Citizen Grand Classic Review
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Citizen Grand Classic Review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Citizen Grand Classic Review

Hi guys, this is my first review so I apologize if there are any inconsistencies or errors. Please feel free to correct me if I state something wrong about the watch. I just received the Citizen Grand Classic and could not be happier with my purchase. I bought it off of Amazon for $670 before tax (it was discounted). The watch came packaged in a nice Citizen Signature leather box and also came with a lengthy 5 year Citizen warranty. I feel like if this watch had a Swiss brand name on the dial it would easily be 2-3 times worth what it actually is. Now, on to the review.

Name:  Image.jpg
Views: 6667
Size:  78.8 KB

Movement: The Grand Classic houses the new Miyota 9010 movement which is 24 jewels, has a frequency of 28,000vph, and 42 hours of power reserve. I can't comment on the accuracy yet since I haven't broken in the movement, but will report back with an update after experimenting with positioning and comparing its accuracy to an atomic clock. It should be noted that many owners have been reporting superb accuracy (+ or - 3s per week) and some are touting this as a potentially legendary movement. The movement itself is beautifully decorated, and there is a nicely engraved Citizen "Signature" logo on the rotor.

Name:  Image 3.jpg
Views: 6736
Size:  116.0 KB

Case Features: The case is very well constructed and has a nice wrist presence for a sporty dress watch at 42mm in diameter, and the sapphire crystal is double AR coated so it looks as if you are peering right into the dial. Try as I might, I couldn't find any reflections off of the crystal, even under intense light. Everything is beautifully brushed and polished and I could find no inconsistencies or marks on the case. The case also features a date complication and is 100m WR (although no screw down crown). The crown is really solid with a buttery smooth winding, and no wobbliness while pulling it out and adjusting the date and time. While some people might be put off by the fact that the crown isn't signed, it doesn't really bother me considering how much watch you are already getting for the price. Another feature that is nice is the lume that Citizen applied to the hands and around the indices. It has that strong, cool blue Citizen glow, and is really nice in conjunction with the beautiful blued hands. The exhibition case back also features a sapphire crystal, and has a really interesting coin edge around the crystal itself. I think this adds a nice touch and spruces up the back of the watch.

Name:  Image 1.jpg
Views: 6612
Size:  80.9 KBName:  Image 6.jpg
Views: 6506
Size:  40.4 KB

Bracelet: The bracelet is very well constructed and features a nice combination of polished and brushed links and a dual push button deployment clasp that blends nicely into the bracelet. The clasp itself is made out of forged steel, and feels very sturdy with no wobble or squeaking at all. The end links are solid and fit so nicely between the lugs that the bracelet actually looks like it is built into the watch itself! My two big pet peeves with bracelets are spaces between end links and lugs, and squeaking. This watch does not have any of those annoying issues.

Name:  Image 2.jpg
Views: 6517
Size:  65.5 KBName:  Image 1.jpg
Views: 6496
Size:  68.2 KB

Summary: I am more than happy with this purchase and I can't believe this it is available for such a great price. I think Citizen really hit it out of the park with this model. Who knows, maybe in the future it will become a legendary timepiece within the watch community. I hope you enjoyed the review, and please feel free to ask me any questions about the watch or let me know if I missed any details. Thanks!

-Ian
    Last edited by IanGrey; January 30th, 2014 at 03:20.

Re: Citizen Grand Classic Review

Well done with the review and the pictures, and congrats on the new Citizen. I look forward to the many posts to come!
    IanGrey likes this.
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

Wonderful review. Thanks for documenting you experience. Now I just have to bookmark it so I can thrown it down when someone asks about the watch!
    IanGrey likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre View Post
    Well done with the review and the pictures, and congrats on the new Citizen. I look forward to the many posts to come!
    Quote Originally Posted by ken_sturrock View Post
    Wonderful review. Thanks for documenting you experience. Now I just have to bookmark it so I can thrown it down when someone asks about the watch!
    Thanks guys! And thanks again for your input in helping my decision between this and the SARB.
    Mediocre likes this.

Please also get the SARB033 and write a review!
    SaoDavi and IanGrey like this.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the great write up and lovely pictures.

Can you say anything about the screwed in crown guards ?

Specifically - are the crown guards held in place by the screws or are the crown guards part of the case and the screws are just there for decoration ?
    Last edited by Munchie; January 30th, 2014 at 11:34. Reason: re phrase question
    IanGrey likes this.
    Cheers

M

Current collection: Casio Oceanus T200, Glycine Combat 6 GL0106, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical H694190, Seiko Sarb 033, Citizen "Ray Mears" BN0118-55E , Casio Edifice EF-503D-1A, VSA Alliance, Citizen NY0040-09e, Seiko "Turtle" SBDY015, Lorus field watch RXF41AX7, Pulsar field watch PS9045, Seiko 5 SNXS77, SNXS73, Favre Leuba Vintage watch.
    Gone but not forgotten: Oris Big Crown Propilot, Seiko SKX009, Orient Star Classic, Citizen "Excalibur" BN0100-51E, Citizen NP4020-51A, Citizen BM8180-03E, Citizen BM6400-00e, VSA Officers day date
    Capture and release: Oris BC3, Hamilton Khaki Field, Timefactors Speedbird 3, Citizen World Timer CB0027-51E

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly Dude View Post
    Please also get the SARB033 and write a review!
    I still plan to get the SARB033 when money permits. It is definitely a beauty. Thanks for the interest! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Munchie View Post
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for the great write up and lovely pictures.

Can you say anything about the screwed in crown guards ?

Specifically - are the crown guards held in place by the screws or are the crown guards part of the case and the screws are just there for decoration ?
    Thank you! Great question. As far as I can tell, they appeared to be held down by the screws. It's kind of difficult to tell because the top part of the crown guard blends in really smoothly with the case, but the sides of the crown guard appear to be a separate piece. If I can get close enough to snap a photo I'll try to do so.
    SaoDavi likes this.

Lovely watch. Thanks for your review.
    Citizen: Eco-Drive BV1080-18A Longines: Legend Diver (No Date) Melbourne Watch Company: Flinders ☆ Obris Morgan: Branco, Predate Oris: Great Barrier Reef LE ☆ Stowa: Antea 390, Antea Poland LE, Flieger 2011 LE, Marine Original LE IITudor: Heritage Black Bay

Very well done review. A couple of wrist shots and pics of the crown would have made it even better. Congrats on a lovely pc.
    follow me on: https://www.instagram.com/rohantime

Rolex
    I Omega I Breitling I Glycine I B&M ISeiko

That lume seriously blows me away. Definitely have to consider this one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information