Citizen Eco Drive One AR5004-59H
Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By Nippon Rookie
  • 1 Post By mrhallorann
  • 1 Post By arnage

Thread: Citizen Eco Drive One AR5004-59H

Citizen Eco Drive One AR5004-59H

I have been contemplating the purchase of this watch since it was introduced last year. At the time, my dealer was only carrying the limited edition model. One thing I never do is buy first year models of products, so I decided to bide my time. From what I have been able to research on the internet, this watch does not seem to have generated a great deal of interest. There are a only handful of videos and reviews. I find this watch to be very appealing and it fills a void in my small collection. I was first drawn to it by the simplicity of the dial. I have been considering a formal watch for some time, especially one with a time only display, and this fits the bill nicely. Although the general consensus seems to be that formal watches should have a white dial and leather strap, this watch works for me.

I enjoy looking at the finer details of any watch. The Eco Drive One did not disappoint. From arms' length, the dial appears to be flat and uniform, without texture. Also, it has a sparkling quality when the light strikes it. Upon very close examination, the dial has small vertical stripes over the entire surface. The movement and case are very, very thin. Yet, on the wafer thin dial, Citizen created minute flat surfaces to apply the indexes, minute markers, and logo. The hour and minute hands are chamfered. This produces a nice contrast on either side of the hands and increases legibility. The Citizen logo is apparent, but not crying out for attention. The minute hand moves in small increments as it advances. I counted fifteen ticks from one minute to the next.

The stainless bracelet is nicely finished in polished and brushed links. It wraps easily around the wrist and sits well on the wrist. The buckle is a double lock type which some people may not find appealing. My opinion is that it gives the watch a more integrated and seamless appearance.
    The watch is listed as having a 39 mm diameter. On my medium sized wrist (7") it seems a good and balanced fit.

This watch will probably not appeal to a large number of people. Being an Eco drive powered, quartz movement, it will appeal to even fewer. This watch does speak to me, and I will enjoy wearing it. Who knows, it may even create some conversation.

Specifications:
    Calibre; 8826, Eco Drive(light powered) quartz movement
    Accuracy; +- 15sec/month
    Dimensions; Approximately 42 mm X 39 mm X 2.98 mm
    Case; Stainless steel, water resistant, cermet bezel
    Glass; Sapphire with clarity coating, anti-reflective coating
    Warranty; 3 years Japan, 1 year international

Name:  DSCN9350a.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  145.4 KB

The Cermet bezel provides a good contrast between the dial and bracelet. Its' color varies depending on the lighting.

Name:  DSCN9356a.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  142.6 KB

The inner ring also appears to change color in the light. Also, you can see the contrast provided by the chamfered hands.

Name:  DSCN9358a.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  241.4 KB

Barely visible in this photo, the flat surfaces on the dial for the placement of the indexes, minute markers, and logo.

Name:  DSCN9362a.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  192.2 KB

The double lock clasp. Was the inside of the clasp given added detail with machining marks, or is it simply unfinished?

Name:  DSCN9368a.jpg
Size:  88.8 KB

On the wrist.

Name:  DSCN9378a.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  101.0 KB
    "The trained mind does not need a watch. Watches are a confidence trick invented by the Swiss" - Chiun

Re: Citizen Eco Drive One AR5004-59H

Congratulations on your beautiful new watch. I am very impressed by Citizens accomplishments with this model, pushing the technical boundaries yet again.

I have no doubt its ridiculously low profile will spark conversation and garner compliments. Wear it with pride and in good health!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nippon Rookie likes this.
    Unabashed Citizen fan-boy

there's been very little first-hand experience posted about the Eco-Drive One series.
    I wanted to share my similarly positive experience.
    super-thin, as advertised, and in my opinion, a really remarkable achievement. it's a pity the watches did not pick up more interest (though they had two separate write-ups on Hodinkee)

Comments were of course quite mixed, with the mechanical and brand junkies criticizing it. I suppose the high pricing may not have helped, but who pays retail (unless it's a Rolex GMT BLRO or a Patek 5711/1a Nautilus.... ?

anyway... wanted to share a pic of my two Ones.

Name:  38OOcNd.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  89.1 KB
    Nippon Rookie likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

there's been very little first-hand experience posted about the Eco-Drive One series.
    super-thin, as advertised, and in my opinion, a really remarkable achievement. it's a pity the watches did not pick up more interest (though they had two separate write-ups on Hodinkee)

Comments were of course quite mixed, with the mechanical and brand junkies criticizing it. I suppose the high pricing may not have helped, but who pays retail (unless it's a Rolex GMT BLRO or a Patek 5711/1a Nautilus.... ?

Name:  38OOcNd.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  89.1 KB

RPF

Quote Originally Posted by Nippon Rookie View Post
    The double lock clasp. Was the inside of the clasp given added detail with machining marks, or is it simply unfinished?

Name:  DSCN9368a.jpg
Size:  88.8 KB
    That's a type of decoration called perlage. Typically it's only found on watch movements. Very few watch clasps are decorated. You see decoration like this on the bracelet of top Swiss brands like PP or VC.

Congrats!

[QUOTE=arnage;47972943]there's been very little first-hand experience posted about the Eco-Drive One series.

The limited edition model is a real beauty and the case design sets it apart from the other models. I am thinking you put an aftermarket strap on your other model?

I think the Eco Drive One is perfect as a formal watch.
    Last edited by Nippon Rookie; January 22nd, 2019 at 00:43. Reason: highlight quote
    "The trained mind does not need a watch. Watches are a confidence trick invented by the Swiss" - Chiun

Quote Originally Posted by RPF View Post
    That's a type of decoration called perlage. Typically it's only found on watch movements. Very few watch clasps are decorated. You see decoration like this on the bracelet of top Swiss brands like PP or VC.

Congrats!
    Thank you for the clarification.

Thread Information