should have made that clearer.

The time-zone setting for the watch is "SYD" (Sydney) as there is no Melbourne city time-zone setting.
    But its fine as its GMT +10, same as Melbourne and thus selects Japan as the closest radio broadcast station.

It receives signal at "Low" signal level, but still completes the sync fully.

I was also amazed considering my other Attesa rarely syncs (AT3014-54e). In fact it hasn't synced in months.
    Last edited by grapedrink; May 30th, 2014 at 15:25.

I thought this was report-worthy.

Woke up this morning and checked reception on the BY0094-52e. Amazingly it had received signal at "High" strength!!
    That's quite an amazing feat considering I'm in Melbourne, Australia. I'm sure Australians will be able to appreciate this tid bit of info.

Strangely enough, the AT3014-54e did not even attempt to Auto-sync? No idea why the Auto-sync isn't occurring (didn't occur at 2am or 3am)... hmnnnn. Anyone have any ideas?

Update: Solved "issue with AT3014-54e. Reference position was out of whack :)
    Last edited by grapedrink; June 3rd, 2014 at 11:59.

Wow your syncing in melbourne! Thanks for the info, i think you've inadvertently committed about 1k from my bank account ehehe.

Im going to japan in january, so i'm going to be looking at some pretty watches while im there.

Wow your syncing in melbourne! Thanks for the info, i think you've inadvertently committed about 1k from my bank account ehehe.

Im going to japan in january, so i'm going to be looking at some pretty watches while im there.
    :)

I believe you should be able to snag one for less than 1k (or a similar model). There are quite a few BY0094 variations.
    I can say with almost certainty that those BY0094 variations will also sync in Melbourne. So at least you have some choice.

Sad to say my AT3014-54e isn't syncing here :( Fortunately I have a manual workaround (saves me having to adjust the time myself).
    I chuck my watch in my PC headphones, crank up the volume and visit this site: Radio Time Pulse Emulator - Set your Radio Controlled watch
    Takes about 30 seconds to sync (have to make sure your PC time is accurate). Its a bit of mucking around but works a charm as the watch syncs.

Obviously that method is only for the AT3014-54e, the BY0094-52e syncs almost everyday by itself.

You're going to be surprised by this, but I got my BY0094-52e brand new for $550 on eBay (auction). Considering they are over $1100 under Global Rakuten and over $1200 on eBay its a steal.
    I was eyeing the auction till the last second and only one other person was bidding! One of those auctions that slipped under the radar I guess.

I recommend checking out Yodobashi as they sometimes have specials on. Otherwise I can send you locations for other places if you need help :)

wow half price! what a bargain!

I've got a few retailers to check out while im in tokyo; Jack road, Ishida and yodobashi. If you have any other reputable ones that i can check out that would also be awesome!

I'm going to purchase my Omega moon watch while im there, and planning one extra purchase if i dont end up spending my shopping money on clothes and food, possibly a gshock tough solar with world time or citizen atomic. We'll see what they have on offer and the prices they're listed at.

wow half price! what a bargain!

I've got a few retailers to check out while im in tokyo; Jack road, Ishida and yodobashi. If you have any other reputable ones that i can check out that would also be awesome!

I'm going to purchase my Omega moon watch while im there, and planning one extra purchase if i dont end up spending my shopping money on clothes and food, possibly a gshock tough solar with world time or citizen atomic. We'll see what they have on offer and the prices they're listed at.
    Wow, that Omega is one pricey watch!!!! Hopefully you get a good deal for it.

If you do have money left over I can definitely make some suggestions. I usually check online stores in Japan first (easier to scan for average prices using Google translate).
    Definitely helps to have certain models in mind, sounds like you are quite prepared which is good.

Enjoy the trip, I'm jealous! I got my AT3014-54e when I was over there. Great fun searching for good prices etc :)

haha yea i have to dig deep into my pockets to pay for it. However it's the cheapest entry watch into prestige time pieces which i intend to eventually start collecting (funds providing).

Thanks mate. I'll be posting graphic watch .... of the stores after i get back ;) keep your eyes peeled :)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information