Citizen Promaster Nighthawk just arrived!
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Citizen Promaster Nighthawk just arrived!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture Citizen Promaster Nighthawk just arrived!

Name:  P1010417.jpg
Views: 3718
Size:  54.9 KBName:  P1010413.jpg
Views: 3800
Size:  83.9 KBName:  P1010414.jpg
Views: 3626
Size:  64.2 KBName:  P1010415.jpg
Views: 3543
Size:  53.6 KBName:  P1010411.jpg
Views: 3544
Size:  105.7 KB

I've been waiting for this and it arrived a few days ago. This is my very first Citizen and I made the choice based on favourable watch forum and U Tube reviews, value for money and its good looks. According to the Citizen Watch Australian site, the RRP for this model is AU$699. On line surfing will enable a prospective buyer to find one a lot cheaper.

The bracelet required resizing as I am sure it would have fitted an 8.5 inch wrist so and I had to remove three links, which was not a problem, as the pins didnít have those wretched microscopic size collars that are on my Seiko. It fits nice on the wrist and isnít too large. Here are my statistics on this model:

Weight: 140gms (with 3 bracelet links removed)
    Case thickness 12mm
    Lug width 22mm
    Case diameter 42mm (excluding the crown)

The watchcase has a very nice satin finish. It is obviously stainless steel, but I am unsure what grade. It could be 316L, but I do not know for sure. The lugs are not overdone and nicely edged to match the crown guard and the slide rule wheel, both of which are knurled. The crown has the Citizen arrow motif. The case back and the crown are both screw in and the watch has a claimed 20BAR water resistance, which is unusually high for a watch aimed at pilots. I have seen many so called pilots watches with a far smaller BAR rating and costing a kings ransom, so its good to see this from Citizen.

The bracelet is well designed and made and the clasp has the double safety feature lock to minimize accidental opening. The clasp also has three holes for finite wrist sizing.

This is my first experience with Eco Drive and from what I read, itís a low maintenance movement that charges by exposure to either incandescent or solar light. There is a notice in the manual that it canít be overcharged, but one should not leave it in HOT direct sunlight for too long. I couldnít find how long the charges last, but I believe general daily wear is sufficient to maintain its continued operation. If you put it in a box for a week or two, it may need some daylight time to top up.

The crystal is flat and extends to the rim of the watchcase and about a millimetre in height above the metal edge. Unfortunately it is not sapphire crystal. There doesnít appear to be any AR coating so there is some reflection. I do like the crystal covering the entire dial, especially the slide rule. Many watches that have external bezels with chronograph calculations on them fade or wear out, so this was a big plus for me. It also makes the watch look larger. I had a Mido All Dial with a similar crystal and it was very eye appealing as well.

The dial appears complex at first as it has the circular slide rule around the edge and a unique half circle for the 24-hour time zone. This is one of the few true GMT watches that the user can set the 24hr hand on either his local time or GMT and then set the hour hand to whatever time is his local or visiting time zone without stopping the watch movement or changing the 24hr hand. For instance, where I live, I am GMT +10. I first set the watch on GMT time, then move the crown to the second position and regulate the hour hand to my local time or any other place I may happen to travel to. The date window has black on white numerals that are easy to read. The word Nighthawk does not appear on this watch anywhere, yet it is identical to those that do. This might be something to do with the country of manufacture and the case lid seal is more obvious on my model than others I have seen on U Tube.

The luminous paint has been applied to the outer tips of the indices and fully on the 12 and 6 numbers. The lume lasts along time and is a pleasant blue in color.

The Citizen Promaster Air Model BJ7010-59E is a quality made timepiece with unique features and design. It represents excellent value for money so long as you can get one outside of Australia.

Enjoy the pics!
    Last edited by STEVIE; August 23rd, 2012 at 06:31.
    Will3020, CCCP and Igorek like this.

Re: Citizen Promaster Nighthawk just arrived!

Mine should arrive tomorrow. can't wait! Thanks for the write-up

Very jealous. This will be my next purchase although it will be several months since I just received a watch. Thank you very much for the review.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One of my most favoritist watches. Incredibly comfortable, and IMHO, quite beautiful. Congratulations on a wise purchase. This is one of those watches IMO like the Monster...if it cost twice as much it would still be a bargain! Very nice finish.

I love my Nighthawk. It has taken a beating over the last 5 years and has never missed a beat. I need to get it polished.

Congrats on the Promaster, very nice selection, cheers mate !
    "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending".

I'm itching to get one of these after a friend of mine posted pictures of his. As with most people, I'm somewhat torn between the PVD/SS versions. I'm leaning towards the SS version, however, it's somewhat similar to my existing daily wear watch (which is in the first post of this thread).

Name:  ssc009p1.jpg
Views: 2470
Size:  47.9 KB
    Any comments to hopefully sway me one way or the other? (If there was a Dayhawk with a white face it would make my decision much easier )

EDIT: Forgot to add to ignore the price difference.
    Last edited by biatch0; December 28th, 2012 at 14:41.

Great watch, congrats

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to pick up a nighthawk with the white outer ring slide rule?

Had the brown "Havanna" model, sold it to buy Spork.

Now I am saving money to buy another one...excellent watch!
    WPAC OFFICIAL SENIOR BASHER

"your grail shall be bashed"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information