CITIZEN NY0040-09E Review
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: CITIZEN NY0040-09E Review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CITIZEN NY0040-09E Review

Hi all,
    It`s been too long since my collection included a mechanical watch. The need for a "tick tick tick" sound grew until my PayPal account could do no more. In a moment of absolute weakness (and darkness, my girlfriend better be asleep in time of `manly` shopping) I made yet another online purchase, on the amount of 149 USD (you could get it for less). Nothing special, nothing fancy, just a simple tool watch. Only papers, with no box to get past customs, which saved me some $$.
    I own it for 2 weeks now, and wear it around the house for the meantime.

Name:  SAM_0486.JPG
Views: 12160
Size:  131.0 KB

What you see is what you get. Stainless steel case, 20mm rubber strap and the 8200 workhorse do a fine job. The only 3 dislikes are the bezel feel (60 clicks, little wobbly), the gap between day and date wheels, and the weight of the case compared to the weight of the strap. It takes a while for the hand to get used to torsional moment. Yes, I am weird.

Name:  SAM_0484.JPG
Views: 12671
Size:  138.5 KB

Dial and hands are clear, with good lume. Dial is black, with an almost mirror like finish. I used to think it looks cheap, now I look at it as if it were an Eco Drive solar panel…

Name:  SAM_0478.JPG
Views: 12382
Size:  127.5 KB

The Crystal is a plain mineral tempered. It won`t last long with my clumsiness, but it is probably inexpensive to replace.

Name:  SAM_0479.JPG
Views: 11965
Size:  123.4 KB

Accuracy of the 8200 seems very good. I did not time it yet, nor have I checked its power reserve. It seems pointless as long as it doesn`t become way offset.
    2 more features to mind:
    It is a propper ISO certified dive watch.
    Position of the crown is brilliant!
    To conclude, yet another recommended watch. The seller would have the same in titanium, for the same price, sometime in the future.
    Thanks for reading
    Last edited by marzook; June 21st, 2013 at 11:44.
    dspodium, vene_lin, dan55 and 3 others like this.

Re: CITIZEN NY0040-09E Review

Looks great!

Update:
    Worn it daily for the past 2 weeks.
    Accuracy is very good, with a gain of +-7 seconds per day.
    Screw down crown is easy to use.
    Lume is strong and bright, but not as good as my seiko ska369.
    Rubber strap is very comfortable.

As written before, a recommended tool watch.
    dan55 and Timbre like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi, Great review!

Movement is the better one than 8200 (NY2300) its the great 8203 :)

cool good buy - just got a used one myself - love it!

Nice one. I've got a full lume version in the post. Looking forward to its arrival.
    dan55 likes this.

its a great little watch imo - my eco prime had to sit on the side lines for a few weeks after I got mine :D

I hope you still like your Citizen, I just ordered one for myself. I usually don't have luck with automatics but have never tried a Citizen auto. We'll see. Has the rubber strap gotten any softer with wear?
    Quote Originally Posted by marzook View Post
    Hi all,
    It`s been too long since my collection included a mechanical watch. The need for a "tick tick tick" sound grew until my PayPal account could do no more. In a moment of absolute weakness (and darkness, my girlfriend better be asleep in time of `manly` shopping) I made yet another online purchase, on the amount of 149 USD (you could get it for less). Nothing special, nothing fancy, just a simple tool watch. Only papers, with no box to get past customs, which saved me some $$.
    I own it for 2 weeks now, and wear it around the house for the meantime.

Name:  SAM_0486.JPG
Views: 12160
Size:  131.0 KB

What you see is what you get. Stainless steel case, 20mm rubber strap and the 8200 workhorse do a fine job. The only 3 dislikes are the bezel feel (60 clicks, little wobbly), the gap between day and date wheels, and the weight of the case compared to the weight of the strap. It takes a while for the hand to get used to torsional moment. Yes, I am weird.

Name:  SAM_0484.JPG
Views: 12671
Size:  138.5 KB

Dial and hands are clear, with good lume. Dial is black, with an almost mirror like finish. I used to think it looks cheap, now I look at it as if it were an Eco Drive solar panel…

Name:  SAM_0478.JPG
Views: 12382
Size:  127.5 KB

The Crystal is a plain mineral tempered. It won`t last long with my clumsiness, but it is probably inexpensive to replace.

Name:  SAM_0479.JPG
Views: 11965
Size:  123.4 KB

Accuracy of the 8200 seems very good. I did not time it yet, nor have I checked its power reserve. It seems pointless as long as it doesn`t become way offset.
    2 more features to mind:
    It is a propper ISO certified dive watch.
    Position of the crown is brilliant!
    To conclude, yet another recommended watch. The seller would have the same in titanium, for the same price, sometime in the future.
    Thanks for reading

I loved the blue

Excellent review! Well done. I love Citizen watches (One of my first watches) and I'm glad to see more automatics in their lineup. Having said that, the crown seems to be in an awkward position; do you ever have trouble with it? All the best with your new watch! Cheers.
    Seiko SKX007K2
    Rolex Datejust 1601

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information