Citizen 'Spacemaster' Ref. 8410-C70040 TA
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kris The Swede

Thread: Citizen 'Spacemaster' Ref. 8410-C70040 TA

Citizen 'Spacemaster' Ref. 8410-C70040 TA

So, finding myself a bit of a Citizen fan as of late, after a few great purchases off the Bay, i was feeling gutsy and decided to try to acquire a Spacemaster. This is what i managed to find:

First impressions were mixed as the watch was advertised as working but with a dead battery, and after a battery change it was still dead, didn't react to the specific reset procedure that Citizen provides. On the other hand the watch feels barely used, it came with the original Green Citizen strap that seemed unused as well, so that led me to believe the movement was indeed working.

I decided to just leave it with the new battery installed for a good few hours and lo and behold, it came alive. The procedure to align the hands and the date wheel is somewhat involving, and quite hard on the fingers. Maybe the pushers on these watches were easier to push when new, but they are quite un-ergonomical due to being round, and takes quite a bit of force to depress. After aligning it was time for a manual receive, so i set the watch up for that and placed it close to my Junghans RC 2 table clock which i know receives a signal.

The 8410 movement is quite nice, it features a signal strength indicator, and as soon as a stable signal is detected the small red LED flashes satisfyingly.

The watch has alarm feature as well, i recommend everyone contemplating getting one of these watches to read the instruction PDF, available from Citizen.

All in all, i'm happy with my new watch, it's in great condition and working well. I especially like the caseback engraving which is typical of watches from the era sold in Germany, or so i'm told.

Feel free to chime in with any info you guys might have, such as what the TA means in the model name. I doubt the watch is titanium, it feels much too heavy for that. Possibly the caseback. Info on the watch is scarce, mostly german watch forums.

Re: Citizen 'Spacemaster' Ref. 8410-C70040 TA

I Have a Citizen Space Master which I got for my 18th birthday, I have not had it run for years. I plan to have it refurbished when I have the money. One of the gears/sprokets inside which is conneted to the mode switch dial has been damaged. The cost of repair is quite big. But I still love the watch, but not having the money to have it repaired has kept me from using it. I'll post a pic of it sometime.

I opted to have a steel bracelet put on it as the original grey/blue strap didn't suit it in my oppinion.

That's a great piece you have and i believe it's worth it to a) try to get a donor watch off ebay, then b) give dafydd ellis a ring and explain the situation. The manuals from Citizen, for at least my mov't(8410), goes into great detail in construction and lube guides, procedures etc.

I believe the high costs stems either from if the watchmaker has to custom-craft those mechanical pieces from scratch, replicating the original part, or getting a NOS/replacement mov't altogether.

Having a donor watch with the part intact means any watchmaker worth his salt will be able to repair the mechanicals, give a good clean and lube job, but if anything is/goes wrong electrically you're basically SOL.

May i ask what bracelet you got for your spacemaster?

Kind Regards,
    Kris

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello Kris

Well here in Denmark Citizen repair places is rather limited and many years ago when I had the watch inspected they could not do the repair them selves due to the complexity of it at the time so they would send it to Japan to have them fix it. Hence the huge cost for repais I guess. As to what bracelet it is I must confess it's so many years ago, 18 close to 19 in fact that I don't really remember if it's an original Citizen bracelet or not as I didn't much care at the time I just picked the one I thought matched the design of the watch case the best. It bears no Citizen mark on the clasp.

Here is a few pics of it as you can see it's been in the wars. Belive it or not but the corroded marks under the crown and buttons most clear in the third pic was done by my blood. You think I'm an alien? Like Ripley in Alien Ressurection? If you like those movies and remember that her blood had acidic properties. Anyway I hope you enjoy the pics.
    Name:  DSCF4200.JPG
Views: 1490
Size:  2.36 MBName:  DSCF4203.JPG
Views: 1487
Size:  2.33 MBName:  DSCF4204.JPG
Views: 1457
Size:  2.33 MBName:  DSCF4216.JPG
Views: 1476
Size:  2.34 MB

Best regards.
    Danny

Hi Danny!

Looks great on a bracelet. I'd give Dafydd Ellis a ring and see if he'd take a look at it, especially if you can find a donor watch he can scavenge for parts.

If it's anything mechanical he can fix it. Also Citizen has great info and drawings in their manual for this mov't.

Hope you get it ticking again, it's a beast. Am loving that red LED flash more and more.

Rgds,
    Kris

Hey Kris

Are you still happy with your Space Master? I have been in contact with Citizen support in Japan and learned that the parts for the Space Master was shelved in 2003. So it may be tricky to find anyone who still have parts in stock. But I will send it to the danish Citizen repair facility where I have been mailing with a really nice guy who knows the watch and who also loves it as much as you and I do. So I'll see what his verdict will be and if it's beyond repair then maybe I will try and find Dafydd Ellis you speak of. Do you have any contact info on him?

Best regards.
    Danny

Hello Danny!

Indeed i still love my Spacemaster. It started acting up a while back, wouldn't sync and would make strange noises. At first i worried that perhaps the electronic module was going bad.

But after a battery change all is well again. That battery lasted only a year(manual says 2 years should be expected), but i did do many, many manual receives and the battery was a generic one and not a brand name battery.

I'd say it is worth a shot with your danish fellow, and if i were you i'd look for a "donor watch" on eBay, as long as it has the same movement number, 8410 in my case, and is working, it should happily give up the part you need. They are usually not terribly expensive either, around 20-50 euros if you get lucky. The sellers wanting several hundred euros for theirs are high, mine was as far as i could tell unworn and cost me 40€.

If i were you i'd ask the Dane if it would be OK for him to do something like this, it's possible it is against Citizen repair policy to cannibalize watches like this.

I will dig up the contact info for Mr. Ellis just in case, but if you google dafydd ellis porthmadog he should be the first or second link that pops up, he has a jewellry shop in Wales.

I think it is great that you are putting in an effort to get your piece restored to working order, it will feel great once you finally have it up and running.

Warm Regards,
    Kris

Hello Kris

I will for sure send my watch to the danish guy whom I have been mailing back nd fourth with. I must admit I have also been looking on eBay but all the Space Masters I have been able to find have larger pricetags than €50.

Regarding to the battery life. I belive I do recall that the watch would start to act funny when it was time for a new one.

Best regards.
    Danny

I have just received a Spacemaster watch, It looks brand new and came in the original box. The watch is set up nicely and keeping time, I only have one question. Does the second hand after time receive stay at the 10 past the hour as in receive mode or is there a way to have the second hand move normaly. I have downloaded the manual but I cannot see where it says to release the second hand for normal use. I have some images of a watch not my one but shows the same condition as my own. Cheers stay well.Name:  citizen 8410 dial.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  35.2 KB

Thread Information