Citizen NP4040-54E - SARB033 killer!
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Citizen NP4040-54E - SARB033 killer!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Citizen NP4040-54E - SARB033 killer!

Hi WUS members,

This is one of my first message (and review) here, so - happy to be onboard and share my experience.

The story behind buying the watch is pretty simple. I've searched for a sporty dress watch, one I could put while wearing shorts & Jeans, one that will go perfect with a buttoned long sleeve shirt. basicly, one that won't be so dressy, but will have an appealing look with a modern twist.

Iv'e read tons of reviews about watches. There were one which I couldn't affored, ones that didn't follow my taste, other which looked like a homages and so on.
    Than, I landed on a thread which spoke about the SARB033. This watch looks awsome, but, I didnd't wanted the watch that everybody ownes.

One day, after almost pulling the trigger and buying the SARB033, I came across this amazing piece of horology - in a Russian forum (Thank you google for translating!) - BOOM! it was a complete match.
    The size of the watch, the simplicity yet complicated look, the refiend adges - it was (and still) love in first sight.

So, enough speaking about me, let's get into business.

The Citizen NP4040-54E holds a Citizen caliber 4150 based on miyota 8215. it's a 21 jewels automatic movement with handwinding feature. it got 40 hours power reserve and a day-date window.
    The watch is 40mm (however, feels like 39) with lug width of 20mm. The lug-to-lug dimensions is around 45 mm.
    The NP4040-54E got a sapphire crystal with a clear back case (the movement looks amazing!).

The case looks amazing, with stunning finishing, probably looks way out it's price range.
    It came with a beautiful and well structured solid end link bracelet which had been replaced to a leather strap which I find as a more appealing look.

last thing, the watch is a japan made watch (some say it's a JDM watch, which might be the case) - seems like the build quality is due to this fact.

That's it friends, please, feel free to ask any other piece of information which you might want me to publish and I'll do so.

With leather strap :
    Name:  citizen_1.jpg
Views: 1978
Size:  21.8 KB

Name:  citizen_2.jpg
Views: 1973
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:  citizen_3.jpg
Views: 1978
Size:  311.3 KB

With braclet :
    Name:  citizen.jpg
Views: 1971
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  citizen2.jpg
Views: 1977
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  citizen3.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  76.3 KB

Cheers,
    Mor
    mrhallorann and BigBluefish like this.

Re: Citizen NP4040-54E - SARB033 killer!

That is indeed a beautifully elegant watch. I've been wondering since I got into collecting Eco-Drives which watch would be my first automatic. Am I looking at it...?
    Unabashed Citizen fan-boy

Good question. I had the same question over and over again, till I found the answer ;)
    Is this your first automatic watch or you're referring to first Citizen automatic watch?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

To bad about the 8215 low-beat movement.

It would Really be a Seiko killer with a 9015 powering it.

As far as I see it, there are couple of aspects that should be higher for considering being a killer :

1. Unique - I haven't seen no one with it (except one in a russian forum). this alone makes the watch a killer ;)
    2. Price tag - it costs less than the SARB033
    3. Build quality - I found the bracelet as a high standard bracelet without any doubt! the one that the SARB033 holds is not so good.

However, the 8215 might be considered as outdated, but it's a reliable workhorse - this, longside with Citizen's QC, made me declare it as a killer ;)
    But, both you and me would like to have the 9015 beating in it... @Citizen - are you liste

Cheers,
    Mor
    mrhallorann likes this.

Very refined looking.
    Citizen Eco Drive Atomic Time AT4010-50E · Bulova UHF 96B230 Military · Gavox Aurora 446.1 ·Rolex GMT Master II 116710 BLNR · Orient Professional Saturation Diver

SARB is nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Formartha View Post
    Good question. I had the same question over and over again, till I found the answer ;)
    Is this your first automatic watch or you're referring to first Citizen automatic watch?
    I'm looking for my first automatic altogether
    Unabashed Citizen fan-boy

Hi,

Just found this thread. I have a question: Does the caliber 4150 hacks?

I want to have a Citizen mechanical at the same quality level as the Seiko SARB035 than I currently own.

Thanks and regards,

Miguel

I stumbled across this post...how, I really don't remember. Also looking for something SARB-like, but a little larger, a little less dressy, a little less expensive. A daily office watch, or just around town watch, when I'm not in jeans and wearing a diver (usually now a CWC RN Mk 2 or SKX013). I have a SARB033, but it seems to me a little small and dressy for daily wear. Works great with a suit though.

So I found one of these (maybe the last one?) on a Hong Kong site and for $200, though I ought to give it a try. It showed up when the site (and the USPS!) said it would...kind of remarkable in itself around Christmas time.

The OP has posted a bunch of pics, so I won't post any at present. The watch is 40mm (wears a bit larger due to the narrow and steep bezel?) has a sapphire crystal (which does not appear to have AR coating) and comes on a bracelet. While attractive, the bracelet is a faux split-link affair. While each link appears to have three sections, they are not articulated. That said, it is very comfortable with no pinching or binding. The clasp appears to be stamped, but it is very compact, secure, and is nicely done. There are, however, only two micro-adjustment holes. I am fortunate that I got a good fit removing one link and tightening up the micro-adjustment. I think I would still rate the SARB bracelet a little higher in quality, but I like this bracelet, and am impressed with it on a watch at this price.

The dial is inky black, mostly. But in sunlight, or very bright interior light, it reveals it has a very fine sunburst pattern. Nice. The hour markers are very SARB-like (VERY) except the lume is on the outer, rather then the inner ends and there is a bit more of it, slightly, than on the SARB. Hands are of the same style as those on the SARB, though not as nicely formed and finished, particularly the second hand, which just looks like a stamped steel needle with a paddle end. There is a day/date window, instead of just a date, which is fine on a more casual watch, but alas, black on white, rather than white-on-black, as it should be on a black-dialed watch. Also, the day and date do not quite align. I can't really gripe about this on a $200 watch. Well, maybe I can, a little. My SKX days and dates align. You can read gripes about the same issue on a far more expensive watch (and one which I hope to acquire one day, so I feel justified in mentioning it) in another forum here, which shall remain nameless. Let's just say on a watch at this price point it is a venal rather than a mortal transgression. :)

The chapter ring does appear to be well aligned. Hmm. Oh, Seiko, are you taking note?

The case is also SARB-like, though not, IMHO, as nicely polished as the SARB, though the brushing is on par. The Citizen case also has "stepped" sides, or something, not sure what to call it. I, frankly, don't see the point, but someone over there in Japan apparently thought this element looked good so there it is. I really don't notice it, so it doesn't bother me. The watch has a display case back, which is nice. Movement is as previously noted a Citizen tweaked 8215. It does not hack, but this is fine with me. A 9015 would be nicer. (But then it would likely have been a $275 - $300 watch and I would not have somewhat impulsively purchased it.) I don't notice the slow-beat sweep of the second hand unless I look at the watch with my bifocals, and that isn't something I regularly do, so I'm fine with the movement's frequency.

The crown is not screw-down, and WR is reported, at least by the site where I purchased it, at 100m. I dunno. I'll take that with a grain of salt. The writing on the caseback is too small for me to read. I'm going to treat it as 50m resistant watch. If I need 100 meters of water resistance in my office watch, well, I've got a lot more to worry about than what time it is.

So, am I pleased with it? Yes. Is it a steal at $200? Well, it's a bargain, but not a steal. You get an automatic with sapphire and clean conservative styling on a decent, good looking and comfortable bracelet. It's got a couple of deficiencies, but should serve quite well as daily wearer for those days when I am not doing anything more intensive than arguing with opposing counsel over the phone, walking to the deli for lunch, or lugging files to court and back. It works with business casual dress and can work with a suit or sportcoat and tie, and wouldn't be out of place with jeans and a button- down or polo shirt. Like the OP, I am surprised that this watch appears to have flown almost completely under the radar, even it was a JDM or Asia market only offering. It really is a watch that seems to be pretty versatile, at a very attractive price.
    Last edited by BigBluefish; January 3rd, 2019 at 23:30.
    The Now Not-So-Much Diminished WishList: Atticus Pelion ND (pre-order) Precista PRS-3 (upcoming quartz versioin, black); Precista Caribbean (undecided on color); Bulova Devil Diver (green or blue/orange); Yema Navygraf reissue; Casio T200; Casio A168WA-1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information