Citizen Eco-Drive Endeavor review CA0440-51E
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By 120
  • 1 Post By thewatchsnobs

Thread: Citizen Eco-Drive Endeavor review CA0440-51E

Citizen Eco-Drive Endeavor review CA0440-51E

I’ve seen a few mentions of the Citzen Endeavor here, but don’t see a full review, so I’ll try to give a decent one here. This is my first review here, but don’t be gentle. Any criticism is welcome, so long as it’s constructive.

A little background. I’m a 50ish NOLOAD U.S. Marine. My taste in watches runs toward functionality rather than flash, though I appreciate quality workmanship. I’ve been a fan of the Citizen Eco-Drive’s since I got my first one as a gift over 14 years ago (a perpetual calendar model that’s still going strong to this day). As of this writing, I have 5 Eco-Drives, the oldest being my first, and the Endeavor being the newest.

This review is specifically regarding the CA0440-51E. Stainless Steel, black face with blue and red highlights. It uses the Eco-Drive B612 movement. It’s also available with a white face, and in a rose gold model with a rubber bracelet. I’m not a fan of the latter. Just looks cheap to me.

I first saw this watch in, of all places, J.C. Penny’s. It was front and center in a display case and really caught my eye. It is, to me, massive. The case is 46mm. This is definitely the largest watch I own., the next largest bing a toss up between my Citizen Nighthawk and a Longines Conquest that I inherited.

I had been thinking about a dive watch prior to seeing this one, and at first glance, that’s what it is. I would argue, however, that this is not a dive watch. Even though it has a 200M WR rating, the styling in general, and the fact that the bezel is internal, moves it from dive watch into sailing watch territory. This seems to me to be a new incarnation of the old SailHawk line.

The face has a subtle nautical pattern. You’ll see a compass on the seconds sub-dial, a star on the 24 hour dial, and notice that the “24” on the 24 hour dial is actually composed of the nautical signal flag symbols for “2” and “4”. The face overall has a subtle pattern on it that is reminiscent of a compass as well. The red, white, and blue markings on the face immediately made me think “America’s Cup”. This is definitely a sailing watch.

The crown at 3 O’Clock adjusts the time and date in the usual manner.

The crown at 10 O’Clock adjusts the internal bezel in either direction. Neither is a screw down crown, which is part of what moves this from “diving watch” to “sailing watch” for me.

Pushers at 2 and 4 O’Clock control the 1/5 second chronograph. Start/Stop and Reset, respectively. The sub-dial at 12 O’Clock counts minutes for the chronograph, up to a maximum of 60, after which it stops, and the large thin ‘second hand’ counts in 1/5 second increments. (Seconds for normal time are reported on the sub-dial at 6 O’Clock. The sub-dial at 9 O’Clock displays the hour in 24 hour format. It can not be set independently of the time, and therefore does not constitute a second time zone.)

There is a date window at 3 O’Clock. If I have a criticism of this watch, it’s that the date window is a recessed a little too deep and the white on black date can be difficult to read sometimes. Over all, I’m willing to forgive this.

The lume is “OK”, but not great. The chromed hands and index markers help make up for this in low light, but in “no light” it’s not nearly as good as my Nighthawk.

It’s relatively heavy compared to my other watches, weighing in (sized for my relatively small wrist) at 174g (6.1oz) with the stock bracelet.

The workmanship is excellent, as is the accuracy.

As I mentioned, this is my fifth Eco-Drive. I have nothing but good things to say about these. I’ve seen varying reports of what to expect for the life of the secondary power cell in Eco-Drive watches, but since my 14+ year old Eco-Drive is going strong, I won’t be surprised if these are still running strong when my sons inherit them some day.

Photos to follow.

Re: Citizen Eco-Drive Endeavor review CA0440-51E

Just adding a photo or two of mine for reference:

Very pleased so far.
    ky70, Alex DK and aafanatic like this.

Good review, looks like a very nice watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TimSH View Post
    This review is specifically regarding the CA0440-51E. Stainless Steel, black face with blue and red highlights. It uses the Eco-Drive B612 movement. It’s also available with a white face, and in a rose gold model with a rubber bracelet. I’m not a fan of the latter. Just looks cheap to me.
    ------------------------
    Decent review, I would just suggest not injecting your personal feelings too much regarding other models (especially ones that you aren't reviewing). I have the "cheap looking" version and I have the exact opposite view of the watch than you do. This might turn some readers off, immediately. It's fine to say you don't like something, however, keep it somewhat neutral as to not offend people.
    xtornzvt likes this.
    -TWS
    ​Tag/ follow us on instagram! @thewatchsnobs

Thread Information