Which Citizens have radio time and a sapphire crystal?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Which Citizens have radio time and a sapphire crystal?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Which Citizens have radio time and a sapphire crystal?

Hello- so glad to find this site. I was planning to buy a Skyhawk because I wanted the radio time in a watch that would look good and I thought the slide rule function was cool in a nerdy way.

But then i noticed that they all have mineral crystals and I grew concerned because I really want this watch to look good for a long time and I would hate to have it scratched.

So a few questions for you guys who seem to know an amazing amount about watches: Is there a Skyhawk with a sapphire crystal, even if I have to buy it used? Is there another Citizen that has the radio time and sapphire crystal and still has the slide rule? If not, are there other Citizens I should consider? Or non-Citizens? Finally- do I really need to worry about a mineral crystal? Are they very scratch resistant? If scratched, can they be replaced? Is that very expensive?

Thanks for any help. I've always bought strictly utilitarian watches and I can't understand paying a lot for a watch that's less accurate than my $100 Casio. But, as a result, I don't know much about fine watches. Now I've had a pretty good year and I think I should start looking at least mildly prosperous.

Re: Which Citizens have radio time and a sapphire crystal?

Doesn't have a slide rule feature but world time which I find even more intriguing---the Eco-Drive World Perpetual A-T. Mine is a 25-56E with black case and band. I removed the band and put on a tan calf skin strap and it looks great. So, atomic time, world time, perpetual calendar, sapphire crystal and got at Costco for $279. From Oregon, it syncs every night with Ft Collins.

I just bought a Skyhawk a few days ago - on the back it clearly says "Sapphire" in large letters... Is this some kind of new model since others seems to have mineral glass fitted? It was bought in Sweden, looks like the usual steel Skyhawk with radio control etc.

Are all of tje new Skyhawks Crystalfitted as from a certain date?

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Hollingshead View Post
    Hello- so glad to find this site. I was planning to buy a Skyhawk because I wanted the radio time in a watch that would look good and I thought the slide rule function was cool in a nerdy way.

But then i noticed that they all have mineral crystals and I grew concerned because I really want this watch to look good for a long time and I would hate to have it scratched.

So a few questions for you guys who seem to know an amazing amount about watches: Is there a Skyhawk with a sapphire crystal, even if I have to buy it used? Is there another Citizen that has the radio time and sapphire crystal and still has the slide rule? If not, are there other Citizens I should consider? Or non-Citizens? Finally- do I really need to worry about a mineral crystal? Are they very scratch resistant? If scratched, can they be replaced? Is that very expensive?

Thanks for any help. I've always bought strictly utilitarian watches and I can't understand paying a lot for a watch that's less accurate than my $100 Casio. But, as a result, I don't know much about fine watches. Now I've had a pretty good year and I think I should start looking at least mildly prosperous.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mineral crystal will scratch in time. Sapphire will stay pretty much scratch free. Significant difference.

I am surprised that it doesn’t come with a sapphire crystal though, as cheaper Citizen models come with one.

JML

The new Blue Angels World Chrono AT8020-54L has sapphire, the slide rule, and radio time.

Name:  Citizen%u00252520AT8020-54L%2520%252306.JPG
Views: 5598
Size:  122.3 KB
    Last edited by JML; December 16th, 2012 at 16:22.
    ** Aérowatch Pilot Chronograph ** Casio Edifice EQSA500B-1AV ** Casio Edifice EQW-A1200RP-1AER ** Casio Oceanus OCW-T2600L-1AJF ** Centric Lightwell Chronograph ** Casio ProTrek PRW2500-1A ** Citizen AT4008-51E ** Citizen AT8020-54L ** Filson Mackinaw Chronograph 11000310 ** G-Shock GW3000BD-1ACR ** Limes Cartouche ** Limes Nightflight Vintage Black ** Maratac SR-35 DLC-X1 ** Seiko Seiko SRPA21 PADI Mod ** Seiko SRP777 Mod ** Sinn 356 Flieger ** Stowa Flieger Classic 40 HW ** Traser P6506 Commander **

I believe all Skyhawks bought outside of Japan come with mineral crystals which can be replaced with a sapphire crystal by Citizen in some parts of the world. If you like the slide rule, the Blue Angel World Chronograph A-T (model AT8020-54L or AT8020-03L) deserves a look. It also comes with World Time, stopwatch and of course atomic (radio time) features...
    citizen skyhawk a-t titanium, world perpetual a-t limited, world chronograph a-t limited, satellite wave gps freedom, promaster blue angels skyhawk a-t
    omega seamaster professional, deville
    longines master collection moonphase
    seiko astron sast025
    lum-tec m25
    tissot racing-touch
    tag heuer 2000 professional
    casio lov-02b, prx-2000t, gwa-1000d, prw-6000y

gtuck- I agree the World Perpetual is a good looking watch and if I could get that deal at Costco, I'd say good-bye to the slide rule. I'll look hard for that deal.

Thanks,
    Kevin

dilal- That's what I was afraid of.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Airbus, JML and cawatchfan- It looks like a Skyhawk with sapphire can be done if I look at unconventional sources- maybe ebay is my friend. Good info.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Last edited by Hollingshead; December 17th, 2012 at 05:53.

ok
    Last edited by Hollingshead; December 17th, 2012 at 05:55. Reason: post deleted for redundancy

cawatchfan and JML- good suggestion. ebay has a good selection of the AT8020 at some pretty good prices.

Thanks again,
    Kevin

Say airbus- which skyhawk did you buy with sapphire? Was it a Blue Angels AT8020? Still deciding whether I like the blue or the black. Is yours blue?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information