Citizen BY0006-50E Chrono Time A-T H610 Two Tone Rose Gold Steel Signature Watch Reviewed

Thread: Citizen BY0006-50E Chrono Time A-T H610 Two Tone Rose Gold Steel Signature Watch Reviewed

Laughing Citizen BY0006-50E Chrono Time A-T H610 Two Tone Rose Gold Steel Signature Watch Reviewed

CITIZEN CHRONO-TIME AT Cal. H610
    model: BY0006-50E
    PURCHASED - June 2013
    REVIEWED - August 2013
    (bonus video review at bottom)

The BY0006-50e watch is one of those watches that starts a collection. One day you come across a watch of this caliber and style on the street and fall in love with not just it but the entire Citizen Eco Drive collection.

The BY0006-50E is also just as likely to be one of those final purchases that collectors look to for completing a collection. This is when after seeing the BY0006-50E a collector realize there is an empty slot in their watch display box where this piece fits in perfectly. This is how I came to obtain this watch. I saw it and realized exactly how it would fit into my Eco-Drive jigsaw puzzle.

There is one more H610 watch (The impossible to find in the USA Nighthawk Pilot) that I'm seeking to eventually complete my overall Citizen collection but this BY0006 is my final "over $300" purchase before taking a Watch buying hiatus to focus on other areas of my life. At $400 online sale/$750 original retail was it worth it? Let's find out.

1. In The Box:

With Signature Edition Citizen watches it is all about the packaging. However the BY0006-50E is NOT ORIGINALLY A SIGNATURE WATCH and instead comes in the normal cylindrical green Citizen box
    . I was lucky enough to get my hands on this empty Signature Box and packaging for my BY0006-50E in. I even modified the box and swapped in the paper contents so that the box now belongs to this BY0006-50E watch. As a result the pictures below is a Signature Box un-boxing with a non-signature watch inside.

Inside the cardboard box there is a nice soft leather case that is replete with fancy stitching and Citizen Signature logo embossing.

Under the case is a small leather holder wallet with more logo embossing. It sits in a small recessed pocket at the bottom of the box.

Under the leather wallet is the chunky H610 paper booklet manual. It doesn't fit in the wallet but it fits under it in the recess.

Inside the wallet is the Warranty Booklet, the Signature Citizen CD and the Getting Started Guide. It is a thin, felt lined, wallet and doesn't hold anymore than that.

Inside the main case sits the watch on a blue felt lined suede pillow and interior. I sort of wished the interior was another color like black, red or off-white to contrast the blue of the outer box and case.

2. Build Quality:

The BY0006-50E is a great looking watch. Even though at first glance the dial may appear to be on the busy side once you start wearing it you soon realize how easy and friendly the H610 Calibre Movement is. It tells the time, shows the time zone and date at the 4 o'clock window with a 60 minute chronograph on stand by ready to go with the press of a button. There is a 24 hour sub dial as well. Time keeping is guaranteed accurate due to nightly automatic radio updates and a perpetual calender movement inherent to the H610 movement.

I also love the BY000x series for having the most comfortable steel bracelets I have ever worn. The relatively light weight steel bracelet quietly wraps around and hugs your wrist with very little 'rattle' noise and a great range of fit and flexibility.

In the picture below is how it sits on my 7" wrists:

The single locking clasp is easy to maneuver yet it stays secure during those roller coaster life moments where your watch can go flying off your wrist at short notice.

The bezel, button and dial trimmings are all rose gold toned to contrast the polished silver of the steel. It looks good and conservative with no hint of being overbearing or gaudy.

The bracelet has some sprinklings of rose gold as well which can be tough to make out when the watch is under bright sunlight since the polished steel is very reflective.

My one issue with this model is the Lume is not as bright as my other Citizen watches. It also doesn't last long before fading off but when lit up it does looks good.

Another question on my mind is with the original retail price tag of $750 why didn't Citizen use genuine 14k gold plating. Already high at $750 a little more coin added on to the retail would put this BY0006 into Citizen Signature territory. This is the upper echelon region where Citizens can cost upwards to $2,000. Considering the design and feature set of this BY0006 watch I would have been willing to pay more for 14k Gold plating, Duratect-titanium and Sapphire glass.

On that note there is the 2500-count Limited Edition Crocodile Leather Strap/all rose gold-tone case, BY0003-07E, Chrono Time AT that retailed at $850. That ultra rare version came in a special leather lined wood box and the watch itself has Sapphire Crystal.

I really wish the rose gold tone plating of these watches were actual gold. Still what we already get is a very durable watch and I am sure the gold tone that Citizen uses will not fade or scuff easily over time. These H610 watches are all well made pieces.

One neat little trick is when pulling up functions that require reading of the sub dials the main dial hands move out of the way so you can see the sub dial info until the function is read or completed. I also read online that Citizen builds in a shock detection system that protects the internals during a fall.

The weakest build-part of this BY0006 watch would be that it uses a fairly flat Mineral Crystal glass on the face. Being flush with the bezel t looks good although the edges has a slight curve that lends a lensing effect at the slide rule bezel when the watch is viewed at an angle. I would have preferred a completely flat Sapphire Crystal. Especially with the hefty $750 price tag. Sapphire is more scratch resistant than Mineral Crystal glass and looks better.

The BY0006-50E is a light watch by Steel standards so one won't be longing for the Titanium version of this watch. Rather I should say there is no BY0006 gold tone/titanium version. I still wished Citizen offered that option. Especially after trying on a Titanium/Rose Gold BZ0016-50E Signature Chronograph in a outlet jewelry store and realized that the darker greyish shade of titanium and rose gold tone work well together. See picture below:

On the BY0006 the gold tone trimmings are so understated that the two tone effect can be drowned out by the bright polish of the steel when the watch is worn outside on a sunny day:

I will wrap up the review here since I have already wrote an extensive review detailing the Calibre H610 Movement that these Chrono-Time AT watches use so well. See link directly below:

Citizen Chrono-Time A•T BY0000-56L Blue Dial Atomic Reviewed

Click this bar to view the original image of 900x424px.

3. Bottom Line:

This is a great watch over all that I highly recommend for folks who love busy, yet easy to read, dials and functional movements. The H610 movement makes it a perfect daily watch that you never need to tinker with once you set your time zone and put it on your wrist. For me personally the two tone rose gold in this eye catching style is more of a casual summer season or vacation wardrobe companion than a business timepiece or yearlong daily watch. We have seasons where I live in New York and I most likely won't wear this watch during the cold snowy months

It has been a few years now since the 2009 debut of these H610 watches and Citizen no longer carries this model on their website but BY0006-50E's do tend to pop up online every so often from resellers asking between $400 and $500 for them in brand new condition. At that price for what you get it is a very good deal.

In 2013 I can't justify or recommend that anyone pay $750+ retail for a mineral crystal/steel watch regardless of how cool it looks.
    At $750 there are many newer models Duratect-Titanium and Sapphire Citizen Eco Drives to choose from that will give you a better value for that kind of money

4. Video Review:

Last edited by Delmarco; August 12th, 2013 at 23:56.
    Watches Omega Speedmaster 3520.50 - SEIKO 5 SNZF15J1 Pepsi Diver - Orient Bambino V2
    Casio Pathfinder PAW1100T Tissot Le Locle T41142333

Re: Citizen BY0006-50E Chrono Time A-T H610 Two Tone Rose Gold Steel Signature Watch Reviewed

Updated the review with more writing and better images;

Thanks and enjoy!
    Watches Omega Speedmaster 3520.50 - SEIKO 5 SNZF15J1 Pepsi Diver - Orient Bambino V2

Re: Citizen BY0006-50E Chrono Time A-T H610 Two Tone Rose Gold Steel Signature Watch Reviewed

Nice review of a nice watch.
    Omega Seamaster PLANET OCEAN 2208.50.00.Omega Seamaster 2254.50.00 .Maurice Lacroix Sphere.Tissot V-8 Big Size. Seiko Velatura Direct Drive SRH003p1.. SEIKO ORANGE MONSTER, Citizen SkyHawk A-T Oris Der Meistertaucher 49mm SEIKO SBDC005 SUMO SEIKO 007 SEIKO 009 PEPSI INVICTA OFFSHORE CLASSIC 49mm CRoTONAutomatic open heart GOLANA AERO PRO SEIKO 6139 vintage pepsi CASIO G-SHOCK Orient Mako XL and many others. Steinhart Ocean 1.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

WOW I just found this watch BY0006-50E at a Pawn Shop locally for 200 with all the links but no boxes! I will probably get it for 175 and post it here for sale, be on the lookout, it was amazing watch, I will get it tomorrow. Thanks for the great review...

Quote Originally Posted by Hectrrr View Post
    WOW I just found this watch BY0006-50E at a Pawn Shop locally for 200 with all the links but no boxes! I will probably get it for 175 and post it here for sale, be on the lookout, it was amazing watch, I will get it tomorrow. Thanks for the great review...
    Take some good HD pictures and you can get $500 for a mint condition BY0006 on eBay.

Thread Information