Citizen CB0131-59E Promaster Titanium Review (Initial Impressions with Full Review to Follow)
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Colderamstel
  • 1 Post By Colderamstel
  • 3 Post By Colderamstel

Thread: Citizen CB0131-59E Promaster Titanium Review (Initial Impressions with Full Review to Follow)

Close to the Southernmost Point continental USA

Citizen CB0131-59E Promaster Titanium Review (Initial Impressions with Full Review to Follow)

First of all, I am a fairly new member and never posted content here before so bear with me.

Today I am posting my initial impressions of the Citizen CB0131-59e. The stock photo follows:

Name:  s_1.png
Views: 1354
Size:  98.8 KB

This is my first Radio Controlled watch, and my first titanium watch, so there are a few features that I have not had enough time using to really decide if they are worth it.

First Obligatory Photos (please excuse low quality of photos)

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 1303
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  3.JPG
Views: 1311
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 1316
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  73.9 KB

So far there are a few things I can state about it, it looks stunning in person, the build quality is amazing, the titanium looks great, the dial is very easy to read, and the second hand hits the marks flawlessly. It took about an hour of sunshine/wearing to start ticking, then I had to reset it and set the time because I work in a concrete bunker and the radio was not reaching the watch. The watch weighs almost nothing, I hardly notice that it is on my wrist.

I did do a little research prior to purchasing it and found that it is slightly different from the JDM model (CB0130-51E) in that this model has a super titanium TIC treated case and band and the JDM model has a MRK treated super titanium duratect case. The difference did not matter to me. They are supposedly otherwise identical. I have heard that the polished portion of the links in the bracelet on the JDM model are different, but that is a detail I did not care for. I am not going into depth other than to say so far I really dig this watch, because I plan to return in a couple weeks to a month and post a full review detailing all the ups and downs of this model.

So far the Pros are:

Sapphire Crystal
    H145 movement
    Radio Controlled
    Nighthawk's good looks
    Titanium TIC Case (1000-1200 Hv allegedly)
    Lightweight
    Eco-Drive
    Looks (although that is subjective)
    W.R. 200 m (though not for scuba)
    Gorgeous Bracelet
    Perpetual Calendar through year 2100 (hoping to set it and forget it)!

and Cons:

Case back is not screw down
    Crown is not screw down
    Takes longer to charge because of extra features
    All bracelet links have two holes on each side (not sure why)
    $$$ compared to Nighthawk (which works well enough for its purpose)
    The texture around the bezel I dislike, would much prefer the brushed texture from the nighthawk

I look forward to updating this in the near future when I have had some real time with the watch.

Re: Citizen CB0131-59E Promaster Titanium Review (Initial Impressions with Full Review to Follow)

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  54.9 KB

Obligatory Lume shot.

Also a quick update, I managed to pick up the WWVB signal from Ft. Collins at the bottom of Key Largo last night around 4:00 am. This is something I found particularly impressive considering the distances between the signal and radio, and the amount of noise between the two. For more information see this site:

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/radioclocks.cfm

I found that particularly helpful when figuring out when to use the radio control function. When it did receive the signal the time was set three hours off, I had to reset the watch's reference number, so hopefully everything works like clockwork tonight and I can reach set it and forget it nirvana.

On a separate note still not fully charged after a day and a half of wearing it plus twelve hours under an incandescent light, and using the on demand radio function a lot.
    Last edited by Colderamstel; September 1st, 2015 at 19:19.
    HorologicOptic likes this.

Re: Citizen CB0131-59E Promaster Titanium Review (Initial Impressions with Full Review to Follow)

Last update for the day, also noted that the watch is labeled AnitMag 4800 on the back, I presume up to 4800 guass, still will take it off before an MRI or similar.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Official Follow Up Review…

I will couch this review in the following words, I am not a professional reviewer, and I have no experience in writing reviews. If the review is difficult to follow I apologize, sometimes my mind jumps all over the place. With those words in mind here is the final review:

Case:

The entire case is made of titanium and it feels light, it is like no other watch that I own. That is both good and bad.

I will start with the good: (1) the color is amazing, it is almost a gunmetal grey and stands out next to my stainless steel watches, (2) the weight of the material is like having a feather on your arm, (3) the DuraTec coating on the titanium is really holding up well (it has minor scratches in the clasp, but otherwise looks brand new even with daily wear), even in comparison to my Nighthawk which is stainless and looked worn after a couple weeks, (4) the piece is well built and sturdy as well.

The mediocre: (1) quality of manufacturing is good, but my piece as a couple areas where some attention to detail may be needed, in particular there is a lip around the edge of the bezel where it looks like the crisp edge was rolled in a bit during manufacturing, not really deal breaker but I am OCD.

And the bad: (1) really the only thing that is bad about this watch case is the tactile feel of the titanium with the coating, it does not smoothly run under your fingers and on your skin, it feels almost sticky. This is hard to describe and to the best of my ability it is that it does not feel smooth the way you expect it to, it has too much friction. Also it is fingerprint magnet, I find myself cleaning finger prints off the bracelet and case constantly.

Bracelet:

Most of what I said about the case applies to the bracelet in terms of craftsmanship and material, I will only note the unique differences here. It is almost identical to the nighthawk stainless bracelet in design. The only difference is that it is made of titanium, the edge of the links has two holes on every link where the linkage goes on the entire bracelet. And the middle link is actually two polished pieces sandwiched against a center link which is a really nice detail and draws the eye to the watch. Again it looks stunning in person.

The dial:

The dial is a dark grey and conveys a decent amount of information at one time. It is very easy to read and the contrast of the markers and hands is more than sufficient to make it very easy to read at a glance. The case and dial are approximately 45mm in diameter or about 2 mm wider than a nighthawk, though it appears to be slightly slimmer over all. The only downside to the dial is that the material they use for the solar portion is a little too grey and see through for my tastes, it takes away a bit from the over all impression if closely inspected. But that is part and parcel of an eco-drive watch. Can’t really complain about that. Finally, I would have really liked a clean dial without CITIZEN in the middle in large letters, it could be far more subtle and placed down with the promaster symbol.

The Lume:

BLUE, what more needs to be said, it is applied nicely if a little thin on the hands, it glows for a decent amount of time, a couple hours shy of the wonderful SEIKO lume on the SKX173, but more than usable if needed.

The Hands:

Typical sword hands for minute and hour, they look nice and compliment the style of the face and dial nicely. The second hand has no lume and is balanced by the insignia signifying that this watch picks up atomic clock radio signals (that potion is colored dark grey and blends into the dial.

The Movement:

This is where this watch won me over. First and foremost the second hand hits the mark every time, perfectly aligned. Second, it is a set it and forget it type watch, after the initial charging period (very long time), and a quick setup, it picked up the radio signal and sets the clock every night to the Atomic clock synced to the second. In addition, it has 40 time zones ready for an easy switch, and built in DST adjustments. I have not touched the settings in two + months and through DST switches and this watch has not missed a beat. For this reason alone it has become my daily driver. I am still not quite used to the quartz movement over my automatics, but it is awesome and growing on me. This hands down gets more wrist time than any other watch I own. It will also compensate for leap years and adjust days of the month automatically. It has a ridiculously long capacity for power, and I am looking forward to never touching the settings again.
    For more information on the movement head over to the Citizen site and look up. H145-E movement. It really is something amazing.

I think that just about sums it up. So in short, I love the watch minor flaws and all, I wear it more than any of my other watches, it gets compliments from everyone, it works like it should, it is a set it and forget it type device, and I highly recommend this model to anyone looking for a dressy, yet interesting watch.

Feel free to ask questions and forgive any lack of detail or typos in my review.

Since my eyes sight is falling, I prefer a simple dial on the watch with big luminous hands.
    many of my old watches is hard to see now, So now I shop for watches without glasses.
    Any thing that I could see is in my selection.

Thread Information